Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Ideas! Toddler Friendly Art/Photo Displays
SilverSabre25 06:59 AM 01-25-2013
I want to display artwork and photographs at the kids' level, in a method and place that is accessible to and easily viewable by them, but is friendly for toddlers. Not necessarily toddler proof or toddler resistant...but somehow that my toddler darlings aren't going to automatically rip everything down and triumphantly defeat the whole purpose.

Does such a thing exist, or am I sol?
Meyou 07:09 AM 01-25-2013
Two pieces of plexiglass mounted on the wall? You could slip them down inside.
jessrlee 07:11 AM 01-25-2013
http://www.communityplaythings.com/p...vers/F852.html

I would use this. It attaches to the back of a shelf
melilley 07:14 AM 01-25-2013
You are not sol! I first tape the pictures up at eye level. Then I put packaging tape on the perimeter of the pictures. The kids love that they can touch their work! This only works for art such as painting, chalk, etc. You could also reinforce the pics by covering them with contact paper first then tape them up how I said. A cute idea to go along with the artwork is to take a picture of the child while they are creating their masterpiece and put it up next to their creation. Quotes for those who can talk, even the toddlers who say one work or make a sound are cute to put up too. Sorry, I went a little off track.
P.S. though the packaging tape is a great idea, it may take paint off of the walls, depending on what kind of walls or paint you have.
melilley 07:15 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
http://www.communityplaythings.com/p...vers/F852.html

I would use this. It attaches to the back of a shelf
Neat idea, I have never seen those!
EAP 07:16 AM 01-25-2013
I have used scrap book page covers velcroed to the wall and display pockets but is limiting on the size of paper you can display. I need a better solution.
melilley 07:18 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Two pieces of plexiglass mounted on the wall? You could slip them down inside.
I like this idea too! How do you attach them to the wall? Can you drill through it? I know they make something similar that has a wood backing, but I can imagine they are super expensive!
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 01-25-2013
I don't have mine up anymore but my DH made a three sided frame that has plex-i-glass in it (similar to a full length wall mirror). You slip the art you want to display in it behind the plex-i-glass and it can't be ripped down or destroyed by little hands and wipes off easily!

It cost us less than $20 to make and it is similar to this:

melilley 07:40 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't have mine up anymore but my DH made a three sided frame that has plex-i-glass in it (similar to a full length wall mirror). You slip the art you want to display in it behind the plex-i-glass and it can't be ripped down or destroyed by little hands and wipes off easily!

Awesome, that's what I was talking about in one of the other posts! I didn't think of making one. I see my husband having a project in the near future...lol
kitykids3 07:51 AM 01-25-2013
After my previous post, this was what I was thinking about last night. I'll have to make about 4 or 5 of them. Other than the wooden canopy for the backyard, looks like I've got another project for this summer. :-)
My3cents 09:57 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If my memory is correct, your husband is quite handy and makes all kinds of things for you out of wood??? Would love to see pictures again BC of your daycare-
melilley 10:01 AM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by kitykids3:
After my previous post, this was what I was thinking about last night. I'll have to make about 4 or 5 of them. Other than the wooden canopy for the backyard, looks like I've got another project for this summer. :-)
Wooden canopy? Hmmmm another project for me?, errr my husband Sounds neat!
countrymom 10:23 AM 01-25-2013
I have a large tack board that is just high enough for the preschools to put picts up but the littles can't get it and above it I have a large sticker that says our our masterpieces. Tape works great on it too but I use tacks and its fine.
kitykids3 12:55 PM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Wooden canopy? Hmmmm another project for me?, errr my husband Sounds neat!
Yeah, having a husband would be helpful if I had one to do stuff, but I get a feeling of accomplishment when I do things around my house. On occasion, boyfriends will help though.
Crystal 05:08 PM 01-25-2013
I frame photos and drawing in real frames that I get from the dollar store and hang them at eye level of the preschoolers.

If you have shelf space at all, you can also use carboard or stock paper, fold it like an accordian so it will stand on a shelf, mount the photos and then you can also write about the photo on the other portions of the "accordion"

Old desk top calendars work well too.
Heidi 06:16 PM 01-26-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I have a large tack board that is just high enough for the preschools to put picts up but the littles can't get it and above it I have a large sticker that says our our masterpieces. Tape works great on it too but I use tacks and its fine.
Ever since I read about the dcb who died in Texas by injesting a tack, I can't bring myself to have them anywhere in the daycare.
DayCareDiva30 12:12 PM 01-28-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
Awesome, that's what I was talking about in one of the other posts! I didn't think of making one. I see my husband having a project in the near future...lol

I have been having the same problem with the little ones pulling the preschoolers pictures off the wall. I'm going to be going the FCC environmental rating scale this summer and have been looking for a way to display their work. I have to see if I can get my boyfriend to make me one of these.
SilverSabre25 12:20 PM 01-28-2013
Thank youuuuuu for all the awesome ideas!! I'm glad there are solutions out there. I have a lot of "dead" space in the hallways and this is going to be awesome. Now I just need the time, and a little bit of money, to implement some of these suggestions!
Reply Up