Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Change at Pick Up
Lovisa 12:23 PM 04-11-2019
Lord help me.....my group is pretty well behaved UNTIL PARENTS SHOW UP. I have one kid who literally does every single thing she is not supposed to do as soon as she is getting picked up (run in the house, grab books off of the shelf that she rips so she doesn't get them, goes into the kitchen and tries to grab snacks, messes with the light switch, etc). And no matter how many times I ask her to stop, she won't. And mom won't discipline her either when she knows darn well her kid is acting out.

IT IRRITATES THE CRAP OUT OF ME!!!!
Meeko 01:48 PM 04-11-2019
Hold her hand and insist Mommy take her from you and holds tight too. Sounds like Mommy needs to be taught good manners too.
Mom2Two 02:07 PM 04-11-2019
Could you gate off your entryway and close the gate (with mom and kid on the inside) at pick up time?
Blackcat31 02:24 PM 04-11-2019
How old is the child?

I think it's time for Bye-Bye outside....
Lovisa 02:53 PM 04-11-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Hold her hand and insist Mommy take her from you and holds tight too. Sounds like Mommy needs to be taught good manners too.
I agree!

Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
Could you gate off your entryway and close the gate (with mom and kid on the inside) at pick up time?
My house is totally open. No way to gate anything off, unfortunately.

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How old is the child?

I think it's time for Bye-Bye outside....
She is 3. I LOVE this lol
knoxmomof2 07:04 AM 04-12-2019
This is so normal for them to try. I know it's hard to be an authority in front of the parents, but that's how you stop this. I was funny about it at first, but I had a holy terror once (my 3rd daycare child after I started). I just had enough one day! Once Mom arrived, he would start throwing toys, screaming, hitting, etc and I just grabbed his hand and said, "no sir, that is not how we behave at my house. It's time to go." He was kicking and screaming all the way to the door.. Haha... Mom just stood there calmly telling him "that's not nice..." 🙄 I opened the door, told her to have a nice evening and placed her son on the porch. They literally spent 15 minutes outside with him screaming, running around in the yard, clinging to the iron posts on my porch. I just let her deal with it. Every day after, I had him ready to go, grabbed his hand, met her at the door and said, "he's had a good day, see you tomorrow!" If she had questions, I would hand him over first and let her deal with him as I stood inside in peace.

He was a terror in so many ways, so it required more. For a typical child that is more manageable, I just tell them," okay, we're going to walk to the door. Hold my hand and remember--no screaming, no running, go straight to Mommy. Okay?" If they behave, I eventually stop doing it unless it starts again. If they still act up, I'll pick them up and hand them over or hold their hand and pass them over to Mom. If Mom then puts them down, let's them wander again, I pick them up, say" no, ma'am. You're not behaving right now, go back to Mom. " and from them on, I keep it short with,"she had a good day. I'll see you tomorrow!" Just depends on the child, the parents and your home's setup.
hwichlaz 09:28 AM 04-12-2019
It's okay to MAKE her stop physically by holding on to her.
Lovisa 10:06 AM 04-12-2019
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
It's okay to MAKE her stop physically by holding on to her.
I do this. Daily. Because mom won't. I just wish mom would correct her own daughter so I don't have to once mom is here.
Tags:changing of the guard, pick up behavior
Reply Up