Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where Are The Kids?
MommyMuffin 11:21 AM 08-02-2011
Where are the kids? Where are the hard working parents who need reliable, fair priced daycare? Can anyone find them?

Feeling frustrated. Trying to grow my buisness and things have just seemed to stop. I've got 2 open spots and some preschoolers who would love another playmate.

Hmmm...I have been open for 10 months. I have 2 full timers and 2 part timers. And 2 open spots to fill. Ladies who have been in the biz for a while...is this kind of enrollment for the first year average, good...or whoa lady you arent gonna make it.

Now that I am not pregnant for the first time since opening my buisness..lol...
I have lots of energy and want to make this profitable.

I just want to be successful!! What gives??? Where are the kids?
Blackcat31 11:44 AM 08-02-2011
Took me almost 15 months to fill all my spaces when I first opened many moons ago. I took everyone who inquired about space (didn't know what I do now ).

Hang in there, it does take a while to build that client base and depending on the area in which you live, I assume it is all directly related.

Just keep advertising, using word of mouth, talking and talking....you WILL get there!!

Soon, you will look back and pray for a quieter day.... LOL!!
Unregistered 11:51 AM 08-02-2011
Please don't take this the wrong way but does your program fit what parents in YOUR area are looking for? I know in mine the standard are getting higher and pay isn't following. Next I would look at how you are advertising. If possible use pictures of your current set up, talk about your program highlights. Local elementary schools can sometimes had a flyer out to parents who need care for siblings or even more if you run a pre-k. The last thing to consider is your area over saturated with childcare. Often when people are unemployed they start to think if they can care for their child they might as well do daycare. If that is the case then you have just 2 choices, set your program apart from theirs either with education, certifications and quality or throw in the towel. Just lowering the rates actually makes a quality program look like a babysitter. People will pay for it if it fits their needs.
Childminder 11:52 AM 08-02-2011
Took me awhile when I opened in this location. It goes in waves and right now for me the tide is out My enrollment is down since 2008 but I live in one of the hardest hit areas by the economy. Recently I received a print out from the state showing that available openings far out number the demand what with the unemployment and the amount of people leaving our state. By thousands.
sharlan 11:56 AM 08-02-2011
I know what you mean. I've talked to 5 providers in my area, no one is at capacity. The local schools are killing us for the older kids and there's too many of us for the little ones. The public schools are charging $35 a week for after school care.

I had 2 calls yesterday. The first called and had a list of 15 questions. I told her we could make an appt and go over my policies and her concerns, she was no longer interested. The second asked my rates and hung up, no good bye or anything. I'll pass on both.
Unregistered 12:39 PM 08-02-2011
Maybe if you post your ad we could help you fine tune it? Also where and how are you currently advertising?
kidkair 01:09 PM 08-02-2011
I get calls all the time and then a lot of no shows for interviews. The kids are out there and so are a lot of other providers offering cheap care and also not at capacity. Personally I enjoy my little group and the right kid/family comes along just when I need them to. Good luck!
MG&Lsmom 01:15 PM 08-02-2011
I feel the same. I've seen 3 providers in my area offering 2 weeks of FREE care. I can't do that! And it's the first 2 weeks to boot. I bet they get a lot of jumpers, but still. Also a lot of low priced people too. I'm at my bottom price I can possibly offer for FT. I'm hoping this month picks up with people going back to school. Head in the clouds probably.
morgan24 01:47 PM 08-02-2011
My area is the same, there just aren't very many people looking for daycare.Yesterday I found out that there is a young stay at home mom who isn't licensed has 3 kids of her own and has 9 other kids that she watches. It's really discouraging to not get any calls. I'm not the only licensed provider here that is low on numbers. I live in one of the highest unemployed counties in Michigan.
justgettingstarted 03:46 PM 08-02-2011
Oh I feel terribly discouraged now!
JaydensMommy 04:11 PM 08-02-2011
I really think it depends on your area. I've only been open a few months and am almost full. I have one open spot for SA and I have a part timer in a spot that I'm looking to fill with a full timer(yes, dcm knows that). I'm really not sure how many providers there are in my area, but I know that in my subdivision I am the only one and three of my dck's are kids from my subdivision. My outdoor lawn sign has been great advertisement.
Unregistered 04:13 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by thinkinboutstarting:
Oh I feel terribly discouraged now!

