Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Sent A Certified Letter To Former DCF, Now My Belly Is Doing Flip Flops!
melilley 10:27 AM 12-05-2014
Yesterday I sent a certified letter to the family that called Monday and told me that they could no longer pay for care. It states that they owe for two weeks (per contract), plus $10 a day for late fees and if it's not paid then it would be taken to court. (more professionally worded)

I don't know why, but my belly is doing flip flops! I have never had to do anything like this. At first I felt bad, but dcm was supposed to come Tues. to pick up dcb's tote full of stuff and also talk about a payment plan. She never showed up or called (supposedly both dcm and dcd's phones got shut off).
After thinking about how much I let them get away with these past almost 2 years (they were late a few times, lied, bounced a check, paid late; I didn't charge for any of this) and they do this, I don't feel bad at all.

My stomach is still doing flip flops though. I keep tracking the letter to see if they signed for it yet...lol
CraftyMom 10:38 AM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Yesterday I sent a certified letter to the family that called Monday and told me that they could no longer pay for care. It states that they owe for two weeks (per contract), plus $10 a day for late fees and if it's not paid then it would be taken to court. (more professionally worded)

I don't know why, but my belly is doing flip flops! I have never had to do anything like this. At first I felt bad, but dcm was supposed to come Tues. to pick up dcb's tote full of stuff and also talk about a payment plan. She never showed up or called (supposedly both dcm and dcd's phones got shut off).
After thinking about how much I let them get away with these past almost 2 years (they were late a few times, lied, bounced a check, paid late; I didn't charge for any of this) and they do this, I don't feel bad at all.

My stomach is still doing flip flops though. I keep tracking the letter to see if they signed for it yet...lol
Glad you are standing up for yourself! Their financial issues are unfortunate, but they are not your problem
butterfly 10:41 AM 12-05-2014
I'm proud of you melilley!!!
melilley 10:41 AM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Glad you are standing up for yourself! Their financial issues are unfortunate, but they are not your problem
Thank you, my dh said the same. He said they don't care what they did to our family financially (we are fine, but it's the principle), why should I care. (except in not so nice terms...lol)
CraftyMom 11:03 AM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
Thank you, my dh said the same. He said they don't care what they did to our family financially (we are fine, but it's the principle), why should I care. (except in not so nice terms...lol)
Sounds like my husband...he would have said well ____ them then. They don't care about ____ ing you!
melilley 11:06 AM 12-05-2014
Sounds like my husband...he would have said well ____ them then. They don't care about ____ ing you!
That's about what he said!
melilley 11:07 AM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Thank you!
Thriftylady 01:01 PM 12-05-2014
That's what my hubby would say but I have a much harder time saying it even when it is true.
permanentvacation 01:21 PM 12-05-2014
I think you are just nervous because you've never had to do anything like that before. I think you did the right thing.

One time, I had my lawyer write a letter to a parent who refused to pay what she owed. A few days after my lawyer mailed the letter, the parent paid me everything they owed.

Since our company (daycare) is a small, in home business operated by one person, many people don't see us as a 'company' who can legally enforce policies and have the law back us up to obtain payment that is owed us. Sometimes, we have to teach that fact to some parents.
AuntTami 01:36 PM 12-05-2014
I wouldn't worry about it for one more second. My hubby would say the same thing, except hie would be not so nice about it lol. He plays hardball. He's actually quite involved in my daycare and he helps me "role play" when I have tough conversations that I need to have with someone else. He's always a much meaner "parent" than the actual parent is when we role play so that kind of gets me ready for them to chew me a new one and gives me the thicker skin to take the tongue lashing that doesn't usually come haha.

Best of luck to you! Great job for standing up for yourself. You're not a doormat and they didn't care about you when they decided to pull at the last minute so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You may never get your money but at least you're not letting people walk all over you!
Sugar Magnolia 03:35 PM 12-05-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Me too! Good job!
Tags:breach of contract, money owed
Reply Up