Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terminating Contract for Child Who Screams ALL DAY
Unregistered 02:18 PM 01-09-2020
I own a large family daycare. I have a little girl (a year and half now).
When she started back in December of 2018 she was crying all day and we never knew why but we had less kids so we were able to adjust schedules. We spent all our time and money buying new activity centers, toys, books, anything that would help her adjust to daycare. We assumed she was colicky and just tried to make her as comfortable as possible.

Her constant screaming has become intolerable. It is literally piercing. Every single other child will complain and cover their ears because it is SO loud and unbearable. She screams the worst during meal times, sometimes for more food, sometimes to get out of her chair sometimes just to scream. We taught her baby signs and she will sign “more” and “all done” but if we don’t react the SECOND she does it, it’s a 45 min long screaming melt down.

If we are inside working on curriculum or doing group play, she will scream to go outside. If she wants milk that very second, she screams until she gets it.

She has not once been able to sit and participate in an activity with the other children because she is constantly running/going from center to center. We have never given into any of this behavior. We don’t pick her up if she is screaming. Only if she is crying from actually being hurt or upset. We have been incredibly consistent since day one, focusing on positive reinforcement.

We have decided that it is finally enough. We have so many more children at the daycare that need love and attention but it is impossible due to the screaming and tantrum throwing all day long.

We want to move forward with terminating the contract, however we are scared of repercussions. This child’s parent will definitely throw our name under the bus, and wouldn’t be surprised if she tried to sue us.

Looking for any kind of advice or encouragement!

We both have SERIOUSLY high tolerance for crying/screaming, etc.
Unregistered 03:00 PM 01-09-2020
I would phrase the termination as being in the best interest of the child. At this point if she has not settled in, then it is not the right fit for their child. Along with that, it is group care and the frequency of screaming and disruption takes away from the positive care environment for them.

Are your other clients aware of the screaming?
Rockgirl 03:02 PM 01-09-2020
I don’t blame you! In fact, you’ve tolerated it much longer than I would have. It sounds like you’ve tried everything under the sun to help her.
WBee 07:52 AM 01-15-2020
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I own a large family daycare. I have a little girl (a year and half now).
When she started back in December of 2018 she was crying all day and we never knew why but we had less kids so we were able to adjust schedules. We spent all our time and money buying new activity centers, toys, books, anything that would help her adjust to daycare. We assumed she was colicky and just tried to make her as comfortable as possible.

Her constant screaming has become intolerable. It is literally piercing. Every single other child will complain and cover their ears because it is SO loud and unbearable. She screams the worst during meal times, sometimes for more food, sometimes to get out of her chair sometimes just to scream. We taught her baby signs and she will sign “more” and “all done” but if we don’t react the SECOND she does it, it’s a 45 min long screaming melt down.

If we are inside working on curriculum or doing group play, she will scream to go outside. If she wants milk that very second, she screams until she gets it.

She has not once been able to sit and participate in an activity with the other children because she is constantly running/going from center to center. We have never given into any of this behavior. We don’t pick her up if she is screaming. Only if she is crying from actually being hurt or upset. We have been incredibly consistent since day one, focusing on positive reinforcement.

We have decided that it is finally enough. We have so many more children at the daycare that need love and attention but it is impossible due to the screaming and tantrum throwing all day long.

We want to move forward with terminating the contract, however we are scared of repercussions. This child’s parent will definitely throw our name under the bus, and wouldn’t be surprised if she tried to sue us.

Looking for any kind of advice or encouragement!

We both have SERIOUSLY high tolerance for crying/screaming, etc.
I feel your pain! I had a baby, just like this, who screeched all day long, didn't sleep well, woke up others, etc. I kept him for just under two years due to the same fear-losing a good rep. I finally put an end to it, carefully, after the VERY LONG duration of stress filled days. I had also told the parents that it was really stressful and needed to change. "Let him cry it out, etc." After all of the effort I repeatedly put into this child/parents, once terminated, they won't even look at me in public. Such unappreciation for what I went through. End it now and save yourself the headaches!
daycarediva 10:16 AM 01-15-2020
Are the parents aware of the behavior?

Have a conference. Make sure it's written out (just facts, no emotion) and let them know that if there is no improvement in X time period that by X date, she will need to find alternate care. That 'baby' is a toddler, and is not thriving in group care. Suggest lower ratio/nanny care.
Tags:assessment, attachment parenting problems, co-sleeping and daycare, rage baby, referral, screamer, screams all day, terminate - bad fit, terminate - screaming
Reply Up