Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD Milk
Unregistered 06:20 PM 04-05-2011
One of my DKCs is lactose intolerant. The Mother agreed to supply the milk. I am on the USDA Food Program and must supply milk at EVERY meal except snacks. If I do not supply milk I can not claim that meal. The Mother has started slacking off on supplying the milk. (Pediasure) She doesn't even pay for it as she has told me WIC supplies it all to her free of charge. I told her when she enrolled I had to supply milk for every meal. Now she informs me that her child doesn't need that much milk, one a day is fine. Problem is now there will be one meal every day that I can not claim for feeding because there is no milk product. She doesn't seem to care so should I just eat the cost or try to persuade her to send more milk. OR is there another alternative I am missing?
MsMe 06:34 PM 04-05-2011
My state food program as an 'allergy exemption' form. Maybe yours has something like this? Then even of the mother does not supply the special milk you could still serve water and count the meal?
Unregistered 06:41 PM 04-05-2011
Do not accept the child into care without the supplies required. When she shows up at the door without the things you need (diapers, wipes, change of clothes, milk....) tell her that the child can not stay until you have the things you need to do your job. And if it is required of you by the State then it is required for you to do your job.

It's in my policy handbook that all children must come ready for the day and that includes having all the supplies that they need.

Do not suck up the extra expense and buy it for her!
cheerfuldom 06:42 PM 04-05-2011
If you don't have any recourse according to the program then I would require she send the milk per your licensing instructions OR let her know that you will purchase it and charge her for it. That should light a fire under her. Not bringing milk is not an option.
MsMe 06:53 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
If you don't have any recourse according to the program then I would require she send the milk per your licensing instructions OR let her know that you will purchase it and charge her for it. That should light a fire under her. Not bringing milk is not an option.
Also a very good idea. Your home Your rules.
Unregistered 07:00 PM 04-05-2011
With the food program in my state if the parents supply ANY part of the you may not count the meal from my understanding. So if the parent is bringing the milk you can't count it anyway. Check with you food program and see what they say. Also if you have a note from the doctor that she cannot have milk than you can serve water and count the meal. I had a little girl who was gluten intolerant and her parents had to supply everything for her to eat.
littlemissmuffet 07:02 PM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Absolutely. I charge enough money per child per month in my daycare fee to cover grocery costs of feeding the DC kids (I'm in Canada and not lisenced, so no food program here)... this is how for-profit businesses operate. As much as I love my DC kids, I CAN'T do it for free, as I live in the real world where everything costs money.
If mom isn't providing the milk, I would and up the the weekly/monthly fee to include the cost of child's lactose-free milk so I could still claim the meal. If she has a problem than she can leave... only to likely encounter this same issue elsewhere.
Mandy_Jane 08:47 PM 04-05-2011
My daughter is not only intolerant to milk, she is downright allergic! We learned that the hard way when she was 8 months old and fed her a yogurt and ended up in the ER. I definitely feel for you on the mom not bringing the Pediasure. Although, I'm almost positive that contains milk, as that was something I checked in to for my daughter? Anyway, I was on the food program for a time, and I had a child in my care who was a vegetarian. All I had to do was get a signed doctors note stating his diet was approved/acceptable, and then I could claim him on the form. I honestly wouldn't lose a good child over not being able to claim them on the food program. Just ask the mom to supply you with the doctors note to keep on file. I can say however, that I would NEVER take my child somewhere for the day without making sure she had some soy milk on hand to drink if needed.

On a side note, water is very healthy for kids, so you may just need to stick with that for a while until her mom gets the message.
Meeko 05:41 AM 04-06-2011
Our food program just has the parent and their doctor sign off on the child being allergic to something. That way we still claim the meal and don't have to serve that particular item.

The food program even pays us to feed the babies breast milk their mothers have pumped. They tell us that we still have to freeze it, thaw it, warm it and serve it, just like any other food. We therefore get paid.
momofsix 05:43 AM 04-06-2011
I'm not sure that mom should supply the milk anyhow. Isn't the purpose of the food program to reimburse you for for part of what YOU spend on food/drink for the children? It seems unethical for you to be reimbursed for something you are requiring mom to provide.
Not trying to be rude/judgmental, that's just the way I understand the food program.
Lilbutterflie 05:54 AM 04-06-2011
I don't think she's trying to be reimbursed for something only the mom is providing. She's providing the entire meal. She can't claim any of it unless there is milk served. She just wants to be reimbursed for the out-of-pocket expenses for his meals.

