Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Watching Your Accountant
Josiegirl 10:49 AM 01-02-2019
I trust my tax guy; he seems really good and knows what he's doing but wonder if I'm being too trusting? He sits on his side of the desk, I am on the other. He just enters all the info I provide so I don't see what he's doing. I was discussing tax preparers with my dd and she said I should be watching every single thing he enters. He has made 1-2 errors but he's human, after all and I've been going to him for about 8 years or so. He came to me by word of mouth and does taxes for a lot of local businesses and providers as well.
So my question is for those that have taxes prepared by someone else, do you watch every single thing they enter?

And Mr. Copeland, do people normally do that or just assume/trust it'll be done correctly?

I feel strange asking to watch what he's doing.
Reply
TomCopeland 11:03 AM 01-02-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I trust my tax guy; he seems really good and knows what he's doing but wonder if I'm being too trusting? He sits on his side of the desk, I am on the other. He just enters all the info I provide so I don't see what he's doing. I was discussing tax preparers with my dd and she said I should be watching every single thing he enters. He has made 1-2 errors but he's human, after all and I've been going to him for about 8 years or so. He came to me by word of mouth and does taxes for a lot of local businesses and providers as well.
So my question is for those that have taxes prepared by someone else, do you watch every single thing they enter?

And Mr. Copeland, do people normally do that or just assume/trust it'll be done correctly?

I feel strange asking to watch what he's doing.
It is common for providers to give their tax preparers numbers for their income and expenses and do nothing more to see if the numbers that appear on their tax return are correct.
This creates many problems when tax preparers either make mistakes or the provider can't tell where the numbers on her tax return came from. I see this all the time.
You are responsible for what is on your tax return. If the tax preparer makes a mistake and you owe more money, you will pay, not your tax preparer.
Many tax preparers do not understand all of the unique tax rules affecting family child care providers.
Once you get your tax return back from your tax preparer, you should examine it very closely and know where each number came from. If you don't know, ask for a clarification. Your tax preparer may not be around if you get audited and you'll have to explain all of your numbers.
My book Family Child Care Tax Companion is designed to reduce the chances that your tax preparer will make mistakes.
Reply
Josiegirl 04:22 PM 01-02-2019
Thank you for your reply. I know I should pay very close attention while he's filling in the blanks, I just feel odd asking him if I can watch. He files it electronically while I'm there; it would be better to bring the paperwork home and go over it all myself(not that I'd know what I'm looking at but I'm sure your book would help me understand better!) and then send it in?
I guess I'd never thought about it before, just trusted they were doing the right thing.
Reply
storybookending 10:01 PM 01-02-2019
I didnít even know that this was a thing. I meet with my tax person and he doesnít do anything in front of me. Itís actually weeks before I get the call that they are ready. I am switching this year to another preparer. We have a meeting in early February. My cousin who also does in home uses her and doesnít even meet with her, she just drops off her things and picks them up when she calls and says they are done.
Reply
Leigh 09:53 AM 01-03-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I trust my tax guy; he seems really good and knows what he's doing but wonder if I'm being too trusting? He sits on his side of the desk, I am on the other. He just enters all the info I provide so I don't see what he's doing. I was discussing tax preparers with my dd and she said I should be watching every single thing he enters. He has made 1-2 errors but he's human, after all and I've been going to him for about 8 years or so. He came to me by word of mouth and does taxes for a lot of local businesses and providers as well.
So my question is for those that have taxes prepared by someone else, do you watch every single thing they enter?

And Mr. Copeland, do people normally do that or just assume/trust it'll be done correctly?

I feel strange asking to watch what he's doing.
If I am understanding correctly, your DD wants you to look over your preparer's shoulder as they enter your data?

Would you let a parent stay at daycare and look over your shoulder while you feed their baby or change a diaper? It is important to know what's going on with your return. You can ask for a copy before the filing is made, but I doubt that a tax preparer would let you literally sit next to them and watch every keystroke.
Reply
Josiegirl 11:21 AM 01-03-2019
Originally Posted by Leigh:
If I am understanding correctly, your DD wants you to look over your preparer's shoulder as they enter your data?

Would you let a parent stay at daycare and look over your shoulder while you feed their baby or change a diaper? It is important to know what's going on with your return. You can ask for a copy before the filing is made, but I doubt that a tax preparer would let you literally sit next to them and watch every keystroke.
Well, in so many words that's what she suggested, as in I need to be aware of what he's entering which is what Mr. Copeland advised also. And watching every line he fills in is exactly what leaves me feeling awkward and uncomfortable. But I'll either ask him to let me see it before he files electronically or I'll have him print it all out and I can send it in myself.
Reply
TomCopeland 11:34 AM 01-03-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Thank you for your reply. I know I should pay very close attention while he's filling in the blanks, I just feel odd asking him if I can watch. He files it electronically while I'm there; it would be better to bring the paperwork home and go over it all myself(not that I'd know what I'm looking at but I'm sure your book would help me understand better!) and then send it in?
I guess I'd never thought about it before, just trusted they were doing the right thing.
Yes, it's a great idea to take your tax return home and review it before it's filed.
Reply
hwichlaz 01:09 PM 01-04-2019
yeah,don't be a creeper over his shoulder, just proof read it when it's done
Reply
Josiegirl 04:13 PM 01-04-2019
Creeper Wasn't going to go that far. And it would creep me out as well as him, I'm sure.
Reply
Meeko 01:47 PM 01-06-2019
I use Tax Cut from HR Block and do it myself. It takes time, but it asks questions that are easy to follow. It even asks if you are a daycare and takes care of that side of things.
I also claim back the cost of the program as a business expense.
Reply
Tags:accountant
Reply Up