Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Can You Make With Corn Syrup?
DaycareMama 04:17 PM 04-02-2011
I bought alot of corn syrup to make discovery bottles with the kids but there will be a lot left over (Poor planning on my part ). What other crafts/fun things can we use some for?

I saw awesome ideas about using it to paint with so we will try that.

Any other ideas????
SilverSabre25 04:29 PM 04-02-2011
you could make marshmallows!
DaycareMama 04:31 PM 04-02-2011
hmmmm that could be fun with my own kids. Could you tell me how thats done ?? please
GretasLittleFriends 04:44 PM 04-02-2011
Babies poop was my initial response... My infant dd had some issues and that's what the ped. recommended... I've seen recipes for paint and for glitter bottle (or snow globe) crafts like you mentioned.

I would be interested in seeing the marshmallow recipe as well!!
mickey2 04:47 PM 04-02-2011
Candy Play Dough
This play dough is also edible.

Materials:
- 1/3 cup margarine
-1/3 cup light corn syrup
-1 pound box of powdered sugar
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-food coloring
-1/4 tsp. salt

1. Mix all other ingredients then add powdered sugar.

2. Knead until smooth.

3. Sculpt and eat.

Chocolate Clay

Materials:
-10 ounces of chocolate (chopped chunks or chips)
(Note: the chocolate can be substituted with almond bark, or colored candy disks to create different colors)

1. Melt the chocolate in a microwave for one minute. Stir. If chocolate is not completely melted, return to the microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir until smooth. If you don't have a microwave, place the chocolate in the top of a double broiler over hot water and stir until melted.

2. When the chocolate is melted, add the corn syrup and blend.

3. Pour the mixture onto a waxed paper sheet.

4. Spread the chocolate with your fingers until it's about 1/2 inch thick.

5. Cover loosely with waxed paper and let it stiffen for at least a couple hours or overnight. The chocolate will become very pliable.
jen 05:22 PM 04-02-2011
http://www.epinions.com/content_1840029828

Pinecone bird feeder with corn syrup!
DaycareMama 05:54 PM 04-02-2011
you ladies are great. Candy play dough will be a big hit and the pine cones will be great for monday. We are starting a unit on birds
SilverSabre25 04:50 AM 04-03-2011
There are LOTS of marshmallow recipes:

Marshmallow recipes
momofboys 11:30 AM 04-03-2011
I make some soft mints at Christmas (although they are good anytime of the year) & they have corn syrup in them. Here's the recipe: (If I am extra adventurous I will melt chocolate & partially dip them in chocolate for chocolate mints. Yum!)

Party Mints:

1/3 c soft butter
1/3 c light corn syrup
1 tsp mint extract
1 lb powdered sugar
green food coloring (if desired)

Mix butter, corn syrup, mint extract & food coloring in a bowl.

Slowly stir in powdered sugar. You may need to actually kneed it in as it will become quite thick. The consistency needs to be fairly thick so if you think it feels very soft/oily you may need to add a bit more pd. sugar. Once the sugar is completely stirred in roll the dough into small balls & place on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet. You can make a small indentation with your thumb on each mint for decorative purposes if you want. (this is helpful if you want to fill the indentation in with melted chocolate-that is what I do). Mints go in the freezer (yum!) & can be removed 1/2 hr before you want to eat some. Or you don't need to freeze them, we always ate them frozen growing up.
Enjoy.
MsMe 01:21 PM 04-03-2011
Originally Posted by Children First:
Candy Play Dough
This play dough is also edible.

Materials:
- 1/3 cup margarine
-1 pound box of powdered sugar
-1 tsp. vanilla extract
-food coloring
-1/4 tsp. salt

1. Mix all other ingredients then add powdered sugar.

2. Knead until smooth.

3. Sculpt and eat.

Chocolate Clay

Materials:
-10 ounces of chocolate (chopped chunks or chips)
(Note: the chocolate can be substituted with almond bark, or colored candy disks to create different colors)

1. Melt the chocolate in a microwave for one minute. Stir. If chocolate is not completely melted, return to the microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir until smooth. If you don't have a microwave, place the chocolate in the top of a double broiler over hot water and stir until melted.

2. When the chocolate is melted, add the corn syrup and blend.

3. Pour the mixture onto a waxed paper sheet.

4. Spread the chocolate with your fingers until it's about 1/2 inch thick.

5. Cover loosely with waxed paper and let it stiffen for at least a couple hours or overnight. The chocolate will become very pliable.
THANK YOU so much I have been looking everywhere for an edible recipe that is peanut free!!!!! Can't wait to try this on Monday!
DaycareMama 05:27 PM 04-03-2011
http://www.simmiecakes.com/tag/candy-corn/
momofboys 04:37 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by LLD:
THANK YOU so much I have been looking everywhere for an edible recipe that is peanut free!!!!! Can't wait to try this on Monday!
LOL! I didn't realize my mint recipe was almost exactly the same as ther play doh one. Too funny!
dEHmom 05:03 AM 04-04-2011
puff wheat cakes.
MaryPoppins 10:43 AM 04-04-2011
Rice krispie bars.
Missani 11:24 AM 04-04-2011
Make Special K bars! Yum!

You mentioned painting with it. I've heard that adding it to paint makes the paint really shiny looking. You could paint anything, but if you celebrate Easter at all with the kiddos, it would look really neat on paper Easter eggs.
Live and Learn 11:27 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I make some soft mints at Christmas (although they are good anytime of the year) & they have corn syrup in them. Here's the recipe: (If I am extra adventurous I will melt chocolate & partially dip them in chocolate for chocolate mints. Yum!)

Party Mints:

1/3 c soft butter
1/3 c light corn syrup
1 tsp mint extract
1 lb powdered sugar
green food coloring (if desired)

Mix butter, corn syrup, mint extract & food coloring in a bowl

Slowly stir in powdered sugar. You may need to actually kneed it in as it will become quite thick. The consistency needs to be fairly thick so if you think it feels very soft/oily you may need to add a bit more pd. sugar. Once the sugar is completely stirred in roll the dough into small balls & place on a wax-paper lined cookie sheet. You can make a small indentation with your thumb on each mint for decorative purposes if you want. (this is helpful if you want to fill the indentation in with melted chocolate-that is what I do). Mints go in the freezer (yum!) & can be removed 1/2 hr before you want to eat some. Or you don't need to freeze them, we always ate them frozen growing up.
Enjoy.
This sounds so good.
grandmom 02:21 PM 04-04-2011
peanut brittle
Tags:candy play dough, chocolate clay, corn syrup, marshmallows, party mints, recipe
Reply Up