Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fed Up! Sorry To Vent :(
wahmof3 04:34 PM 11-21-2011
Really- why do I take my time to make up a contract & a policy book when the dcp don't even bother to read them???

My newest dcm came in today at pick-up & asked what she owes me for this week because its a 2 day week.

I only have kids Mon & Tues this week bc I only have teachers kids & Thanksgiving break is Wed-Fri. So I didn't "close" it just worked out this way. Dcm told me last week that this week would only be a 2 day week.

I didn't know what to say to her. (I lack backbone )
Our contract states that Thanksgiving & Friday after are paid holidays for me.

Here's my fear: if I charge her the full rate, she might look somewhere else for cheaper child care & I really don't want to lose this family. I fear this bc I just went through this with another dcf.

So how do I respond to her?
Cat Herder 04:40 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
My newest dcm came in today at pick-up & asked what she owes me for this week because its a 2 day week.

Sorry, I understand, believe me. THIS is my biggest parental pet peeve. I had one ask today, too. I said "Same as last year.".

Tell her what she owes.

Don't let fear of the unknown stop you from enforcing your own policies.

Until you are able to look your clients in the eye and communicate effectively, this will NEVER end.

Saying NO does not always end in clients leaving. I say NO all the time.
It is the everyday YES's that keep them here (good food, happy kids, reliability) .

Stick to your guns. The payoff is worth it.
Heidi 04:43 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
Really- why do I take my time to make up a contract & a policy book when the dcp don't even bother to read them???

I only have kids Mon & Tues this week bc I only have teachers kids & Thanksgiving break is Wed-Fri. So I didn't "close" it just worked out this way. Dcm told me last week that this week would only be a 2 day week.

I didn't know what to say to her. (I lack backbone )
Our contract states that Thanksgiving & Friday after are paid holidays for me.

Here's my fear: if I charge her the full rate, she might look somewhere else for cheaper child care & I really don't want to lose this family. I fear this bc I just went through this with another dcf.

You just enrolled her? Did you talk about this at your interview? It is so close to the holidays, and she is new. I would think it would have come up!

I personally rarely make exceptions, but it would be up to you. Either just tell her what she owes, or take control of the negotiating.

I'd hate to start negotiating, but maybe this: "Hey, I was thinking about the holiday situation. Since your family just started here, how about if we split the cost of my days off, so you pay me for Thursday but not for Friday? It just seems fair to GIVE YOU a little break." Then remind her about what will happen at future holidays PER OUR CONTRACT.

Smile and take charge, girl!
daycare 04:57 PM 11-21-2011
I would not offer any discount...I am also sick of sitting down explaining in full my policies at enrollment time, sending out countless reminders, just to have one say OH you're closed, oh good I get to save some money....And yes its usually the new families....

I simply remind them of my rules and go on my merry way. I don't hold hands for those who chose not to read my rules.
wahmof3 05:10 PM 11-21-2011
During the interview: Dcm says care will be needed for 3-4 days per week. I responded that 3 days is full time & that its a flat rate of XX per week. The fee is due regardless bc I cannot fill your childs spot. I don't charge for the summer bc I can fill your child's spot with a SA child. Thought its pretty easy to understand

Well here's the issue too: a couple weeks ago, I took 3 personal days that I had told all my dcp I would be taking- it was a family thing. I didn't charge for the days I was not available- I told her to pay me for 2 days. I guess now its expected!

I really think that if I budge on the fee and say I will let it slide this time, it will be an every week occurence. Like: oh if I bring dcb 2 days and find a relative to keep him the other days, I wont have to pay as much.

I just want to throw in the towel! Why is pay for the space such a hard concept to comprehend??
DaycareMom 05:11 PM 11-21-2011
If your contract says you are to be paid Th and F then you should be paid those days. Perhaps you can offer care for Wednesday since it isn't a paid holiday. If she says no, tell her you are open so if she refuses care, she still needs to pay you.
Sprouts 05:15 PM 11-21-2011
I use an agreement form that states the days and times that you are expected to watch the children and how much it is per week, she signs and you sign, this way it is understood. I will upload this forms for you if you want them and have everyone sign it. I am not on my comp right now, but when I am I will post it.
wahmof3 05:19 PM 11-21-2011
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
I use an agreement form that states the days and times that you are expected to watch the children and how much it is per week, she signs and you sign, this way it is understood. I will upload this forms for you if you want them and have everyone sign it. I am not on my comp right now, but when I am I will post it.
that would be great! thanks!!
mom2many 10:04 PM 11-21-2011
After being in this business for as long as I have, I hate to admit that still, I simply HATE to talk about money! It is not something that I ever want to do! Yes, I believe I deserve to get paid what my contract states...but NO I do not want to confront anyone...

