Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Experience transitioning a child from nanny care to daycare?
cheerfuldom 11:39 AM 08-10-2012
Would love to hear your experience.

I have one final spot to fill and actually dont HAVE to fill it. This is my last interview before I stop interviewing due to almost being in my 3rd tri with this pregnancy. I dont add new kids too close to the birth of my own child (either before or afterwards).

Anyway, she was a nice little girl, 3 year old but never been around other kids, like ever (which is always suprising to me). she has two much older siblings and currently is with family only or a nanny when mom works. i dont think that she regularly goes any place that there are other kids her age either....she is always with teens or adults. she didnt play or touch a thing or say a thing for the whole interview. She seems overwhelmed when I even spoke her, although she wasnt crying. The parents swear that she is very talkative and independent once you get to know her (which could or could not be true, LOL).

The main issue is that I am worried she will be overwhelmed with the daily activity and pace of the daycare. Due to my middle daughters needs, we are very very active group....lots of outdoor time, lots of walks, lots of play play play and that works for the rest of the kids for now. Parents also say that they co-sleep and the nanny lays down with the girl for daytime nap......eeekk! I let them know how I do nap time here and that it was absolutely essential that their daughter transition to that in order to remain at my daycare. I dont rock kids, sit by them, do prolonged patting, shushing, comforting....I just tuck them in and thats that, they stay there whether they sleep or not. I am very concerned about the nap issue. The parents did agree that they realize a daycare provider would not do what the nanny did and actually, they would love some help getting this girl to sleep in a bed on her own. I am concerned that it will be really hard to get her to transition because at 3 years old, she would go straight to a bed (not a PNP) and it could really be a lot of work to keep her in bed, depending on her true temperment.

would love some thoughts on this situation. They have not decided for sure if they will go with 3 days a week or 5 days a week care.
Breezy 02:04 PM 08-10-2012
I have a new dcb who came from nanny care but he is 8 months old so young enough to not be set in his own way necessarily. Biggest issue I have noticed is he doesn't like the noise. He cries when others cry or when they are too loud. Otherwise no issues! Sorry that wasn't much help.
daycare 02:51 PM 08-10-2012
I am dealing with this right now....

First thing is, is the little girl going to be full time or part time??
cheerfuldom 08:39 PM 08-10-2012
Originally Posted by Breezy:
I have a new dcb who came from nanny care but he is 8 months old so young enough to not be set in his own way necessarily. Biggest issue I have noticed is he doesn't like the noise. He cries when others cry or when they are too loud. Otherwise no issues! Sorry that wasn't much help.
Thats what I meant by the change in activity. My kids are very active and yes, at times they try to scream, run, tickle fight and other exuberant behaviors and I do worry that things that arent necessary bad, will be too much for a child that is not used to that type of activity.
cheerfuldom 08:39 PM 08-10-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I am dealing with this right now....

First thing is, is the little girl going to be full time or part time??
I am almost positive that it will be part time....but again, mom has not told me the final decision.
daycare 03:54 PM 08-12-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I am almost positive that it will be part time....but again, mom has not told me the final decision.
Pm me.... I'll tell you my experience.
Reply Up