Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh...No Kids!
AfterSchoolMom 01:01 PM 08-17-2011
It's 3 weeks before school starts, and I have NO SA's lined up. None, zip, zero. No SA's = no income. I don't know what to do!!
MG&Lsmom 01:17 PM 08-17-2011
Right there with ya! As of Friday I have no kids. I picked up some lifeguard hours the week of the 29th at my DH's pool, but that's barely one full time tuition. I'm spiffing up my resume and applying for PT office jobs. I hope something comes through fast for both of us!
BusyBee 01:20 PM 08-17-2011
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
It's 3 weeks before school starts, and I have NO SA's lined up. None, zip, zero. No SA's = no income. I don't know what to do!!
Do you JUST do afterschool care? Your name would suggest that, but I'm just curious, do you do care on days that kids are out of school, as well? I either need to quit daycare at the end of the school year or revamp. I'm just looking for ideas--after school care, or maybe just doing teacher's kids...
AfterSchoolMom 01:35 PM 08-17-2011
Yes, I just do before and after. I do keep them most days that school is out, but I take off for Christmas and Spring breaks and the summer.

I highly recommend it - SA's are challenging, but the hours can't be beaten for the money, and it leaves the school day to get errands and things done. If, of course, you can find kids in the first place.

I applied for a VERY part time job - about 10 hrs. per week - and I should hear about that soon. It's not going to be anywhere near the same money, though.
MG&Lsmom 01:44 PM 08-17-2011
~~~~~Daycare calls~~~~~Daycare calls~~~~~Daycare calls!

Maybe that will work?
radhas 01:47 PM 08-17-2011
Don't worry. They will line up. For me also the same thing, I was crying and one day before the school starts , so many phone calls, interviews and Now I have 12 School Ages kids in my center.

Do not lose the hope. Wait and see.
familyschoolcare 01:49 PM 08-17-2011
OP I feel your pain and I hop that what others are saying about it picking up is true. Here it is the week before school starts and I only have 1. I have had calls for infants but I am not equipped for them and do not have room for the equipment.
daycare 01:54 PM 08-17-2011
I have kids, but have never been this low on kids... I also have had calls for infants and I don't take them.

One lady in my area has been in business for over 20 years and she told me that she might be closing....starting to scare me... ugh

I am also in the Bay area
BusyBee 02:08 PM 08-17-2011
Yes, I just do before and after. I do keep them most days that school is out, but I take off for Christmas and Spring breaks and the summer.

I highly recommend it - SA's are challenging, but the hours can't be beaten for the money, and it leaves the school day to get errands and things done. If, of course, you can find kids in the first place.

I applied for a VERY part time job - about 10 hrs. per week - and I should hear about that soon. It's not going to be anywhere near the same money, though.
Can I ask what/how you charge? If you don't mind sharing.
cheerfuldom 03:02 PM 08-17-2011
Can you put up signs by the schools?
Meeko 03:49 PM 08-17-2011
I wish you lived near here! The phone hasn't stopped ringing with folks needing before and after school care and I have no room!!
SandeeAR 04:20 PM 08-17-2011
Maybe you should take a few flyers to the local elementary schools. That way if they get calls from folks moving into the area, or just changing schools, they might pass on the info. Maybe take a box of cookies in to the secretary with the flyers? She will be the one taking those sort of calls.
Abigail 05:41 PM 08-17-2011
Also, if you're a home owner and had a realtor, you should contact them and ask to have your flyers in their office. Can't beat that!
AfterSchoolMom 07:02 PM 08-17-2011
Originally Posted by BusyBee:
Can I ask what/how you charge? If you don't mind sharing.
$16 daily for b/a, $12 for one or the other. I don't offer part time rates though, and don't usually do sibling discounts. I may be willing to change any and all of that at this point, though, just to get some kids in the door!

Everyone else, I appreciate the ideas! We aren't allowed to distribute flyers within our schools for services like childcare...but I do have the word out with every Mom I know, many of whom are on the PTA. I've already got one at the local library, children's consignment store, and even the corner convenience store (actually a very family friendly place).
Unregistered 07:21 PM 08-17-2011
Our elementary school maintains a "Babysitter list" - which annoys me no end, but which has actually brought me some kids. I've contacted the maintainer of the list to ask for a change of title, to no avail. If your kid rides a bus to daycare you must let the bus garage know the address of your "babysitter" - every year this is announced in the school and town newsletters. GRRRR. The kids don't like it either - they don't like being called babies!
OP - does your local school have a list of references for daycare?
familyschoolcare 08:16 PM 08-17-2011
$16 daily for b/a, $12 for one or the other. I don't offer part time rates though, and don't usually do sibling discounts. I may be willing to change any and all of that at this point, though, just to get some kids in the door!

Everyone else, I appreciate the ideas! We aren't allowed to distribute flyers within our schools for services like childcare...but I do have the word out with every Mom I know, many of whom are on the PTA. I've already got one at the local library, children's consignment store, and even the corner convenience store (actually a very family friendly place).
I am not allowed to advertise at the school either.
Meyou 02:52 AM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Our elementary school maintains a "Babysitter list" - which annoys me no end, but which has actually brought me some kids. I've contacted the maintainer of the list to ask for a change of title, to no avail. If your kid rides a bus to daycare you must let the bus garage know the address of your "babysitter" - every year this is announced in the school and town newsletters. GRRRR. The kids don't like it either - they don't like being called babies!
OP - does your local school have a list of references for daycare?
Our school has this list too although it's called the Childcare list. lol Only parents of kids in school are allowed on it and they give out copies in the office to any parent that asks. My friend does B/A and she has good luck from the list although some of her spots are always filled after school starts.
laundrymom 04:30 AM 08-18-2011
Am I the only one who waited until after my kids were in bed to open this thread? Lol
AfterSchoolMom 06:24 AM 08-20-2011
Well...I've gotten two calls.

One from a woman who has a "friend" that "may" need care (probably fishing for info).

One from a woman who has an infant and wants a nanny to come to her house.

Two weeks before school starts now...
Gigi 12:07 AM 09-09-2011
How's it going? Perhaps you can also have your daycare service listed in the a daycare finder directory online? That might also help, or have a facebook page created with the words "Daycare" and "your location" in your FB page?

Will probably show up in Google when someone searches for it. Fliers in pedia clinics, school bulletin boards might also help!

I do hope that you have your hands full now though
AfterSchoolMom 04:32 AM 09-09-2011
Nope, we're into school now (first week is over) and I never got any calls. I'm still posting on CL and telling everyone and putting up flyers, just in case people aren't happy with their current arrangements (though I'd never word it that way!). This is the first time in 4 years that I haven't had ANYONE.

DH and I are just being MUCH more careful with spending and have cut out every extra...it's hard though, because we're out a large chunk of income.
momofboys 03:16 PM 09-09-2011
Nope, we're into school now (first week is over) and I never got any calls. I'm still posting on CL and telling everyone and putting up flyers, just in case people aren't happy with their current arrangements (though I'd never word it that way!). This is the first time in 4 years that I haven't had ANYONE.

DH and I are just being MUCH more careful with spending and have cut out every extra...it's hard though, because we're out a large chunk of income.
So sorry!~ I hope your luck turns around & you find some perfect families!
Tags:advertising ideas, filling spots, no business, no income
Reply Up