Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCM Medical Emergency While Picking Up Kids
jojosmommy 11:10 AM 02-14-2012
Yesterday at pick up one of my dcms went from totally normal to emergency room ill. 1dcb was already dressed in shoes and coat when mom looked up and I instantly knew something wasn't right. I took off lo's shoes and enticed him upstairs with a tv show ( usually off limits but this was an emergency) and I knew nothing else would get him away from mom since he thought he was going home.

Mom turned bright red, huge pupils, racing heart. I got her to the couch and asked her if she wanted ice/something to drink etc. I asked her if she wanted me to call 911 but she said no. She is an md so she was being stubborn and trying to self diagnose. I called her hubs and told him to pick her up asap and take her to ER. I also had my husband come home from work (2 min away) in case I needed his help with her or the kids.

All the kids were completely obliv to what was going on. Dcd came and picked dcm up and took her to the ER. She was conscious, verbal responsive, normal breathing etc the whole time but looked like someone drugged her. She was talking slow and had trouble piecing together what she did prior to coming. Apparently she took some antibiotics in the car on the way to pick up kids for a sinus infection she has and was allergic to them. Within an hour or so she was fine. We were all thankful she took them before picking up the kids and not
while driving home.

Scared me for sure. I have never had this happen before.
DBug 11:25 AM 02-14-2012
Oh my! Thank goodness you recognized that something was wrong! Especially since she sounds like the type of person that might have just left without admitting she was feeling strangely.

That would have scared me to death . I'm so glad she's feeling better now and that they figured out what caused her reaction!

Kudos for your quick-thinking!
kendallina 11:40 AM 02-14-2012
Yikes, so scary. You handled it exactly right! So glad the mom is okay...
MyAngels 11:41 AM 02-14-2012
Wow. My first thought reading that was stroke - glad it wasn't that. Cheers to you for handling it so well .
cheerfuldom 12:06 PM 02-14-2012
you did great OP! super daycare provider to the rescue!!
MissK 12:53 PM 02-16-2012
Definitely scary! You handled it great and I bet the family is very thankful to you for that!
jojosmommy 06:30 PM 02-16-2012
Dcm took two days off work and took the kids to the local science museum. Guess the scare made her want to snuggle her babies more than usual.
Tags:allergic reactions, emergency, scary
Reply Up