Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Valentine's Day Questions
Josiegirl 09:10 AM 02-01-2014
It seems like we just finished Christmas prep and parties, now here we are approaching Valentine's Day with amazing speed. Good thing is that we'll be that much closer to spring!
Anyways, does anyone have any cute craft ideas? There were such adorable ideas for Christmas on here, now I need some more inspiration. Also, do you get the kids anything, or fill a goodie bag, have a party, what do you all do?
My group consists of 20 month old- 3 1/2 yo. I'm thinking make and decorate cookies with them, then get them each a pack of stickers or something. I don't know really. I used to buy books or stuffed animals for all of them, it can get expensive and I just don't have that kind of $ anymore.
So, any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks so much!!
nothingwithoutjoy 09:38 AM 02-01-2014
I set up a valentines-making "buffet" for the week or two before Valentines Day. (A segmented basket with red-and-pink paper, stickers, heart cutouts, ribbon scraps, red markers, etc.) We decorate bags or boxes or something, because lots of parents like to bring valentines. We read valentine's books. I make liberal use of my heart-shaped cookie cutter: apple rings with heart-shaped holes, heart-shaped sandwiches, etc.
Maria2013 09:53 AM 02-01-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
, does anyone have any cute craft ideas? !
I was thinking the same thing, and since I'm always stamping hands and feet, hubby suggested I stamp the kids butts and make Valentines hearts ...he said I would need permission slips, I think he was serious
pandamom 11:03 AM 02-01-2014
Last year we "illegally" (can't celebrate holidays in our center) made a heart mural. The kids LOVED it! We got a big piece of cardboard and gave the children pre-cut hearts (also a no-no!) and glue and had them glue them down. THen we had them put a handprint on it and snapped a photo of them to give to parents.
Josiegirl 01:25 PM 02-01-2014
Cute idea pandamom! I don't have a camera. But I could do the rest of it. And yes, we make everything heart shaped too. Gotta hunt out my Vals. decos. this weekend.
Nothingwithoutjoy, I like the apple ring idea! I also will gather lots of 'collage' materials and just let them have at it. I know we've made card holders out of stapling paper plates together.

Time to check out pinterest and lose the rest of my weekend.
daycarediva 05:41 PM 02-01-2014
I got plain white hanging hearts from Michaels, plain white hearts, plain white goody bags, and v-day themed crepe paper, stamps, glitter glue, stickers and foam pieces (all for around $10). They will be out the week of V day to decorate.

I am doing a card exchange, having a treat (red and pink heart shaped sugar free jello jiggers ), and everyone is dressing in red/pink. We will watch Charlie Brown's valentine special during lunch prep.

I have six 2-4.5yos every day.
Jack Sprat 09:19 PM 02-01-2014
We took pics of the kids and are going to mod-podge them on tiles for coasters. They background in pic is a fleece blanket that is pink with hearts, the kids are holding a pink heart as well. One dcb hangs out in his skivvies all day so his little belly is hanging out. I know his parents will love it as this is his normal attire at home. For the kids I got them zipper pulls and we are making truffles. We also painted hearts that we cut out of some homemade clay.
NeedaVaca 07:31 AM 02-02-2014
I will do some sort of of handprint craft for the parents, the kids and I will make heart shaped crayons out of broken crayons -I have a lot of those I also took pictures of all the kids with their hand held out in a fist and I will cut above and below the hand to slide a lollipop (organic) in for a valentine card for the parents. I get most of my ideas from pinterest!
Happily_wed 09:12 AM 02-02-2014
Pinterest has tons of ideas for crafts. That is my go to place for ideas!
TwinKristi 02:11 PM 02-02-2014
I was thinking of doing a bouquet of flowers with hand prints in red and draw/paint the vase and stem/leaves myself. We have some hearts up on the wall with their names and will do Valentine's (sticker boxes not candy) and some cupcakes for the big kids and mini muffins for the little ones. My SA range from 6-12 and then the babies range from 17mos to just over 2yrs.
Reply Up