Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 01-02-2020, 09:18 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default 2019 Attendance Record Hours or Hours of Operation?

Q: In your Time/Space Calculations do you calculate based on *Attendance Records* hours or *Hours of Operation* hours?

I have always believed we were supposed to go by *Attendance Records* hours but don't feel I should be penalized if kids show up late. I was at work on time.

My husband does not lose time from his home office hours if no one calls or emails first thing in the morning, why should I? Valid question.

Thoughts?
Old 01-02-2020, 09:27 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default Time-Space%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
Q: In your Time/Space Calculations do you calculate based on *Attendance Records* hours or *Hours of Operation* hours?

I have always believed we were supposed to go by *Attendance Records* hours but don't feel I should be penalized if kids show up late. I was at work on time.

My husband does not lose time from his home office hours if no one calls or emails first thing in the morning, why should I? Valid question.

Thoughts?
If you open at 7am and no child shows up before 6:30am, you can't count this half hour just because you are open. However, if you are doing some business activity during that time, you can count the half hour.
Old 01-02-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCopeland View Post
If you open at 7am and no child shows up before 6:30am, you can't count this half hour just because you are open. However, if you are doing some business activity during that time, you can count the half hour.
Why? Where can I find this info?
Old 01-02-2020, 09:50 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default Time-Space%

Quote:
Why? Where can I find this info?
There is no IRS publication that says you can or can't count an hour you are open but don't care for children. However, if you aren't caring for children you aren't using your home for your business (unless you are doing some business activity). Your home transfers back to being personal when children aren't present. Otherwise, a provider could say she's open 24 hours a day and claim 24 hours even though children are only there for 11 hours. If a providers was audited she won't win this argument.
Old 01-02-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
There is no IRS publication that says you can or can't count an hour you are open but don't care for children. However, if you aren't caring for children you aren't using your home for your business (unless you are doing some business activity). Your home transfers back to being personal when children aren't present. Otherwise, a provider could say she's open 24 hours a day and claim 24 hours even though children are only there for 11 hours. If a providers was audited she won't win this argument.
I wanted to make sure you knew I was not intending to argue with you. I truly do not understand why I lose hours when my husband, who also works from home, does not.

My business hours are only 10 hours per day (7:30-5:30). The problem is that during summer and school breaks my clients (teachers/one parent at home) would like to sleep in and drop the kids off sometime before lunch. I would lose around 4 hours per day of time/space hours during this time.

I considered being more flexible with my drop-off cut-off time (9:00) requirements for 2020, but this policy is one that helps keep my deductions in check. It all adds up. I guess I'll just stick to my current policy.

Thanks!!
Old 01-02-2020, 12:58 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default Time-Space%

Quote:
I wanted to make sure you knew I was not intending to argue with you. I truly do not understand why I lose hours when my husband, who also works from home, does not.

My business hours are only 10 hours per day (7:30-5:30). The problem is that during summer and school breaks my clients (teachers/one parent at home) would like to sleep in and drop the kids off sometime before lunch. I would lose around 4 hours per day of time/space hours during this time.

I considered being more flexible with my drop-off cut-off time (9:00) requirements for 2020, but this policy is one that helps keep my deductions in check. It all adds up. I guess I'll just stick to my current policy.

Thanks!!
It's okay to argue with me! Although I didn't take what you said as an argument. It's always appropriate to ask me or your tax preparer or the IRS, "Where does it say that?"
If your husband is self employed and works at your home, he must have an office or other space that is exclusively used for his business. In that case, he doesn't count hours, because the room is never used personally.
Old 01-02-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
It's okay to argue with me! Although I didn't take what you said as an argument. It's always appropriate to ask me or your tax preparer or the IRS, "Where does it say that?"
If your husband is self employed and works at your home, he must have an office or other space that is exclusively used for his business. In that case, he doesn't count hours, because the room is never used personally.
That makes sense. By the same token, my daycare playroom is not used by my family, either. It is a converted garage set up in preschool centers with a children's handwashing sink and commercial changing station. Our kids are adults and living on their own. No grandkids for a while to come. I do use a couple other rooms and more space than he does.

I was trying to apply logic to government. I'll just cut that out, now. I used Kidkare, hit print and mailed everything off to my accountant this afternoon. Feels great to be done.

Thanks!!
Old 01-02-2020, 02:36 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default Time-Space%

Quote:
That makes sense. By the same token, my daycare playroom is not used by my family, either. It is a converted garage set up in preschool centers with a children's handwashing sink and commercial changing station. Our kids are adults and living on their own. No grandkids for a while to come. I do use a couple other rooms and more space than he does.

I was trying to apply logic to government. I'll just cut that out, now. I used Kidkare, hit print and mailed everything off to my accountant this afternoon. Feels great to be done.

