Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Do You Hesitate To Share w/Other Providers?
TBird 07:13 AM 08-03-2011
I'm just curious....

We all seem to share here because it's extremely helpful and we're all in the same business BUT we're far enough away not to be competition for each other. I am an "information sharer" by nature (I've been helping my sister-in-law get started) but I just find that locally, it can sometimes be "ify" whether other providers will share information and resources with each other.

Luckily, I've met a few local providers from Craigslist (go figure) that have been amazing and helpful and I know a few ladies from my childcare classes as well. I just find that some providers hesitate to discuss how much they charge, how much they pay their staff, etc, etc (I understand that people can figure out how much you make by easy multiplication and I like to keep that private as well but if someone is getting started or has a question....what's the harm?). I just don't see how I could use the information to anyone's disadvantage or detriment....Lord knows I can't afford to undercut anyone or steal anyone's staff, it's just helpful to stay in-line with local rates, how things are done, etc. And on the other hand, I'm wondering if maybe they know something I don't know......what information should I hesitate to share with others???

P.S. I see this with kids' things too. Sometimes other moms know about concerts, classes, discounts, programs, etc but they always seem to share the information with others AFTERWARDS. What's up with that???
Cat Herder 07:21 AM 08-03-2011
We are technically not "ALLOWED" to discuss rates as it could lead to price fixing.
Blackcat31 07:26 AM 08-03-2011
I share everything with other providers. Just because I give someone the information or tools to do something doesn't always mean they are able to do it the same...kwim?

I am also a mentor to new providers in our area so how I do things is an open book.

We are also "discouraged" from sharing rates but it isn't like top secret information considering anyone could simply ask me and pass the info along to another provider.
MyAngels 07:26 AM 08-03-2011
Yep, we are definitely not allowed to discuss rates with our competition, that's illegal.

I find that younger providers tend to share less than the older providers I've met. I don't know why that is, inexperience maybe?

As far as parents not sharing discount/class information, etc. - I've never experienced that either personally or professionally. My daycare families are always bringing in flyers, coupons, etc. to share with the other kids' families. We are a relatively small community here, so that may be part of it.
morgan24 07:28 AM 08-03-2011
There are 6 licensed providers here, 4 of us share all kinds of info. We even share if a parent stiffs us or if a parent is looking at other care behind someones back. If I'm full I don't hesitate to recommend one of the others. We do trainings together. It helps combat the isolation too. We try not to talk about rates, but we have discussed doing a set rate or hourly. It's not to hard to figure out our prices are all the same.
Cat Herder 07:29 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I share everything with other providers. Just because I give someone the information or tools to do something doesn't always mean they are able to do it the same...kwim?

I am also a mentor to new providers in our area so how I do things is an open book.

We are also "discouraged" from sharing rates but it isn't like top secret information considering anyone could simply ask me and pass the info along to another provider.
I do the same thing. It would not be unusual to find me with a paint brush in hand helping another provider opening up shop...

The "Standard" rates are published on the States website...
Cat Herder 07:31 AM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I find that younger providers tend to share less than the older providers I've met. I don't know why that is, inexperience maybe?
IMHO, that is because after you see so many new Home Providers come and go the concept of "Competition" just seems to be a state of mind, not a reality.
MarinaVanessa 07:37 AM 08-03-2011
Here are my theories.

I think that some providers are either worried that the "special-ness" of the program will be copied by other providers making them not so special anymore lowering the value of their programs.

Others might get frustrated that they didn't get any help when they started out and now someone wants to just come in and take all of their experience and hard word to make things easy peezy for themselves.

Lastly I think that some providers may be embarrassed and maybe think that their programs may not measure up or aren't as good as other daycares and don't want to share this information. Some may only be thinking it and it's not really true while others may actually have a minimal program. It's hard for a provider to share with another provider that they keep the kids busy and their house clean by turning on the boob-tube KWIM?

