Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Asking for Payment
Unregistered 12:17 PM 11-10-2011
Hi!
I am fairly new at home daycare and was wondering what you say to parents when they don't pay you on time.

I have a part timer who comes on Thursdays and Fridays. He always seems to "forget" to pay me.

What is a tactful way of saying "hey where's my money?"
learn-n-grow 12:46 PM 11-10-2011
Do you charge a fee for late payments? If so, have invoice ready on Monday with tuition due plus late fee owed. In my opinion, most of the time when they get that late fee, they will stop forgetting to pay.
cheerfuldom 01:25 PM 11-10-2011
I don't let kids come thru the door without payment. Stop worrying about being nice and start thinking like a business women. No pay, no stay.
hoopinglady 01:42 PM 11-10-2011
tactful? I say, "hey, where's my money?"
Meeko 02:06 PM 11-10-2011
As they turn to leave (hoping I won't say anything about payment), I cheerfully say "Have a great weekend! But I just need your check before you go!"

If I get an excuse, I again just cheerfully say "Oh...well then it'll be $$ plus $30 late fee on Monday morning if you want Cindy-Lou to attend. And $10 each day thereafter until caught up"

All said with a smile, but with a "no chance of letting the late fees go" look.

I try not to look awkward as that's what they are hoping for. They hope you'll just cave when they say they don't get paid til Tuesday and that they had other bills to pay() I don't show sympathy for their sob story and just smile and tell them how much it's going to cost them.
Blackcat31 02:34 PM 11-10-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
As they turn to leave (hoping I won't say anything about payment), I cheerfully say "Have a great weekend! But I just need your check before you go!"

If I get an excuse, I again just cheerfully say "Oh...well then it'll be $$ plus $30 late fee on Monday morning if you want Cindy-Lou to attend. And $10 each day thereafter until caught up"

All said with a smile, but with a "no chance of letting the late fees go" look.

I try not to look awkward as that's what they are hoping for. They hope you'll just cave when they say they don't get paid til Tuesday and that they had other bills to pay() I don't show sympathy for their sob story and just smile and tell them how much it's going to cost them.
That is pretty much exactly what I do too. I just give it a bit of a humorous tone and say somehting like "Don't forget your check or it will cost ya!" and then smile big.

ALL my parents are fully aware that late fees are non-negotiable and although payment is due on Fridays, I have many times cheerfully waved a forgetful payer off on a Friday evening (minus the check) knowing full well they will have it on Monday and it will include the additional late fees...no ifs, ands or but's.

It irks me when they "forget" their check book or conveniently use the last check blank at the grocery store right before they came to my house....but whatever. I decided long ago that I would not get bent out of shape about late payments.

I would just add a big late fee that made it easier to swallow, try to remember that sh$t does happen and make sure parents know that when it does happen, the late fees are non-negotiable and due the next day or no stay.
CheekyChick 02:42 PM 11-10-2011
You NEED to change your contract so it states that tuition is due on Friday, for the following week's care. If they don't pay on Friday, give them a warning on Monday that they have until Tuesday to avoid a late payment. If Tuesday rolls around and still no payment - it's an invoice with the late payment included. If they STILL don't pay, don't accept the child into care until they've paid in full.
Ariana 03:54 PM 11-10-2011
I always require 3 month advance cheques but whenever the 3 months roles around I send out an e-mail reminding them when payment is due, the amount and the dates. I'd start doing this if I were you then you're guaranteed to get payments on time.
Christian Mother 04:33 PM 11-10-2011
I require payment at the beginning of the week in hand at drop off. No $$ no care policy here. I've never had a problem although there are some that ask if they can pay me that fri. plus the following week. I'll except that. But they all understand that this something I won't allow all the time. If it becomes a problem and happens after the 3rd time then I'll add a addendum onto my revised policies in Jan. 1st of extra fees for not paying on Mond. So far It hasn't come to that. I am sure all my families will be upset if one family ruins it for them. Specially since I only have 4 families.
wdmmom 07:56 PM 11-10-2011
Conveniently forgetting their checkbook conveniently nets you a late fee!

And when they show up Monday morning with no payment and no late fee, send them away with a "Happy Monday" greeting They'll get the drift!
Tags:late payment, late payment policy, money owed
Reply Up