Don't be. I don't know where you live but I have had my license for under 45 days and I am full. I still get calls and emails begging me to let them know if I have a spot come open. There are many factors to consider. If you are worried about over saturation of the market, call your licensing agency and see how many are in you area, google is good for that too.
sharlan 04:13 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by JaydensMommy:
I really think it depends on your area. I've only been open a few months and am almost full. I have one open spot for SA and I have a part timer in a spot that I'm looking to fill with a full timer(yes, dcm knows that). I'm really not sure how many providers there are in my area, but I know that in my subdivision I am the only one and three of my dck's are kids from my subdivision. My outdoor lawn sign has been great advertisement.
Where are you at? Our city doesn't allow lawn signs.
JaydensMommy 04:16 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Where are you at? Our city doesn't allow lawn signs.
Central Valley, what about you?
sharlan 04:22 PM 08-02-2011
Central Valley, what about you?
I'm an hour east of LA.
JaydensMommy 04:25 PM 08-02-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I'm an hour east of LA.
Honestly, I never thought about it not being allowed, since I've seen other people with the lawn signs..
sharlan 04:40 PM 08-02-2011
Honestly, I never thought about it not being allowed, since I've seen other people with the lawn signs..
I called the city to ask because I wanted to put a sign on my wooden swingset that could be seen from the main street behind us. I was told no signs on the property.
Alexandra 05:20 PM 08-02-2011
Well I am all the way in New England and I'm not full either. I had a mother come by in May with her husband and were really excited to start their son in September. I told her great but I would need a deposit to hold the spot. Mom said that was no problem she would give it to me by June 1st. Contacted her in July and she said she would pay me in a couple of weeks. Tried calling her today no answer. From the sounds of it I know I am probably better off but I just want her to confim Yes or No, plus I had to term a child last week so September as of now I only have 1 FT. I feel your pain.
Google Apps for Day Care 05:53 PM 08-02-2011
First, hang in there and keep moving forward. Second, I agree with others that advertising/marketing/exposure is where you may want to focus some of your time. Currently with the extra energy and not necessarily spare time, but perhaps reduced workload, there are things you can do to announce your presence and services to the community. A few hours here and there could have a long lasting impact.

Order business cards to hand out and leave behind - vistaprint.com has free business cards available
Remind your friends, family, acquaintances, and strangers what you do and how well you do it. Don’t be shy about asking for referrals.
Introduce yourself and what you do at large organizations in your area. This could include the head of the local union, the HR person at nearby businesses, Head of the PTO, Presidents of local clubs, as well as saying hi at the local Police, Fire and Rescue stations. In other words, find where the masses gather around your town and let them know your expert care services are available...and with that last line, I’m reminded to let the congregations around you know you’re available.
Ask for a written reference from past and current parents. Obviously only ask when you know you are going to get a positive response. It may help to provide a few questions for parents to help gain a better response. These are great to have as an ego boost, but they will provide great comfort for new parents considering you.
Place a sign in your yard - check local code for approval. Remember that an outdoor sign reflects your business so think beyond cardboard and a marker. :-)

OK, enough of the offline suggestions, here are the online ones. If you are a technophobe, do not panic at all. This is all very easy and help is always nearby.

Think of a domain (yourname.com) so you can have business email and a website. By the way, “I’m too small”, “It’s just me and I don’t have the time”, “That stuff is just too complicated for me” or “I can’t afford it” are all things of the past. There are very easy to use, inexpensive tools that are available for day care providers that make this very easy. Clearly you use the Internet - so do your future parents. It is essential to have an Internet presence so that your community has at least a chance of finding you online.

