Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Outside Visitors And Therapy
thetoddlerwhisper 10:30 AM 01-16-2014
i have a early intervention therapist who comes in on thursdays to work with asd dcb and dcg. shes therapist for both so it just make sense that shes here for 2 hours and does both while shes here. today was her first time in the room with whole class as a whole and it was chaos. the ones she isnt here for were all over her and she couldnt get anything done. she has to see them interacting with the others so i feel like i need to find a way she can observe and work without them being wild kids. theyre all 2yr olds and i swear i told some of them a bazillion times to keep their hands to themselves. any ideas on more classroom control while shes here or do you think it will get better after time? and whaat about the end of the session when she does goal reviews with me? we are in a center so i could have someone come in while i review with her but it isnt always plausible esp when we are short-staffed or school kids are here!
Cat Herder 10:40 AM 01-16-2014
I don't let the IE people in with other kids in care.

If they need to see interaction with other kids, they can do it on the parents time at a public park or library.

It is important for parents to interact with these professionals regularly, in their own environments, as they will be with their own child for life.

I have had many hours of training already on how to incorporate their child into my environment.

I support their over-all goal, but I will not host their paychecks at my cost. They often set up their own playrooms and pay for their own supplies, the parents can go there as easy as having the IE professional come into my private home.

Edit: In a center, I have no idea how to make it work. Again, it should be the parent hearing the goals/plans, not the childcare provider. Too frustrating.
melilley 10:41 AM 01-16-2014
For part of the time, could you get out a group activity? Like sensory, art, or something like that? That way their attention is on the activity and not the lady. I know 2's do not have a long attention span, but it will help for a while.

As for they lady doing the goal reviews with you, if you can't get anyone to come in for you, I would just tell her that she either has to write them down and if you have any questions you will call her. It's hard to take care of a 2's classroom, plus try to listen to another adult, while the kids are running around!
melilley 10:42 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:

If they need to see interaction with other kids, they can do it on the parents time at a public park or library.
Good point!
thetoddlerwhisper 10:48 AM 01-16-2014
I don't let the IE people in with other kids in care.

It is important for parents to interact with these professionals regularly, in their own environments, as they will be with their own child for life.

I have had many hours of training already on how to incorporate their child into my environment.

I support their over-all goal, but I will not host their paychecks at my cost. They often set up their own playrooms and pay for their own supplies, the parents can go there.
i wish i had that option but since the director ok'd it im stuck with it
thetoddlerwhisper 10:50 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
For part of the time, could you get out a group activity? Like sensory, art, or something like that? That way their attention is on the activity and not the lady. I know 2's do not have a long attention span, but it will help for a while.

As for they lady doing the goal reviews with you, if you can't get anyone to come in for you, I would just tell her that she either has to write them down and if you have any questions you will call her. It's hard to take care of a 2's classroom, plus try to listen to another adult, while the kids are running around!
its very possible i think. i might switch our sensory play to thursday mornings!
Annalee 10:58 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by athacker:
i have a early intervention therapist who comes in on thursdays to work with asd dcb and dcg. shes therapist for both so it just make sense that shes here for 2 hours and does both while shes here. today was her first time in the room with whole class as a whole and it was chaos. the ones she isnt here for were all over her and she couldnt get anything done. she has to see them interacting with the others so i feel like i need to find a way she can observe and work without them being wild kids. theyre all 2yr olds and i swear i told some of them a bazillion times to keep their hands to themselves. any ideas on more classroom control while shes here or do you think it will get better after time? and whaat about the end of the session when she does goal reviews with me? we are in a center so i could have someone come in while i review with her but it isnt always plausible esp when we are short-staffed or school kids are here!
When I had the autistic child, an OT wanted to come 2 mornings a wk indefinitely per the parents request. My problem with this was the child only came three days a week. The OT lady offered to do it the other days at the parents home, but the mom didn't want to upset the dad because he struggled with his child having autism....Needless to say, this was not becoming my problem, so the child received the OT at home. I did allow the OT initial visit and actually set it up....I know I sound heartless sometimes, but again, I believe in accountability/responsibility. The mom was a teacher and she KNEW what OT in a mixed age setting would be like for her child!!!!!! I am there to help but I AM NOT there to take responsibility from the parent! This is their child....I am sure this child sensed his dad had trouble accepting his autism. Again, we become counselors and I think today all is OK with this fam....They have transitioned out of my care to big school so not sure about that.
Annalee 11:08 AM 01-16-2014
I