I definitely would call the food program about your situation; I am sure they can provide a solution.
momofsix 06:04 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by Lilbutterflie:
I don't think she's trying to be reimbursed for something only the mom is providing. She's providing the entire meal. She can't claim any of it unless there is milk served. She just wants to be reimbursed for the out-of-pocket expenses for his meals.

I definitely would call the food program about your situation; I am sure they can provide a solution.
OK I get it now. thanks!
Unregistered 07:57 AM 04-06-2011
The food program requires a Doctors note stating that a child needs an alternate item. It is fine to serve the alternate but that alternate MUST then be served at the meal or I can not claim any part of the meal. Water is given through the day but it can't take the place of milk during a meal or again I can not claim it.

As for me being reimbursed I only get a portion of actual cost. If I would go out and buy pediasure I would be in the hole deeper than if I just served juice and didn't claim the meal, so I told her I am not going to supply it. Also consider the fact that WIC supplies this parent with whole cases of pedialite free of charge so I feel she can pass it on here for her child. It costs her nothing. If the child were eating at home she would have to supply it there.

I called WIC today and inquired about the amount a child would be elligible for and I was told at least 48 but usually a child gets 72 cans depending on what the doctor had advised the child to have. He is here 5 days a week so when I do the math I don't see where the problem is (20 cans a month est). That leaves her with 52 can still at home. I wouldn't tell the WIC lady the name of the client of course due to the privacy policy and I wouldn't want to open that can of worms anyway. The WIC lady says it sounds like the Mother is not being honest and may be possibly selling it as they have had occurences like that in the past where they discovered parents got the special provisioned items to sell them for a cheaper cost and pocket the money.

I am going to give the Mother a copy of my food program regulations and show her that I NEED the pediasure or I can not be paid for the meal. I am thinking about adding this issue to my contract as well. Something like: If I am un able to claim a child on the food program for any reason the parent will then be required to supply the meal or have addition cost added.

It never fails, a new issue pops up to be added to the contract with almost every new client.
Blackcat31 08:26 AM 04-06-2011
But if she has the mom get a Special Diet statement form filled out by the parent then she can be reimbursed for the entire meal (minus the milk) the mom doesn't need to supply it and she can if she wants the child to have it but otherwise just skip it.
squareone 11:19 AM 04-06-2011
Increase her weekly tuition rate (by whatever 5 cans of pediasure a week will cost) and just buy the special milk yourself. Even if she starts bringing the milk or brings a doctor's note she still pays the increase. It will be an inconvenience fee for you
Unregistered 01:30 PM 04-06-2011
If she's gonna charge an "inconvenience fee" for purchasing pediasure, then she needs to charge an "inconvenience fee" to all of the other daycare families as well for having to purchase the food their child needs to eat throughout the day. How is it an inconvenience for her to pick up the pediasure when she's already out shopping for her daycare groceries? This is getting ridiculous. If this is a good kid, I wouldn't be putting up such a fuss about this. And, if you want to claim it and get reimbursed, then YOU need to be the one purchasing the pediasure anyway. I had to buy the formula for my infants when on the food program. Some required soy formul because of lactose intolerance. Should I have charged more to those parents, since I had to buy soy instead if milk based formula? Because honestly, it's the exact same thing as what's happening here.
snbauser 04:02 PM 04-06-2011
You need to double check with your food program on the rules. The food progam is actually a federal program and all of the rules are supposed to be the same regardless of what agency is overseeing your particular program. The federal program says that in order to be paid for the meal the provider must supply ALL components of the meal. If there is a allergy or restricted diet exemption it must be on a doctors note and it must list what should be served instead. Whatever is listed as the substitue MUST be provided by the provider. The only exceptions are for infants and only for formula and breastmilk where the rules are a little different. So if she is lactose intolerant then you should have a doctors note on file that says what she should be served in place of milk. If it says a lactose free milk then you are supposed to provide it in order to claim her meal, not her mother.
I have 3 children enrolled that have doctors exemptions. One can not have egg products, one gets water instead of milk, and the other is allergic to milk and has to have soy milk. I have to provide the soy milk and a substitue for the products that have egg in them or I can not claim ANY of the meal. Yes it's a pain but it is the requirement.
jen2651 06:19 PM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by snbauser:
You need to double check with your food program on the rules. The food progam is actually a federal program and all of the rules are supposed to be the same regardless of what agency is overseeing your particular program. The federal program says that in order to be paid for the meal the provider must supply ALL components of the meal. If there is a allergy or restricted diet exemption it must be on a doctors note and it must list what should be served instead. Whatever is listed as the substitue MUST be provided by the provider. The only exceptions are for infants and only for formula and breastmilk where the rules are a little different. So if she is lactose intolerant then you should have a doctors note on file that says what she should be served in place of milk. If it says a lactose free milk then you are supposed to provide it in order to claim her meal, not her mother.
I have 3 children enrolled that have doctors exemptions. One can not have egg products, one gets water instead of milk, and the other is allergic to milk and has to have soy milk. I have to provide the soy milk and a substitue for the products that have egg in them or I can not claim ANY of the meal. Yes it's a pain but it is the requirement.

