Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Angry Demeanor
mamamanda 12:05 PM 11-21-2017
Hi everyone! I took a break from childcare b/c I was feeling so burnt out I wasn't doing a good job. Just started back up again & my question is about my nephew. He is 2 & just had a new sibling. He has always stayed with me until 3 months ago. He was just like my extra kid. Had his own bed here, went everywhere with us, people who saw us out assumed he was mine & he was such a calm & happy little guy. He just came back a week ago after maternity leave with Mom and he is very aggressive, yells at kids & myself continuously, struggles to share, just very unhappy most of the time. Mom says he is struggling greatly at home as well. I know he's had a lot of changes, but how do I get my sweet, happy boy back? Any tips on handling this with a 2 year old?
daycarediva 01:16 PM 11-21-2017
How are the parents at juggling time/attention. Is it with a positive spin? (great helper, great big brother, still our baby, spending time with older child when feeding/playing with baby, etc)

I can't think of anything aside from time that will help this situation on your end. Be consistent with your expectations and reinforce positive behaviors, but other than that, it's just something he will have to work through.

Welcome back!
Ariana 11:16 AM 11-22-2017
He is clearly not getting enough attention at home. The parents need to step up and try to keep the routine the same and manage giving him attention. I am not sure why but many new parents completely forget their older children when they have babies!
Tags:aggressive behavior, burnt out
Reply Up