I support their over-all goal, but I will not host their paychecks at my cost. They often set up their own playrooms and pay for their own supplies, the parents can go there as easy as having the IE professional come into my private home.

Edit: In a center, I have no idea how to make it work. Again, it should be the parent hearing the goals/plans, not the childcare provider. Too frustrating.
I agree with what you are saying, but I had to watch my wording when dealing with my situation posted earlier because licensing said there are laws regarding how a child MUST receive certain services. She and her supervisor understood where I was coming from but helped me in my wording. She knows it is becoming rediculous how parents do not take care of their own children nor work to provide appropriate services.
thetoddlerwhisper 11:11 AM 01-16-2014

i dont mind having the written goals in my files because it following directions, eating with silverware not fingers. working with him on making eye contact when were playing together etc. but i do wonder if theyre even telling mom of this...
NeedaVaca 11:20 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I agree with what you are saying, but I had to watch my wording when dealing with my situation posted earlier because licensing said there are laws regarding how a child MUST receive certain services. She and her supervisor understood where I was coming from but helped me in my wording. She knows it is becoming rediculous how parents do not take care of their own children nor work to provide appropriate services.
In my state there are now rules for parents when the child is getting early intervention (State birth-3 program). They MUST be present for a certain number of therapy sessions or they will no longer receive services! This is because the parents need to be involved and learn how to do these things at home and continue working with the child between therapy sessions.
Annalee 11:21 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
In my state there are now rules for parents when the child is getting early intervention (State birth-3 program). They MUST be present for a certain number of therapy sessions or they will no longer receive services! This is because the parents need to be involved and learn how to do these things at home and continue working with the child between therapy sessions.

Cat Herder 11:22 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
I know I sound heartless sometimes, but again, I believe in accountability/responsibility.
I don't think you sound heartless. It sounds like experience to me.

I used to let them in, set up their area and even filled their supply lists at my cost (triangular crayons, double scissors, dry erase markers/boards, etc) thinking it was somehow my responsibility or I'd risk my business to the State.

DCK would start crying as soon as they pulled up in the driveway and beg me not to make him "play" with them. It was exhausting for him and he usually slept the rest of the afternoon on therapy days.

**When the last therapist needed different hours to make her caseload she required the parents to allow her to come to their home after hours, they dropped therapy instead.

It turned out the parents never even met the therapists, thought it would be fun for DCK to have "special visitors" and they had never owned even a minuscule part of the costs, goals or effort. Who really benefited? If anything we went backwards, IMHO....

There needs to be a way to make it work, we just have not found it yet, here.
Cat Herder 11:25 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I would get back on board with this plan.
Annalee 11:28 AM 01-16-2014
Originally Posted by cat herder:
i would get back on board with this plan. Lovethis
amen!!!
itlw8 03:06 PM 01-16-2014
The children will get used to her coming . Today it was new so they were excited . It you do not have many visitors it may take longer. Pull out a favorite activity they do with out much help/ Play dough is mine. Have the therapist write down goals and ideas for the parents.
thetoddlerwhisper 11:22 AM 01-17-2014
Originally Posted by itlw8:
The children will get used to her coming . Today it was new so they were excited . It you do not have many visitors it may take longer. Pull out a favorite activity they do with out much help/ Play dough is mine. Have the therapist write down goals and ideas for the parents.
we just discovered mixing playdough and playdough toys last week so im going to pull that out when she is here thursday and make some long term activites for when she is here. that might get my fine motor/sensory points finally to them.
Reply Up