Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Interview When I'm Full?
TwinKristi 08:21 PM 03-17-2014
I know some of you interview and have a wait list, how does this work? I have been getting calls for infants a lot lately. Some FT, some PT. I had an interview for a FT infant last week who would have started next week. I didn't hear back and got another call about an infant 1 day a week and someone else who wants 2 days a week and thought that may be better than nothing right now. Well I emailed the FT mom and said I understand if she's chosen someone else but wanted to gauge her interest in my program before wasting my time interviewing if she's interested in the spot. Someone else emails me about a FT infant, my neighbor got the same email so she referred her to me since she's full. I set up an interview for next Tues, someone else was coming by Monday for a PT spot. Then I got the email back from the first mom that she wants to pick up the paperwork and start FT on Monday. so now I have 2 interviews next week, the PT may actually work out well but the FT would put me over on Thur-Fri during 2wks, April 20-May 7. So 4 days. I don't want to be over ratio but I don't know, I feel compelled to do this interview. My neighbor is pushing me to just be over for those 4 days but I just don't know. I currently have all 18+ mos kids and a 4 month old starting Mon. I really don't want to be full let alone over ratio. I like keeping my numbers low, 2 spots are my own kids and 1 is shared by 2 kids, one before and one after school and their spots will change come summer break.
Do I let them know I don't have a spot anymore and see if they still want to interview, keep the interview and then let them know after and offer a spot on the waiting list? Do I gauge their interest in the spot and then decide?
CraftyMom 08:36 PM 03-17-2014
If you're licensed I would not go over, even for a couple days. I did that once and the dcf I was accommodating turned me in! My licensor stressed the importance of not being over even for 2 minutes lol
CraftyMom 08:39 PM 03-17-2014
You should do the interviews and let them know you are currently interviewing and will let them know if they will be a good fit (in a nice way). Then you can choose which one will work best. An interview doesn't always guarantee a spot will be filled, so you should def interview them all.

Then if they are all interested and will work out well then create a wait list, choosing to start with the best fit first (best fit in scheduling as well as child blending in, etc)

For me it is always feast or famine! I never get calls when I need them, but when I don't need them they are plentiful (why is that??)

It would be nice to have a couple back ups in case one doesn't work out well.
TwinKristi 09:09 PM 03-17-2014
Well it JUST dawned on me that one of my infant's DCD works for the schools. So when they have a break he has a break, like this week. Well we never discussed summer... Is he off all summer? Is she coming back in the Fall? I need to plan for these things! Ugh...
So yeah I need to figure that out this week before I do the interview.
NeedaVaca 04:11 AM 03-18-2014
If you decide you want the FT why don't you just tell that mom before she signs up that you can take her except for those 4 days? She may have a grandparent or friend willing to cover those days and will appreciate you staying within ratio
KidGrind 04:45 AM 03-18-2014
I say yes!

It may be for the wrong reason. My DCFs get so nervous and anxious when they see me interviewing, especially a DCM who thinks she’s the red head in The Help.

“I thought you weren’t taking anymore kids. You are full.”

Actually I can have up to six. So there is an opening for MTW. I love the group I have now. However, some of you parents are a trip. I’ve been too nice. I may have to terminate soon.

“Oh, I see.” And out the door she goes as if a Nascar.
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 03-18-2014
I interview whether or not I am full. You never know in this business.

In your shoes, I would interview all of them. The FT infant might not work out and could be a super high needs baby. ...kwim?

If you interview them all, then do a two week trial period with the first FT family/infant, you will still have the possibility of filling the space if they don't work out.
TwinKristi 09:34 AM 03-18-2014
Thanks BC that's exactly what I'm thinking. Plus it gives me time if this 2nd FT baby family are interested to see how it goes, they wouldn't start until Apr 20th. This FT mom starting next week originally wanted a nanny share situation but wasn't able to find one and eventually wants to work PT but has to work FT for now or will have to repay her maternity benefits or something? So who knows, she could eventually be PT.
The lady who only wants one day a week is kinda annoying but I have the room so why not? I also have someone who's interested in just Mondays for her daughter and I think if I told her I'm filling up she may jump. That would leave me with just Tuesdays being a light day and I would probably enjoy that! LOL
Imagination's Creations 09:47 AM 03-18-2014
What do you tell people you are interviewing when you're full?
Blackcat31 09:50 AM 03-18-2014
Originally Posted by Imagination's Creations:
I don't. I never tell anyone how many vacancies I have or don't have.

I just enroll if I like the family and everything is good after interviewing and if it's not, I just let them know that I am not offering them a space.

