Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"I Got Dots, They Itch"
KDC 11:01 AM 01-22-2014
So, I have a DCB-4 who says "I got dots on my tummy from my cousin, and they itch and hurt". DCB used to be full-time, but DCM is on Maternity leave and I require at least 2 days a week to be 'active', so he's currently 2 days a week. Because of MLK day, I haven't seen him in a week.

There's about 15 spots on his tummy and they don't look that icky, more like an allergic reaction to something. However, he's saying he got them from his cousin, should I question Mom? Is this something I should text Mom about? They're really good about keeping anything contagious away from the daycare, but I'm curious why nothing was said? I have no idea what it is? These rash things are new to me. I really REALLY do not need another illness in the daycare. We've had a lot of colds, and hand foot mouth went around the entire daycare about 2 months ago.

WWYD?
thetoddlerwhisper 11:03 AM 01-22-2014
i would contact mom.
theyre dots and they itch even if its just reaction or execma(sp?) i want to know what it is so it doesnt spread. a dr note would be required
melilley 11:04 AM 01-22-2014
I would call mom and have her pick up and see a Dr. Especially since obviously someone else had them and now he has them and they are itchy and I assume not going away.
cheerfuldom 11:09 AM 01-22-2014
I would send home. I don't take care of children with rashes. I would require a doctors note and treatment plan before allowing him to return. The only exception would be a treatable diaper rash. I will even send home for really bad diaper rashes that could be yeast or other issues. You can't just send your kid into a group care arrangement and not tell the provider what is going on and address the issue. sheesh. it just baffles me that parents do this kind of thing all the time.
KDC 11:42 AM 01-22-2014
Mom texted back and said they've been to the Dr. for it, and it was viral but he was ok to come back to daycare. She said it slipped her mind to remind her hubby to tell me. She offered to have the Dr. write something, but I know they wouldn't send their child with anything knowingly contagious, they're just not that family. But since he was showing all the daycare kids, I at least know what to tell the parents if they ask.
SilverSabre25 01:37 PM 01-22-2014
Viral, eh?

Chicken pox is a virus Doesn't make it non contagious. WTH is with doctors thinking viruses are not contagious?! Flu is a virus too...
e.j. 03:38 PM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Viral, eh?

Chicken pox is a virus Doesn't make it non contagious. WTH is with doctors thinking viruses are not contagious?! Flu is a virus too...
According to what was written, dr never said it wasn't contagious; he just said it was viral. I wonder if dcm is just assuming her child isn't contagious because the dr didn't use the specific word "contagious". As far as clearing the boy for child care, the dr. isn't so much concerned about the other kids in day care. His concern is whether his patient is well enough to go back to day care. Big difference! If he were in my dcb, I'd be sending him home and asking for that dr's note (stating he's not contagious) before allowing him back.
SilverSabre25 05:06 PM 01-22-2014
Originally Posted by e.j.:
According to what was written, dr never said it wasn't contagious; he just said it was viral. I wonder if dcm is just assuming her child isn't contagious because the dr didn't use the specific word "contagious". As far as clearing the boy for child care, the dr. isn't so much concerned about the other kids in day care. His concern is whether his patient is well enough to go back to day care. Big difference! If he were in my dcb, I'd be sending him home and asking for that dr's note (stating he's not contagious) before allowing him back.
Fair point.

it's still ridiculous....any doctor worth his salt really ought to be aware of exclusion rules for school/child care. Or at least...aware that he ought to tell the parents to check with the school/child care.
Angelsj 05:23 PM 01-22-2014
Viral, eh?

I don't think that is doctors. A doctor thinks, viral, no antibiotics are going to help here. Or viral, exposure time often happens prior to symptoms. PARENTS think, no antibiotics, so it is not contagious..
Unregistered 06:17 PM 01-22-2014
The part where he says he got it from his cousin stands out to me. Contagious perhaps?
e.j. 08:14 PM 01-22-2014
Fair point.

it's still ridiculous....any doctor worth his salt really ought to be aware of exclusion rules for school/child care. Or at least...aware that he ought to tell the parents to check with the school/child care.
Oh, I totally agree with you. I was thinking the same thing about chicken pox and the flu being "viral" and "contagious". It'd be great if doctors would tell parents to keep their contagious kids home from school or day care; it might make our lives a little easier. My guess is, they either don't want to get involved with that end of things or they just don't think about it. Can you imagine the flack doctors would get from parents when they tell them the child is too sick to attend day care? Oh yeah.....it would be the same flack we get when we tell parents the child is too sick to attend day care! Who wants to deal with that if they don't have to?
Blackcat31 07:26 AM 01-23-2014
Also because it is viral, there is NO real way to figure out where exactly it came from and even if he were STILL contagious, a doctor may still say it's okay for him to be in daycare because it is viral and ALL the kids could have already been exposed, been the ones to expose and have already been in close contact with them anyways....kwim?

I have a DCF that has a particular doctor that ALWAYS says the child is contagious but CAN still return to care. When I questioned the family and asked them to question their doctor, they said the doctor told them that viral illnesses are EVERYTWHERE so there really is NO point to excluding someone.

NOT something I definitely agree with 100% but I do see the logic...however, MY policies override the doctor's "permission" to attend or exclude.
KDC 09:11 AM 01-23-2014
Yea, I'm a little worried. I haven't been burned by anything like this before, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Some of these rashes for certain things take weeks to go away. He had about 15 spots on his belly, and they had scabbed over and were not "icky". He has been vaccinated for chicken pox.

For those that would exclude, when would you feel comfortable letting them come back? As a Parent, I would be miffed if the Dr. gave the ok, and my daycare provider said no. I'd put up with it if it were for a few days, especially if the sores were open and icky, or behavior was off. BUT, if it were scabbed over, and healing and provider required time off for more that a few days, which these spots would take time to heal and go completely away, I wouldn't be happy at all. I would probably take my kid somewhere else. I require payment if absent due to sickness, so I wouldn't be happy with my provider if all the sudden I was out care for a couple weeks. Where do you draw the line?

With that said, this parent is on maternity leave and DCB's only coming 2 days a week. If she felt AT all like he was contagious, I know she would for a fact keep him home. She would NOT knowingly expose anyone to some icky virus. I've had parents that wouldn't care, but she has a daycare background and I don't think she'd do that.
Blackcat31 09:15 AM 01-23-2014
I would exclude for ANY unexplained rash.
Child can return when rash goes away.

Saying it must be something viral is NOT an explained rash. It is just a catch-all for "I have no idea what it is".

So, yes I would exclude until rash is gone....especially if it is still itchy and/or weeping or looking redish
TaylorTots 10:06 AM 01-23-2014
I would exclude and allow back when they were scabbed over and drying up, not weeping WITH a doctor's note he is not contagious. No exception.
Reply Up