With that being said, I had 2 new families that started in July and August and both signed contracts acknowledging my PAID holidays.

Saturday I received payment from the one family and it was short for Thursday and Friday. I was upset and wondering why they'd misunderstood the contract.

Because the other family was going to be gone this week, (mom is a teacher) I was stressed out and hated having to call and confront this. However, I knew that I needed to reiterate my contract with them and make sure it was clear. When I called her, I explained that Thurs and Fri are "paid" days off and she acknowledged that she was aware of that and had planned to pay me accordingly. I felt so much better knowing that I was going to get paid what I had been expecting in my contract with them and that all was good!

So... when the other family drops off this morning, I asked them why my check was short for the 2 days of my holiday pay this week. Dad explained that mom tried to convince him that they they didn't need to pay for those days. Long story short, it was a simple miscommunication between parents and mom misunderstood the obligations to pay for those days off.

It has taken me a LONG time to stand up for specific things like this. I just want to offer encouragement to other providers...NO matter how long you have been doing this, stand by your contract and DO NOT let people walk all over you! It can sometimes be completely innocent and it's uncomfortable to speak up, but you deserve to get paid what you are owed!!!!
Blackcat31 06:56 AM 11-22-2011
I rarely have conversations about money.

I use MMK software so I print out their billing BEFORE they pay me and in the note section, I write things like: REMINDER, Thursday and Friday Nov 24-25 are PAID days for ALL parents.

I hand them their bills personally and come Friday, they pay what they were billed. Doing things IN WRITING solves the dilemma of ever having to verbally remind someone or even have to explain things.
Sprouts 08:31 AM 11-22-2011
Contract and rate agreement
Attached: CONTRACT AND RATE.doc (18.5 KB) 
sahm2three 08:36 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
Tell her what she owes.

Don't let fear of the unknown stop you from enforcing your own policies.

Until you are able to look your clients in the eye and communicate effectively, this will NEVER end.

Saying NO does not always end in clients leaving. I say NO all the time.
It is the everyday YES's that keep them here (good food, happy kids, reliability) .

Stick to your guns. The payoff is worth it.
Yep, THIS. If it is in your contract and handbook, which they signed, then just say, As per my contract, I have Thurs and Fri off with pay, so it is just the full amount. I had one ask me yesterday how much for the week too. I just said, same price. She didn't say anything. So I didn't offer any more. If she had read my contract/handbook, she would know. PLUS, I sent home a reminder note last week.
Sprouts 08:38 AM 11-22-2011
Do you write recepts for them?
When you make a bill on MMK is there a way to show you got paid?? Or how to wrtie in what you were paid??
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Do you write recepts for them?
When you make a bill on MMK is there a way to show you got paid?? Or how to wrtie in what you were paid??
Yep, when you create a billing/invoice, it goes under the category(tab) of "unpaid invoices". As soon as you are paid, you click on the unpaid invoice tab and one of the options is record a payment. Then you record what they paid. I include the check number. If parents want a receipt, I print out the paid invoice. If a parent doesn't pay the full amount, it keeps a running total of what they owe too.
Ariana 09:33 AM 11-22-2011
I too was nervous about chatting about money but I find that the more you do it the easier it is!! I always send an e-mail first and then when they come to the door ask "did you get my e-mail regarding payment"? It's a good ice breaker to bring the convo up. I also draft e-mails with dates and amounts and ask for 3 months advance post dates cheques which helps a lot!
wdmmom 09:51 AM 11-22-2011
Start answering questions with questions.

Parent: "What do I owe you this week?"
Provider: "What do you owe me every week? or "Were you planning on paying me more than usual? That's be a nice gift! "

Parent: "Why do I owe you for holidays?"
Provider: "Do you get paid holidays at your job?" or "Did you read the contract when you enrolled?"
daycare 09:55 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I too was nervous about chatting about money but I find that the more you do it the easier it is!! I always send an e-mail first and then when they come to the door ask "did you get my e-mail regarding payment"? It's a good ice breaker to bring the convo up. I also draft e-mails with dates and amounts and ask for 3 months advance post dates cheques which helps a lot!
this is so true....YOu cant get good at something if you don't do it.
wahmof3 10:13 AM 11-22-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Start answering questions with questions.

Parent: "What do I owe you this week?"
Provider: "What do you owe me every week? or "Were you planning on paying me more than usual? That's be a nice gift! "

Parent: "Why do I owe you for holidays?"
Provider: "Do you get paid holidays at your job?" or "Did you read the contract when you enrolled?"
This is great!!!!!!!!! ............................."thats a nice gift"
Tags:enforcing policies - consistency, holiday rates, rates - fair and reasonable
Reply Up