I know this doesn't answer the question, but my food lady was just at my house and told me I could chose one type of formula and if they opted to not have their child use that brand, it was their responsibility to provide an option. But, that is their choice and I am still allowed to claim for that meal as I 'offered' the parents a certain type of formula and they chose not to partake. No different than if they provided breast milk!
snbauser 06:21 PM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by jen2651:
I know this doesn't answer the question, but my food lady was just at my house and told me I could chose one type of formula and if they opted to not have their child use that brand, it was their responsibility to provide an option. But, that is their choice and I am still allowed to claim for that meal as I 'offered' the parents a certain type of formula and they chose not to partake. No different than if they provided breast milk!
Yes that is correct for infants. That is why I said the rules were different for infants for formula and breast milk. I didn't state what the rules were because it didn't apply to this situation.
nannyde 03:33 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by jen2651:
Yes this is our rules too. I offer a generic odd brand and haven't had a parent want it yet. Most of my kids have been bf though in recent years.
nannyde 03:59 AM 04-07-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
The food program requires a Doctors note stating that a child needs an alternate item. It is fine to serve the alternate but that alternate MUST then be served at the meal or I can not claim any part of the meal. Water is given through the day but it can't take the place of milk during a meal or again I can not claim it.

As for me being reimbursed I only get a portion of actual cost. If I would go out and buy pediasure I would be in the hole deeper than if I just served juice and didn't claim the meal, so I told her I am not going to supply it. Also consider the fact that WIC supplies this parent with whole cases of pedialite free of charge so I feel she can pass it on here for her child. It costs her nothing. If the child were eating at home she would have to supply it there.

I called WIC today and inquired about the amount a child would be elligible for and I was told at least 48 but usually a child gets 72 cans depending on what the doctor had advised the child to have. He is here 5 days a week so when I do the math I don't see where the problem is (20 cans a month est). That leaves her with 52 can still at home. I wouldn't tell the WIC lady the name of the client of course due to the privacy policy and I wouldn't want to open that can of worms anyway. The WIC lady says it sounds like the Mother is not being honest and may be possibly selling it as they have had occurences like that in the past where they discovered parents got the special provisioned items to sell them for a cheaper cost and pocket the money.

I am going to give the Mother a copy of my food program regulations and show her that I NEED the pediasure or I can not be paid for the meal. I am thinking about adding this issue to my contract as well. Something like: If I am un able to claim a child on the food program for any reason the parent will then be required to supply the meal or have addition cost added.

It never fails, a new issue pops up to be added to the contract with almost every new client.
I doubt if she is selling it. It sounds like she just wants all the cans for her house. If she has the full supply at her house then she doesn't have to be sparing about it. She can treat it like regular milk... toss out old without a problem AND she can give her kid MORE of it if she doesn't have to supply it for breakfast and lunch at your house.

I'm suprised WIC allows for this substitution. With a kid being on WIC from birth to five that's a TON of money.
Tags:food program, lactose intolerant, milk
Reply Up