Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Becoming More Common?
maelb05 06:54 AM 01-07-2020
I have two families that have there children in bed no later than 6pm.
One family has a 3 1/2 year old and a 2 year old. Mom says on weekends they are in bed between 5-5:30 for the night. During the week, 6pm at the latest. They are in care 8am-4:45pm.
The other family has a 13 month old. She still takes two naps: 1 1/2 hours in the morning and 2 hour nap in the afternoon.
All children sleep at least until 3:30 for naps here.
Both moms say they have tried holding off bedtime, but kids are a wreck by 5:30. How is this possible when the kids are taking such good/long naps here?!
I know, as providers, we are usually struggling with the parents who are not putting their kids to bed until a ridiculous hour, but this seems so far to the opposite extreme!
I can't help but wonder if parents put their kids to bed so early so they can have the evenings to themselves.
Cat Herder 07:54 AM 01-07-2020
I have 6 kids enrolled. On their enrollment forms, the parents stated the bedtimes were 7 pm for 4/6 and 8 pm for 2/6. 4/6 wake at 6 am and 2/6 wake at 7 am.

All admit to putting them down earlier in winter to take advantage of the dark hours for personal downtime. In spring and summer, when it is light until 10 pm, all admit to struggling with getting them down.

* I have more *adult* short naptime requests "to help them go down easier at night" during spring and summer when the parents forget all the extra hours of personal downtime they had in winter. I suggest after dinner playground time and investing in room darkening shades.
Ariana 09:51 AM 01-08-2020
I have a child like this right now! I suspect iron deficiency but parents were dismissive of it the two times I brought it up. She wakes at 6:30am, naps an hour when she gets to my house in the morning. Naps in the afternoon for 2-3 hours, then goes to bed at 6pm. It is insane. Today I tried cutting down her morning nap and she was yawning and rubbing her eyes by 10:30am! She starts to become a mess again around 4:30pm right before pickup. She is 20 months old.
tlemother 06:57 AM 01-10-2020
What time do they get up. My son used to go to bed at 630 when he was a toddler but he had to get up at 530am to be at daycare by 7am. My 2 year old now doesn't go to bed until 830 or 9 and sleeps 12 hours at night but doesn't have to get up for daycare.
maelb05 07:16 AM 01-10-2020
Originally Posted by tlemother:
What time do they get up. My son used to go to bed at 630 when he was a toddler but he had to get up at 530am to be at daycare by 7am. My 2 year old now doesn't go to bed until 830 or 9 and sleeps 12 hours at night but doesn't have to get up for daycare.
Mom of the 3 1/2 and 2 year old says they get up between 7-7:30. They live with 5 minutes of me. They are in care from 8-4:45. It is just shocking when mom comes in on a Monday morning and says they were in bed by 5:15 the night before.
Mom of the 13 month old says she is up around 6:15. She is in care 7:15-4/4:30.
Hunni Bee 01:49 PM 01-11-2020
I hate this. If you are picking your preschooler up at 5 pm and they are in bed by 5:30/6, what time are spending with them?

I dismiss most requests for shorter naptimes because this usually at the root.
Tags:bedtime, early bedtime, me time
Reply Up