Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would You Pay For An "Art And Sand Bus" To Come?
Sugar Magnolia 10:38 AM 06-02-2011
Looking for feedback on an idea: an "Art Bus". I know many here are home providers and this might be geared more towards centers, but all comments on the idea welcomed. This is what I envision: A former school bus, painted cool colors and decorated with flags, etc, that is converted into a mobile art studio for preschool age kids. The bus has its seats removed and the interior is a series of art stations. There would be a painting stations (one watercolor, one tempura) a chalk drawing station, a clay molding station, a cut and glue station, and a make-a-tshirt station. Outside the bus, a big sand and water area to make sand castles in. The bus would cost $10 per child, with a 10 child minimum. Bus staffed with fully trained ECE teachers w background checks. The bus visits for one hour. Child gets a t shirt they made to take home.
Would YOUR dck's enjoy something like this? Does the price seem fair?
bice99 10:40 AM 06-02-2011
I think it sounds great. Bring it to Portland, OR. What about a $100 minimum in case someone (like me) doesn't have 10 kids? Plus how much room is in the bus? Enough for 20 kids? If stations have to be done, maybe base the hours on how many kids. 10 kids for 1 hour. 20 kids for 2 hours. Something like that? I'm not sure, just thinking outloud.
Blackcat31 10:43 AM 06-02-2011
We have exactly that! It is called the 'Fun Wagon' and it is a van painted up like the 70ies ones and it comes every week on Tues at 1:30. Stays for 90 minutes, reads a book and does and arts & craft project with the kids that correlates to the book they read. Each kid gets to make a t-shirt, bag, hat, planter, cup or whatever they have planned to take home each time the Fun Wagon visits us. It is a fabulous program and my dck's LOVE it and look forward to it every week.

The only difference is that it is free for child care providers and is paid for by a grant that a local business gives to our Community Education department. If the price was affordable though I wouldn't hesitate to pay for it because the kiddos enjoy it so much.
jojosmommy 10:49 AM 06-02-2011
We have a similar program here but it is free to everyone in the community. It stops at local parks/schools in the summer and the kids really like it.

I don't think I would be able to pay $10/kid for 1 hour but that is just me.
Sugar Magnolia 10:49 AM 06-02-2011
Yes, a $100 minimum would be cool, but if you had say, 5 kids do you think parents would pay $20 each? I figure the bus could do up to 15 in the bus, while up to 10 did sand/water outside. The bus staff would be one person inside and one outside, and the kids teacher to accompany to help keep an eye out for stragglers/wanderers. Big centers: one classroom per hour.
Oh and I would LOVE to bring it to Oregon, especially in the summer when its a million degrees in FL!! Lol!
Cat Herder 10:50 AM 06-02-2011
I have never seen the ART bus, but the gymnastics ones are a HUGE hit here.
Sugar Magnolia 10:55 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
We have a similar program here but it is free to everyone in the community. It stops at local parks/schools in the summer and the kids really like it.

I don't think I would be able to pay $10/kid for 1 hour but that is just me.
Yeah I was thinking maybe 90 mins, but afraid the kids would lose interest after an hour or so. I would definately not expect the provider to pay out of her pocket, I imagine they would, in turn, ask the parents to fork over the cost.
Blackcat31 11:00 AM 06-02-2011
This is probably a little off topic but I also have a swim bus that actually comes and gets all the dck's age 3 and over and brings them to the local YMCA for swimming lessons. The parents pay $52 a month for it and hte kids go every Tues & Thurs for a total of 8 lessons per month. None of the parents ever hesitate to pay for it and in the 8 years the program has been in place, not one parent of a 3 and over kid has decided not to send their child. I don't know if it is fear of their kid being left out or if the prospect of geting swim lessons on someone else's time is the lure.

Our YMCA does offer a discount to members but it isn't much. Even my families who are state assisted for child care seem to be able to fork over the cost each month so you never know what parents are willing to pony up for.