Another reason and the reason why I don't share some things with people that are just starting out is that most people just ask me for the info, I spend my time helping them out and then they end up not even being serious about doing daycare. They waste my time and my time is valuable to me. Now I just refer them to the licensing website and tell them that I'll help them with the process and consult them for a fee. If they are serious then it will be a very small fee but I have yet to have someone that asks me actually do daycare.
snbauser 10:16 AM 08-03-2011
I have no problem sharing. When I first started out it seemed very complicated and the idea of what should be done first seemed overwhelming. I found some awesome providers who helped me through a lot of issues early on. Now I pass that info along. My licensing consultant actually gives my name out (after asking me if it was okay first) to all new providers when she goes for their pre-licensing visit. I have had providers call me and ask questions and I have had providers come over and check out my set up. Doesn't phase me. I know that I have a good program and I usually stay full or as full as I want to be. I have helped a number of providers who were interested in starting up their own. I even helped one who was working for me at the time

I find that most providers around here don't want to share anything and that is frustrating to someone new starting out. When I was first moving here I actually contacted several providers who were listed on our licensing website to get some information from them and not a single one responded to my emails. Unfortunately, that is why a lot of providers waste other providers time by setting up fake interviews.
sharlan 01:16 PM 08-03-2011
I'm pretty much an open book. If another provider asks me something, I try to answer the best I can. I don't have a problem with people seeing my setup, etc.

I had to laugh, I knocked on the neighbor's door to show him something I thought he would be interested in. When he opened the door, he stepped outside and shut the door. I had to laugh because I had seen his whole setup from his website. I asked him at the mailbox one day how his new little one was doing. I had heard the little guy cry several mornings in a row. He said the little guy was doing fantastic.

OK, whatever.
Kaddidle Care 01:29 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
P.S. I see this with kids' things too. Sometimes other moms know about concerts, classes, discounts, programs, etc but they always seem to share the information with others AFTERWARDS. What's up with that???
I have a neighbor like that. If I find out about free programs and such I let her know. She lets me know AFTER it's over and I usually say "Thanks a lot."

They're just Turkeys.

As far as rates - maybe you could do a poll to see what the majority charges? I don't know if that is within guidelines or not.
TBird 02:24 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I'm pretty much an open book. If another provider asks me something, I try to answer the best I can. I don't have a problem with people seeing my setup, etc.

I had to laugh, I knocked on the neighbor's door to show him something I thought he would be interested in. When he opened the door, he stepped outside and shut the door. I had to laugh because I had seen his whole setup from his website. I asked him at the mailbox one day how his new little one was doing. I had heard the little guy cry several mornings in a row. He said the little guy was doing fantastic.

OK, whatever.
GUFFAWING!!!!
I'd would have been so starved for adult conversation and some help with that crying baby that I would have dragged you inside and chained you to the crib!!!
sharlan 02:32 PM 08-03-2011
Originally Posted by TBird:
GUFFAWING!!!!
I'd would have been so starved for adult conversation and some help with that crying baby that I would have dragged you inside and chained you to the crib!!!
He has his wife and inlaws there, plenty of adults.
TBird 02:40 PM 08-03-2011
He has his wife and inlaws there, plenty of adults.
Wife and IN-LAWS??? Like I said....I would have dragged you inside and chained you to the crib!!!
sharlan 02:44 PM 08-03-2011
Actually, HER inlaws from a previous marriage. She got the inlaws in the divorce.
TBird 02:51 PM 08-03-2011
Actually, HER inlaws from a previous marriage. She got the inlaws in the divorce.
Okay....now you've got me following you home and chaining myself to YOUR crib!!! I guess you can tell I'm not the best co-habitator....
Unregistered 03:51 PM 08-03-2011
I like networking with other providers but people are funny about what they will share. When I first started doing dc I subscribed to the therory of not gettin got close to any other provider. Then I made friends with one and she ended up calling me on the phone like (no joke) 8 times a day. She was always calling me to see if I was interviewing this family or that. Somehow she always found out. Evidentually she went back to teaching ( I was so glad)
I love talking with other providers at classes and stuff, its an outlet for me. Im really only close with one other provider now and its been great. We recomend each other to people, share ideas, vent, and more. I guess some people are just more private about that stuff.
Tags:business ethics, price, prices, rate - fair and reasonable, rates - fair and reasonable
Reply Up