Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ideas for creating center areas
TheGoodLife 10:31 PM 02-22-2013
I have a nice-sized walkout basement for my daycare. It is basically in the shape of an L. I am looking for ideas to create different areas (reading, kitchen, manipulatives, ect) and wanted to pick some brains as to how I can safely divide up the areas. I was thinking horizontal shelves, but I want to make sure they are unable to tip over. Any ideas you can share with me? I'd love any pictures- I can upload a picture or 2 of my basement tomorrow as well. TIA
daisymae31 10:43 PM 02-22-2013
We had a set of cubbies that each "unit" has places for 5 kids to hang their stuff in. One day, one of the kids toppled it over, and we learned that a cubbie has to be against a wall, not just freestanding. So it limits where we can put them. But safety is a first. So I would think about where the big furniture items are going first, and then design around that.
Starburst 10:45 AM 02-23-2013
You can use toy shelves, tables, and couches to seperate the areas. Even bigger toys (such as a toy kitchen set) to create a visual boundry wall. If you don't have carpet (like if you have tile, hardwood, or concreate) you can also try to use duct or masking tape to create a visual boarder on the floor and the wall. You can also see about using different flooring in those areas like in the kitchen area get some tile and a flat rug or carpet in the floor activities area. they also have free range baby gates that you can secure to the wall (just get a wall anchor/hook) and still use it as a visual marker. you can also try getting those 3 fold post boards and use that to devide the space up a bit
MsLaura529 10:57 AM 02-23-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
I have a nice-sized walkout basement for my daycare. It is basically in the shape of an L. I am looking for ideas to create different areas (reading, kitchen, manipulatives, ect) and wanted to pick some brains as to how I can safely divide up the areas. I was thinking horizontal shelves, but I want to make sure they are unable to tip over. Any ideas you can share with me? I'd love any pictures- I can upload a picture or 2 of my basement tomorrow as well. TIA
I've been trying to arrange m daycare area, too ... not as much space as yours sounds - mine is just a living/dining room combo area with a larger foyer. I had it all open at first, but then I decided that would be too inviting for running around haha, so I started to play around with different "sections". The living room area is pretty open, but includes the library area (low bookshelf, pillows, stuffed animals), the baby area (some larger baby toys and the exersaucer - I'd really like to get a play yard for this area in the future, but they are a bit expensive), and it's always where the ride-on push cars are the toy bin of all of the (organized) random toys. Agains the back of the toy bin, I have the Litle Tykes kitchen (so these two things are sticking OUT from the wall where it turns into the dining room part). I have a little workbench there and the dress-up bin. Then, that is also where I have the table/high chair. I'd really like to turn the kitchen area into a "dramatic play" area, looking at getting a cube-type shelf to use as a "wall" - maybe bolt the side into the wall? Then move the rtain table over there, so that I can switch it out into a sensory area (and keep all the sensory bin supplies in the sub shelves).
TheGoodLife 11:11 AM 02-23-2013
Has anyone secured the side of a low bookshelf to the wall, instead of the back? That's what I was thinking of, but I haven't been able to find anyone who's done it themself so far. I want to try making a reading nook, with kids' chairs/ beanbags/ other seating, but I have a feeling my kids would be moving them often if I didn't have something physical to border the area.
nanglgrl 11:31 AM 02-23-2013
My basement is about the same shape. I have photos posted in the decor group. I was able to make about 10 different centers just by where I placed things.
TheGoodLife 12:02 PM 02-23-2013
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
My basement is about the same shape. I have photos posted in the decor group. I was able to make about 10 different centers just by where I placed things.
How cute!!! I would love to be able to do DC for 1 year and older- my future dream is to do a full structured preschool, with DC hours.

Thanks for sharing- is that loft homemade or did you buy one? It reminds me of our Children's Museum here in Omaha.
nanglgrl 08:08 PM 02-23-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
How cute!!! I would love to be able to do DC for 1 year and older- my future dream is to do a full structured preschool, with DC hours.

Thanks for sharing- is that loft homemade or did you buy one? It reminds me of our Children's Museum here in Omaha.
I've only taken children 1 year and up for years. Actually most of my kids start at about 16 months. I'm also only open until 3:30 which is something I just instituted in the last few months. I think it's more condusive to a preschool atmosphere now that they leave earlier. I've never had a problem not taking infants but I rarely have siblings. I usually have parents that only intend to have one child or parents who are in college that won't have another child for years.
My husband made the loft. Our state requires 2 direct exits from the basement so we put an egress in. They also require steps up to the egress so I decided to be creative with it instead of just having steps. Thankfully my husband can look at my drawings and make them come to life!
The children LOVE the loft. They spend most of their time in that corner of the basement. It's great but I sometimes wish they would explore the other areas more.
melskids 02:42 AM 02-24-2013
I have a three foot high, 4 foot long shelf (actually two of them!) anchored to the wall by only the side of it. As long as you hit a stud, it should hold just fine.
Tags:decorating, learning center, playroom layout
Reply Up