Search online for local online communities, bulletin boards, forums, associations, even larger sites may have sections broken down by zip code.
List your services/website where applicable. Perhaps the Chamber, local business directories, daycare.com, etc...
Remember to search for where potential parents will be, not where you would like to be. For example, your first choice may not be to join the “local welders discussion”, but you may find that many welders need daycare providers. Point is to think outside the box.
Create your website - again very easy with the right tools. Start with something basic: Home page, Your Services (with testimonials), Contact page. In time and when you have time you can always update with more content, features, pictures, colors, etc...
Join communities such as Linkedin, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and/or dozens of other ones to let people know you exist and that you have openings (or to announce you no longer have openings). You can get lost for days in some of these sites so remember the basics. Set up a profile, state your services, link back to your site. Once profiles are set up, check back at your leisure to update and edit.
And finally, some overview comments. Stay positive. You can’t do it all at once, choose a couple of items that work for you and follow through with them. Perhaps a mix of an online and an offline activity to get you started. Focus on your goals, use the right tools and engage in the right activities and you will fill up your vacancies and create a great marketing foundation for your business for years to come.

So there you have it, 10 ideas that could help fill current and future vacancies. Hope something here might be helpful.

Full disclosure, my company, RTW Mobile is an Authorized Google Apps Reseller, specialize in providing Google Apps for Day Care - essential, easy to use online tools for day care providers.
Gigi 11:40 PM 08-23-2011
I think most parents who do have the money to pay for your child care services would be "Googling" a daycare provider that they need... Just an educated guess, because the parents who can pay, really needs the TIME to get things done. So most probably, they would look for a day care near their area through searching the net. Since that is most convenient for them.

HOpe this helps!
PitterPatter 06:20 AM 08-24-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
Where are the kids? Where are the hard working parents who need reliable, fair priced daycare? Can anyone find them?

Feeling frustrated. Trying to grow my buisness and things have just seemed to stop. I've got 2 open spots and some preschoolers who would love another playmate.

Hmmm...I have been open for 10 months. I have 2 full timers and 2 part timers. And 2 open spots to fill. Ladies who have been in the biz for a while...is this kind of enrollment for the first year average, good...or whoa lady you arent gonna make it.

Now that I am not pregnant for the first time since opening my buisness..lol...
I have lots of energy and want to make this profitable.

I just want to be successful!! What gives??? Where are the kids?
Do you accept all ages and a later closing time? Those are 2 main reasons why I can't get more kids in. I don't take anymore kids under 2 yrs and I close at 5:00. I have had 3 calls this week alone for a 4 month old, a 2 month old and a newborn. I just can't do it. Now in a couple yrs those kids would work well for me but they will be placed I'm sure. Everyone seems to be having babies!
MommyMuffin 08:58 AM 08-24-2011
I care for 6 weeks to 5 years and am open with opening hours but will close by 5:30. I just ordered a sign to put out on the corner in addition to the one that is in my yard.

I have tried to update my buisness in the yahoo yellow pages but it never appears. I even paid for the web advertisement through vistaprint and I made another website which I had to pay for and I cant figure out how to get web access. I am on this site and care.com but I dont want to pay any additional money on these website and I havent had much luck with them either.
Blackcat31 09:23 AM 08-24-2011
I have used flyers (WIC sites, clinics, schools, grocery stores, laudro-mats, college bulletin boards, YMCA's, apartments lobbies, etc)

I have sent out advertising postcards using bulk mail rates (mailing lists were from ECE classlists, WIC receiptiants, Social Services etc)

I have also given current clients discounts for referring a new client.

I have donated T-shirts with my logo to area fundreaisers as door prizes and drawing gifts.

I have partnered up with friends who sell Party-lite, Avon, Tupperware, Scentsy and other things for then to hand out my flyers and give my T-s away as party gifts.

I've even done an open house in the past with some success. My provider friend does a neighborhood funhouse party where she rents a bouncy castle, sets up party type games on the lawn, cooks free hotdogs and cotton candy and throws a block party to basically advertise her business. She does it every year on the first day of summer. It is tax deductible and fun for everyone!

