Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>First Days
Pammie 07:17 AM 02-27-2011
Just curious what you do (if anything) to make a "first day" with a new client special for the child, the new client parent, and/or your group??

I believe that this is an opportunity to get off to a good start - and show some extra "customer service" with my clients.

Here's what I do:

Prior to the child's first day with my group, I give the parents the opportunity to have a Parent's Night Out. I offer to have the child here with me for some one-on-one time for a few hours on an evening or a weekend afternoon. It gives me the chance to get to know the new child - and them me - before the child's first day with the group. It also gives the parent (especially parents of infants) the experience of dropping their child off at my home for the first time before the added stress of dropping off and heading off to work. This time is free for the parents.

I talk about a new child joining us with my group. All of the children have the opportunity to draw a "welcome" picture for their new friend that I put into book form for the new child.

The new child gets a brand new book for a welcoming gift. My favorite to give any age is "Jamberry" by Bruce Degen. I inscribe that I'm "Berry" happy to have the child at daycare - along with the date.

The parent that drops off that first morning gets a goodie bag full of Hershey's Hugs and Kisses to take off to work with them - along with a little poem about how much I appreciate them and their child.
MG&Lsmom 03:06 AM 02-28-2011
That's super sweet! I usually schedule a time when I have no one, and since I have all part timers it works well, and let the parent drop off the child for the morning without charge. I have a family of 3 starting today and mom never took me up on the offer. Shall be an interesting day!
Cat Herder 04:10 AM 02-28-2011
Sounds wonderful and very thoughtful!! I bet the parents love it.

I only enroll newborns so I usually buy them a personalized patterned crib, linens, mobile, rug and wall decor for their cubicle.

Each child gets their own, similar to decorating a nursery at home.

I also place their photo on the wall (updated often) and decorate their cubby.

Each child enrolled is a significant investment on my part.

The older kids always get to sing to and welcome the new baby.
SilverSabre25 04:37 AM 02-28-2011
That's really sweet! I bet your dc families love it.
Unregistered 11:45 AM 02-28-2011
I guess Im boring. I prepare there cubbie with a hand made cubby tag. If its a baby they get a welcome letter in the mail with a reminder of what stuff to bring. Nothing very special.
Deb
DCMomOf3 12:03 PM 02-28-2011
I prepare cubbies and mats/pnps for each child. For the 1+ years we make pillows out of one of their old shirts for nap times. I also email pictures of the child's first few days, but don't do any keepsake things for the child/family. You must really be appreciated that first pickup.
ammama 01:00 PM 02-28-2011
hmmm, I do nothing special. I will usually try to ensure that I have lots of activities planned (we don't always DO lots, but I have it ready, just in case), to keep their mind off it in case the child is really upset about being left.
Tags:first day, first day - ideas
Reply Up