Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Titles
mamamanda 08:32 AM 02-16-2018
My children's grandma comes over & helps me one day each week. My dcks love her to pieces & she has a background check & everything. Our family refers to her as "Mimi" & that is her preference. The dcks call her that as well. However I have a parent who is very upset over this & wants his child to call her Miss so & so. He says it's a respect issue & he feels that it is wrong for me to allow my own children to call her Mimi as well. The appropriate respectful response would be "grandma."

I personally feel it is disrespectful to call someone a name they don't want. She has adamantly stated that she doesn't want to be miss so & so. She prefers Mimi. Also, I feel offended that another parent feels the right to tell me what my own children should call their grandparents in our own home.

I stated that I would address her as miss so & so when talking directly to the child, but not when addressing her to the group as a whole, but she was upset with that b/c she doesn't want to be called by that name at all. The dcd said if I don't address the issue he will start disciplining his child at home for referring to Mimi when at their house.

I'm at a loss here. I feel he needs to be okay with the title she prefers or find alternate care, but this child is related to me & has been with me since he was a newborn so my heart feels like it is being ripped out of me. Am I wrong in thinking he is the one being disrespectful? How do you handle titles in your daycare?
Tags:working with family
Up