I also have a large fence banner and yard signs that I put randomly around town like garage sale signs. (I move them to new locations that coordinate with community events)

My current daycare parents also sport window clings for me.
erinalexmom 10:14 AM 08-24-2011
Dont be discouraged. Some of it is the economy, some of it could be just taking some time to get the word out there. I am so full I cant stand it lol but this is my THIRD time to try to open! I treid twice before and I wouldnt get enough calls and so then I would pick up more hours at my second job. Then one day my mom calls and says "would you watch this ladys dd?" I said 'well itll have to be Gods will mom cause I have tried twice before with no results!" well it must be his will cause the I got flooded! But the first two times, nothing I was so discouraged and upset. Dont give up! Something might just click for you. For me two daycares in my town shut down within 6 months of each other (both providers moving) and all the kids started heading my way.
Maybe think of the few employers in your town that are hiring and see if you can cater to thier employees. Maybe you can advertise to them also?
cheerfuldom 10:19 AM 08-24-2011
If you were serious about the pregnancy thing then that could be a part of it. Most parents are not willing to take the chance on a provider who is expecting their own child. It means that there will be a maternity leave, possible complications with the health of mom and baby and possibility that mom cant
handle it all.
jen 10:59 AM 08-24-2011
Have you tried hooking up with a local real estate agent--or a few of them? Try going around to some open houses or if you are really lucky, the model home of a new housing development. Lots of real estate agents prepare "Welcome Home" kits with important local information and some are happy to include your business card!!!
Gigi 01:17 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
I care for 6 weeks to 5 years and am open with opening hours but will close by 5:30. I just ordered a sign to put out on the corner in addition to the one that is in my yard.

I have tried to update my buisness in the yahoo yellow pages but it never appears. I even paid for the web advertisement through vistaprint and I made another website which I had to pay for and I cant figure out how to get web access. I am on this site and care.com but I dont want to pay any additional money on these website and I havent had much luck with them either.
You can try placing your business in the local google directory, have some fliers posted in your local community board/ school bulletin or your pediatrician's clinic nearby?

Hope these tips help! Please don't lose hope!
MommyMuffin 05:11 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
If you were serious about the pregnancy thing then that could be a part of it. Most parents are not willing to take the chance on a provider who is expecting their own child. It means that there will be a maternity leave, possible complications with the health of mom and baby and possibility that mom cant
handle it all.
Unfortunately its worse than you think.... I never even got an interview or phone call for anyone except babies...so nobody knew I was pregnant! lol...
MommyMuffin 05:12 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
Have you tried hooking up with a local real estate agent--or a few of them? Try going around to some open houses or if you are really lucky, the model home of a new housing development. Lots of real estate agents prepare "Welcome Home" kits with important local information and some are happy to include your business card!!!
That is a great idea! My husband is a realtor but I asked him about that before and I cant remember why he said I couldnt do it but I will press him again about it.
MommyMuffin 05:15 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by Gigi:
You can try placing your business in the local google directory, have some fliers posted in your local community board/ school bulletin or your pediatrician's clinic nearby?

Hope these tips help! Please don't lose hope!
Thank you for the tips! I must live in a strict community. The library wont let me put anything up, the grocery store just tears them down, the pediatrician offices say that I cannot leave them...my local church even said no!

I ordered a sign and my husband said he would be in charge of moving it around town and I think I am going to ask my church again!

Thanks for the support.
mismatchedsocks 05:25 AM 08-25-2011
Just keep at it. Sometimes it takes a while, sometimes you can be full right away. Just a hint, offer something that no one else does, what does your program offer that no one else offers? What is one thing you think puts you above the others. Imagine you are looking for daycare, what would you need to know before even calling, just from reading ad?

Here from the surveys I asked my current families they worry about safety, hours, flexibility. So I make sure to mention in my ad my yard is fenced in, my driveway is fenced in, I am flexible with starting and ending hours, and will send emails or texts throughout the day if they want that. I also have a website that offers an overall of my program, some pictures of toys, kids, and activities that we do.
PitterPatter 07:31 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have used flyers (WIC sites, clinics, schools, grocery stores, laudro-mats, college bulletin boards, YMCA's, apartments lobbies, etc)

I have sent out advertising postcards using bulk mail rates (mailing lists were from ECE classlists, WIC receiptiants, Social Services etc)

I have also given current clients discounts for referring a new client.