Thanks!!
It's a somewhat good analogy. When you have an exclusive use room it's considered business use, even if no one is in the room. But, if you are doing business activities in the room when children are not present you can count those hours.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
It's a somewhat good analogy. When you have an exclusive use room it's considered business use, even if no one is in the room. But, if you are doing business activities in the room when children are not present you can count those hours.
Thank you!!
Old 01-08-2020, 03:21 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default keep busy

I think if you open at 7:30 but kids don't dhow up till later that is still hours claimed. You could empty dishwasher, work on books, get crafts ready, clean house, vacuum, dust, laundry bids, bedding. On and on endless stuff!
Old 01-09-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieG View Post
I think if you open at 7:30 but kids don't dhow up till later that is still hours claimed. You could empty dishwasher, work on books, get crafts ready, clean house, vacuum, dust, laundry bids, bedding. On and on endless stuff!
Oh, how true that is. I actually start work at 5:30 each morning (up at 4:30) with meal prep, playground inspection, play center prep and lesson planning. I do this so my evenings are available exclusively for my husband.

I do worry about adding an extra 6 hours per day on the days they would like to show up late (11:30ish). I can't depend on them not changing their minds and showing up so I still need to prep and I don't want to give up deductions, either. I would already lose those breakfast/morning snack meal count write-offs. Even though I do work those hours daily and am not free to leave (I prefer outdoors), I feel it may be something that could get me flagged. YKWIM?

I really think keeping my drop-off cut-off may be the best route for me. I need my deductions to stay profitable and be able to continue working from home. I also like the routine of all the kids on the same schedule for the day.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:45 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Great topic, how I deduct a space that is exclusively for business?, thank you
Old 01-09-2020, 06:15 PM
New Daycare.com Member

I have a question, how do I prove that I am up at 5:30 am doing curriculum, food preparation, daycare inspection, daycare cleaning, etc; do I have to take pictures of me doing that or how?, thank you so much, I will open my daycare in a month probably, thank you for your help
Old 01-10-2020, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia2 View Post
I have a question, how do I prove that I am up at 5:30 am doing curriculum, food preparation, daycare inspection, daycare cleaning, etc; do I have to take pictures of me doing that or how?, thank you so much, I will open my daycare in a month probably, thank you for your help
I use the KidKare program and record my hours weekly on Fridays. Click the accounting tab, then expenses, then time/space, then the tab "other hours". It is a little more complicated to figure out than the old program, but once you figure it out it flows pretty easily.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:36 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Thank you, I will check kidcare
Old 01-10-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Add this link to your book marked sites.
It is a huge resource for anything child care business related.

http://tomcopelandblog.com/
Old 01-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Time/space

I never thought about "proving" that we get up early to do things for daycare. Tax people have just always taken my written word. I use the Redleaf Press Calendar Keeper, because I am more a pencil and paper kind of book keeping person and it has all the best info needed printed ready to use.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:38 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default tracking hours

Quote:
Track two months worth of these hours on a calendar or on KidKare. Then use the average for these two months for the rest of the year.
Old 02-12-2020, 04:46 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Director hours

I was resently hired as a DC director. They want me to work 60+ hours at the center and take all paperwork home. Plus teach a class and do everything else. I'm looking at 70+ hours per week. No benefits or perks. Thinking of not accepting. Haven't started yet. Any advise?
Old 02-12-2020, 04:59 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Director hours

Add on:
Also... these hours on a very small salary.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoderT View Post
I was resently hired as a DC director. They want me to work 60+ hours at the center and take all paperwork home. Plus teach a class and do everything else. I'm looking at 70+ hours per week. No benefits or perks. Thinking of not accepting. Haven't started yet. Any advise?
That is pretty common. That is why many of us end up just opening our own. We already have all the certs, training and experience.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:27 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Director hours

In not sure how I'm supposed to be both Teacher and Director of a large DC. Plus, I didn't hire on as a teacher, this was all a surprise to me last week as if I was down with it. Also, zero breaks! We have 30+ students and enrolling more bit she only wants to hire 3 people...Lol
Ugh!
Old 02-13-2020, 06:36 PM
Business Author/Trainer

Default overtime hours

Quote:
A director is an exempt employee which means they are not required to pay you overtime pay. However, these are very long hours with no benefits. You should think twice about taking this job.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:18 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
That seems more like doing in-home childcare without the tax benefits, or the benefit of being your own boss. If the salary isn’t a good one, I wouldn’t take it. Depends on your circumstances though.

Tags
attendance hours, breakfast, hours of operation, kidkare, meal counts, morning snacks, poll, time space percentage, tom copeland