The only thing I let people know (both current and potential families) is that I am licensed for x amount of kids and have never and will never go over those ratios.
Imagination's Creations 09:52 AM 03-18-2014
So, if you're always interviewing, will you replace a child with one you feel will better fit your program?
TwinKristi 09:56 AM 03-18-2014
See, that's where I'm kinda stuck. I am going to go into it with the idea that this would put me AT capacity for a short time (including my own children) but with children turning 2 and some not coming for summer it could be worked out!

Also- I texted DCD who works on the school schedule and he will be working during the summer just about 90 min less a day. Woohoo! So glad to hear that!!
Blackcat31 10:08 AM 03-18-2014
So, if you're always interviewing, will you replace a child with one you feel will better fit your program?
Sometimes. It really depends on the variables.

Right now, I have a great group of parents and kids. I still did an interview last week and although the family would be a great fit for me, I told them I would only be able to place them on my wait list if they were interested in attending.

I didn't say I filled the position or that I don't really have openings. I just said, I am only able to offer you a position on my wait list.

Of course, this morning.....the parent of the oldest child I have in care told me she is going to be working from home as of June 1st....resulting in a space to fill.

So like I said, you just never know in this business.
Imagination's Creations 10:15 AM 03-18-2014
@ BC. I get a lot of contact through my face book page where I will chat for a while with potential clients. I also recently added an application in my notes on the page where potential clients can copy, past, and answer the questions in a message. Ive gotten a lot of parents on my wait list from doing this, but I dont usually interview them in person unless I have an opening.

This business is quite unpredictable though. Im grateful that Ive stayed full. I am, however, in the process of expanding so Im currently taking interviews for the new spots when they open. I have ad those clients before that I would have replaced in a heart beat if I had a wait list then. I love having the option of being extremely picky!

I was just curious as to how you would go about it. Thanks!
Blackcat31 10:45 AM 03-18-2014
@ BC. I get a lot of contact through my face book page where I will chat for a while with potential clients. I also recently added an application in my notes on the page where potential clients can copy, past, and answer the questions in a message. Ive gotten a lot of parents on my wait list from doing this, but I dont usually interview them in person unless I have an opening.

This business is quite unpredictable though. Im grateful that Ive stayed full. I am, however, in the process of expanding so Im currently taking interviews for the new spots when they open. I have ad those clients before that I would have replaced in a heart beat if I had a wait list then. I love having the option of being extremely picky!

I was just curious as to how you would go about it. Thanks!
I like to have potential clients on my waitlist that I've already interviewed.

That way when a space does open up, I've already done the orientation process.... makes getting them started (for me anyways) much easier.

It eliminates the notifying, the wait (to see if they are interested) and the time it takes for them to give notice to their current provider (if they have one) so they can ease into my program with little hoopla.
melilley 11:45 AM 03-18-2014
If I'm full and a family calls, I tell them that as of right now I am full,; but things may change at any time and they are free to come for an interview and if that works out, I offer them a place on my wait list. I do this because around here some spots at home dc's, especially the 2.5 and under group, are hard to come by because of the demand for care for those ages so it gives the families a chance to interview in case or go elsewhere. I actually became full last summer and had a waitlist, but I gave an infant tour and the family actually recommended me to friends based on our interview. It pays to get your name out there even if you don't have any spots open!
Imagination's Creations 11:54 AM 03-18-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
If I'm full and a family calls, I tell them that as of right now I am full,; but things may change at any time and they are free to come for an interview and if that works out, I offer them a place on my wait list. I do this because around here some spots at home dc's, especially the 2.5 and under group, are hard to come by because of the demand for care for those ages so it gives the families a chance to interview in case or go elsewhere. I actually became full last summer and had a waitlist, but I gave an infant tour and the family actually recommended me to friends based on our interview. It pays to get your name out there even if you don't have any spots open!
True!
TwinKristi 10:32 AM 03-19-2014
Well good thing I followed my gut and your advice and kept the interviews not mentioning anything about being full. The mom who was supposed to start Monday emailed me this morning and said she quit her job this morning and won't be returning to work or needing my services. She said she would keep me in mind for the future if she returns and that I came highly recommended. I replied that I completely understand and to please keep me in mind even for drop ins if she has an appt or needs some rest/fun with my hourly drop in rate. I feel good about it, I understand and was prepared knowing she didn't want to return to work from our first phone call. I still have my interview next week on Tuesday for an infant the same age and full time as well. FX that that one works out!!
Tags:infants, interview, waiting list
Reply Up