I have donated T-shirts with my logo to area fundreaisers as door prizes and drawing gifts.

I have partnered up with friends who sell Party-lite, Avon, Tupperware, Scentsy and other things for then to hand out my flyers and give my T-s away as party gifts.

I've even done an open house in the past with some success. My provider friend does a neighborhood funhouse party where she rents a bouncy castle, sets up party type games on the lawn, cooks free hotdogs and cotton candy and throws a block party to basically advertise her business. She does it every year on the first day of summer. It is tax deductible and fun for everyone!

I also have a large fence banner and yard signs that I put randomly around town like garage sale signs. (I move them to new locations that coordinate with community events)

My current daycare parents also sport window clings for me.
Can I ask where you have your shirts made? I have been wanting to do this but can't find a proce range in my budget. Thanks!
MommyMuffin 08:36 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
Can I ask where you have your shirts made? I have been wanting to do this but can't find a proce range in my budget. Thanks!
I made a shirt on vistaprint, it was really cheap
Mommy2One 10:57 AM 08-25-2011
Here I am! Here I am!

I have the opposite problem – I’m a parent that can’t find a daycare provider! I hope you don’t mind that I’m posting here but I thought a view from the other side might be helpful.

I discovered this site when I was going Google crazy trying to find other resources besides Craigslist and I’ve ended up reading a lot of the forums and learning a lot. Reading about all of your daily activities and drooling over your nutritious menus in the recipe section has made me realize just how much the SAHMs that we’ve interviewed in our area are lacking. We have plenty of “I can care for my child so I can open a daycare to make a few bucks” types but I haven’t had much luck finding an in-home, organized, reliable, professional care provider in our area.

I don’t know if I’m a typical parent, but I wouldn’t see most of the places mentioned here (but now I know I need to be on the lookout for them!) My coworkers commute from other parts of town (on average about an hour away from where my family lives, we all kind of meet in the middle). One set of friends lives an hour and a half away, the other sends their daughter to a national chain. We don’t attend church and don’t have any kids in school. We’re not on WIC so I wouldn’t see flyers there or get mailings from their list. I’ve never seen an area for flyers at my local stores but I’ll keep looking for them and I’ll be sure to check the next time we’re at the pediatrician.

As a parent who is, admittedly, somewhat adrift from the community I live in, I would recommend being Internet searchable. I think the suggestions for a website that comes up on a Google search are great ones. On your website I would love to see your qualifications and reason for choosing this profession, pictures of the kids play area, sample menus, a description of a typical day and testimonials/reviews from current/past parents. I would also try Craigslist – it’s free, very area specific and an ad doesn’t take long to create.

It’s my first post so please be gentle!
Blackcat31 11:15 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I actually did them myself. I scanned and my logo and then made edits using Microsoft Word and then printed it out on the iron on transfer paper and then ironed on my own T's.

I looked at Vistaprint but they only have big boxy T's and I prefer the girl fit. I also looked at Cafe Press. The are expensive but cute though!
mismatchedsocks 11:25 AM 08-25-2011
http://www.koalateekidswear.com/

I have mine made up from here. I have bright blue shirt with white handprints and my daycare name and phone number printed on it. We love them, and I keep them here so its easier for the kids to not worry about what days to bring them. I got Kids XS ( fits babies up to age 3ish) then I got some kids small. I even asked my daycare parents if they wanted some and they ordered some too.

I got myself 5 of them all different colors, and use the Non blue one on regular days. So its my uniform!
TBird 11:28 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I actually did them myself. I scanned and my logo and then made edits using Microsoft Word and then printed it out on the iron on transfer paper and then ironed on my own T's.

I looked at Vistaprint but they only have big boxy T's and I prefer the girl fit. I also looked at Cafe Press. The are expensive but cute though!
Actually Vista Print has a woman's T now! It's more expensive than the boxy-looking one but it's there!
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 08-25-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
Actually Vista Print has a woman's T now! It's more expensive than the boxy-looking one but it's there!
Cool! I will have to check it out. Thanks!
Tags:bad economy, filling spots, need clients
Reply Up