Sugar: are you thinking of having this bus come ot daycare or are you planning on running one?
Sugar Magnolia 11:00 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
I have never seen the ART bus, but the gymnastics ones are a HUGE hit here.
Kinda a spin-off of the gymnastics bus I must admit! Just thinking what type of activities kids enjoy the most....and art projects and sand/water are messy endeavors that providers tend to avoid sometimes. Oh and art smocks provided on the bus! Lol!
Sugar Magnolia 11:07 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is probably a little off topic but I also have a swim bus that actually comes and gets all the dck's age 3 and over and brings them to the local YMCA for swimming lessons. The parents pay $52 a month for it and hte kids go every Tues & Thurs for a total of 8 lessons per month. None of the parents ever hesitate to pay for it and in the 8 years the program has been in place, not one parent of a 3 and over kid has decided not to send their child. I don't know if it is fear of their kid being left out or if the prospect of getting swim lessons on someone else's time is the lure.

Our YMCA does offer a discount to members but it isn't much. Even my families who are state assisted for child care seem to be able to fork over the cost each month so you never know what parents are willing to pony up for.

Sugar: are you thinking of having this bus come ot daycare or are you planning on running one?
Ooooo swim bus....that is interesting too! Hmmm. You know, the bus COULD be conceivably converted into a series of different activities! Like a music bus, filled with instruments and an outdoor karaoke stage! Yes it would be something I'd own/operate....when I retire....someday....lol!!!
Blackcat31 11:12 AM 06-02-2011
Now THAT ^^^^ is a great idea! Why limit it to just arts and crafts? Why not have music one visit, art the next, maybe large motor skills games the next? You could hit on all the areas of development and maybe even possibly do small field trip adventures like a library visit or museum visit? I bet the parents would be more than willing to pay for something like that. I know I would. As a provider, I would be willing to even go 50/50 with the parents just to have some peace once a week. LOL!!

I bill by the day and week so any time my kiddos are gone on the swim bus I don't give a break in tuition because I still am here waiting for them to return as well as help them get ready to go too.
Sugar Magnolia 11:34 AM 06-02-2011
Brilliant Blackcat! Yes, change it up! Love the gross motor skills idea too. Heck, why not a fine motor skills bus, with stations for legos, blocks, lacing, puzzles, beading, magnet boards etc. Or an early literacy bus with books, listening stations (books on tape) writing centers and an otside story time? Or a dramatic play bus? With dress up, puppets and puppet theaters, "workbenches", "kitchens", career hats, career books, princess/prince play and a puppet show outside. Oh the possibilities.....
I dunno about field trips, worried about legal implications, waivers, insurance, etc. Then the bus would have to have seats in it. I envision ripping the seats out and doing more of a traveling gig.
Blackcat31 11:51 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Brilliant Blackcat! Yes, change it up! Love the gross motor skills idea too. Heck, why not a fine motor skills bus, with stations for legos, blocks, lacing, puzzles, beading, magnet boards etc. Or an early literacy bus with books, listening stations (books on tape) writing centers and an otside story time? Or a dramatic play bus? With dress up, puppets and puppet theaters, "workbenches", "kitchens", career hats, career books, princess/prince play and a puppet show outside. Oh the possibilities.....
I dunno about field trips, worried about legal implications, waivers, insurance, etc. Then the bus would have to have seats in it. I envision ripping the seats out and doing more of a traveling gig.
Yeah, I didn't think about the traveling liabilities...I do not transport so I get that part and why you wouldn't want to go there.

But switching it up is nice because the kids wouldn't get bored and sometimes really busy providers don't always get all the developmental areas integrated into a week or day or month. I think that if you could get a schedule to give out ahead of time the provider could see ahead of time what the week's "theme" would be and coordinate with you. You could even do themed weeks like cowboy week or space week or princess week or ????? I guess the possibilites are endless! I would try for some things that some providers or parents don't do much of at home, like building with nails and hammers or painting...ya know those really big messy but super fun things that keep them interested....
Sugar Magnolia 12:08 PM 06-02-2011
Themes! Genius Blackcat! Holy Cow: gardening bus! Space bus! Healthy eating bus where kids make food!! Animal bus complete with critters to look at, pet, learn about!
youretooloud 12:11 PM 06-02-2011
My daycare parents would probably pay that once a week. But, my fear would be what if only six kids show up that day?
Tags:arts and crafts, arts and crafts- ideas, fun wagon
Reply Up