Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Beginer NEED HELP PLEASE
Breezy1217 05:55 PM 08-16-2009
I wish to begin a home daycare, or work for a daycare sometime in the near future. The only problem is I can't find anywhere in Indiana, or online college that I can get a degree (CDA or CCP). I've tried to look for a way to do a self study, but that is getting frustrating, and not to mention confusing. I can't seem to find a direction to go. If someone knows what to do, can you please give me some advice.
mac60 03:12 AM 08-17-2009
I am a home daycare provider, so I am only speaking for myself here. I started my daycare 10 years ago, after working in a factory for 21 years. I had 10 years experience in quality/safety, and as a deptartment supervisor. At the time I quit my job of 21 years and opened my own daycare, my own kids were 6 and 8 yrs. old. I did not have any formal training, just raising my own children. Most of the centers in my town do not have employees with degrees. It is only a piece of paper. I did go back to college and received a certificate in Office Administration in 2005. I am finishing up my Associates starting this semester.

When I started, I did research, wrote my handbook, bought the necessary supplies needed, which included high chair, pack in play, baby swing, walker, basic toys, activities and such. You don't have to go all out. Purchase a few basic items and you can continue to build on those as your business grows.

I offer a preschool curriculum. I requested the kindergarten packet from our local school and based my curriculum on that. I found all my materials online and at a teachers store in the city.

While I don't know what the rules and regs are where you live, where I live we do not have to have a degree to do childcare. Just the love for children and the desire to teach and nuture them. Remember, a degree ends up being a piece of paper, and because you don't have one doesn't mean you are not qualified.

As far as education, there are some online courses, Penn Foster is one, and I know of others out there, do a Google Search and some should come up. Our local community college offers a 2 yr degree in Early Childhood Education.

Personally, I think you would make more money owning your own home daycare verses working in a center, and you will be your own boss. Also, you may want to start with your own daycare in your home to get the feel for things and see if that is truly the direction you want your career/education to go. Good luck.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 06:03 AM 08-17-2009
The only problem is I can't find anywhere in Indiana, or online college that I can get a degree (CDA or CCP). I've tried to look for a way to do a self study, but that is getting frustrating, and not to mention confusing. I can't seem to find a direction to go. If someone knows what to do, can you please give me some advice.[/quote]

call your local resource and referral . Check out Paths to Quality. If you do not wish to go that route look into "Care Courses". Its reliable, informative and accepted for a CDA in In.
Unregistered 04:53 PM 08-18-2009
I'm in Canada so I'm sure things are way different here than they are in Indiana. I run a Licenced Family Child Care in British Columbia (a home daycare, I don' tknow what your terms are out there lol) ... I got most of my necessary information from the referral service in my area. It's called the Child Care Resource & Referral here, again, not sure what it would be called out there.

As for degrees, HERE you don't have to have a degree at all. There is a course that we can get through the referral agency which is also a part of the ECE (early childhood educator) program here. That course (or another 20 hour course relating to child development) is all that is required to open a daycare. That and an inspection of your home, first aid certificate and some form of relevant experience. Again, I obtained all information I needed through the referral agency.

I did a quick google search and found this website for the Indiana Association for Child Care Resource & Referral. http://www.iaccrr.org/ Hope that helps
Breezy1217 02:14 PM 08-19-2009
Thank you all for your help. If you find anymore websites or other places to go to help, please let me know. I think I am well on my way now.
Tags:cda or ccp, college, indiana, starting a daycare, teaching
Reply Up