Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Help With Reply To Prospective Client
makap 08:31 AM 02-16-2013
I am looking for help with wording an email to a prospective family.

My hours each day are 6 am to 4 pm and I do not usually do part time care at all. I might consider doing so if it was a minimum of 3 days a week. I've changed my hours and am planning on cutting back over the next 3-4 years as I am planning on retiring at that time. Right now all of my spaces are full however I will have space in September.

The lady had emailed me a few days ago in response to an ad that I had posted for a full-time slot which I already filled a few days ago.
She wanted information so I sent her my website.

This is her 2nd reply.

"Thank you for access to your website - so lovely and informative. Your special love for children just shines through. It is great to see such love and devotion in your caregiving.
I am not yet sure if I will be working a full five days a week in the Fall but will know more closer to that time.
My working hours are 830 to 430 but it may be possible to adjust the end of my day to 400 to be able to pick the children up shortly after.
We would be considering 2-3 days a week if possible, depending on your availability and charges per child.
Our children would go to either grandmother the other days of the week; however, we are looking for care outside the family to further benefit their growth and social skills of course.
Also, do you happen to speak French? It certainly is not necessary but my husband and in laws speak French so the children are hearing both (and me too of course!).
Thank you again and want you to know I completely understand if it would be difficult for part-time arrangements. Whatever works best for you is fine."

I was thinking of replying with something like this.

I will have available space in September however 3 days a week is the minimum I would be willing to provide for part time care. (M-W-F)
Children need to get into a routine and I have found that anything less than this makes it too difficult for a child to transition to our schedule and routines.
Also too many changes in environment makes it very difficult for children to adjust to so many different changes in the way things are done at each place.
They will have 4 different places where they will be during the week and so many different caregivers that I think it will be very confusing for them.
Also I do close at 4 pm each day which means children must be picked up no later than 4 pm so I am not sure if the hours would work. I do not speak french.

If you would like, we can set up an interview for you and the children so that we can meet to see if this would be a good fit. We can go over rates and I can answer any other questions you may have at that time.

What do you all think? Does this sound okay? If not what would you change? Please offer suggestions.

Thanks!
Loveyoustinkyface 08:49 AM 02-16-2013
I personally would not set up an interview for possible DCC's unless they are willing to start sooner. 7 months is sooo far away. Lots of changes can happen in that time.
butterfly 10:38 AM 02-16-2013
Does this potential client know that you don't have an opening until Sept?

I think your response is fine, but I would leave out your opinion about having too many care givers during the week. (They will have 4 different places where they will be during the week and so many different caregivers that I think it will be very confusing for them.)

Good luck!
makap 10:56 AM 02-16-2013
She is not needing care until the fall. In her first email she said that she understood that the space I had posted for was full-time and asked if I had a waiting list and if I would do part time.

I was planning on interviewing her and if she is still interested in me caring for her children after meeting me, and if I am confident that it would be a good fit, then she can be placed on a waiting list for when space becomes available in September. Someone else who is a better fit may come around between now and September but if I have a few families to choose from that would be okay by me!

However I just wanted her to know a few things before the interview. Mainly that I close at 4 sharp and I will not do any less than 3 days per week.

I just wanted to make sure it sounded okay.

Thanks
Starburst 11:35 AM 02-16-2013
If the part time thing is a money issue- why don't you just charge more (about $10-$15) per day for part-time enrollment, but that full-time enrollment is first priority; thats what most of the other providers on here do. If you have a preschool part of the program and she wants him enrolled in that or he is in the age group that will be tought preschool, then you could tell her preschool is a flat rate and that parents need to commit to bringing their child full-time during instruction time/days (except when sick).

If the issue is that you think the child won't adjust well if they are only there part time then you can tell her that is one of your concerns and why you would prefer to take full-time. But do remember that most families don't want to take there kids to daycare (or away from their familie's/close friend's care) more then they need to because it usually is in the best intrest of the child they have as much time as possible with their families, thats why most providers here say they don't want to provide care more hours then necessary if the parent is not working or at school. Though there are still benifits to them having that social interaction and school preperation in daycare.
cheerfuldom 12:25 PM 02-16-2013
I think your response is way too wordy, as if you have to justify your policies, which you do not have to do.

"I do provide part time care but require that children are enrolled for at least 3 days per week. My closing time is 4pm which means children must be picked up by 4pm each day. I do not speak French. If you feel that my program could still fit your needs, let me know and I would be happy to interview your family. Thank you for your interest in my daycare"
momofboys 05:13 PM 02-16-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I think your response is way too wordy, as if you have to justify your policies, which you do not have to do.

"I do provide part time care but require that children are enrolled for at least 3 days per week. My closing time is 4pm which means children must be picked up by 4pm each day. I do not speak French. If you feel that my program could still fit your needs, let me know and I would be happy to interview your family. Thank you for your interest in my daycare"

Blackcat31 05:46 PM 02-16-2013
I'd reply back with something like this:

"For families that do not require a full time space, I offer a part time M-W-F option. The set 3 days per week is to ensure consistency and routine for not only your children but all children in my program.

I appreciate your willingness to rearrange your work times to fit my hours but please note that my closing time is 4:00 P.M. in which all children need to be picked up by or before that time. Your interest in teaching your children French is admirable, however I do not speak the language.

If you are still interested in my program and can make the hours and days work for you, please let me know and I would be happy to set up an interview time with you."

momofboys 05:52 PM 02-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd reply back with something like this:

"For families that do not require a full time space, I offer a part time M-W-F option. The set 3 days per week is to ensure consistency and routine for not only your children but all children in my program.

I appreciate your willingness to rearrange your work times to fit my hours but please note that my closing time is 4:00 P.M. in which all children need to be picked up by or before that time. Your interest in teaching your children French is admirable, however I do not speak the language.

If you are still interested in my program and can make the hours and days work for you, please let me know and I would be happy to set up an interview time with you."
That sounds great too!
makap 07:26 AM 02-17-2013
Thank you all so much for helping me with this.

The part time thing is not a money issue at all for me. I am just not willing to have children who cry everyday at nap time or can not adjust to rules and routines because they are not here often enough.

The family just sounds great and from the way her first email sounded I knew that I would love the chance to interview her for a position.

I wanted however to make sure that my expectations were clear before wasting our time with an interview. I am just not so great with wording things at times.

Cheerful & Blackcat I love these replies!
Reply Up