Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-08-2013, 10:45 AM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default Used My Backbone This Morning

I exercised my backbone this morning and I didn't feel guilty this time .

Quick Back-story:
Family asks me if I could accommodate a PT child that would come only every other Friday and Monday and I agreed.
Family needed early drop off of 6:30am (30 minutes before I opened) and I agreed for an extra fee because I wake up my DD at that time anyway.
I set my alarm for 10 minutes before they are scheduled to arrive (enough time for me to get ready)
Two months later and DCM starts to drop off at 6:25am then after 3 times shows up at 6:20 twice. Each time I mention that I was in the middle of getting ready, she apologizes each time but still shows up early.
I talk to her about showing up early without notice after the second 6:20am drop-off, mention that she can't do that without asking, ask her of she needs an earlier drop-off time and she says yes.
Signs a new contract with a 6:20 drop off time and earlier pick up time on February 25th (last day her child was scheduled)

Fast forward to this morning (her child's next day of attendance since the last time he was here):

-knock knock knock. I wake up and reach for my phone to check the time, phone is dead I forgot to charge it last night. Oh crap, my alarm didn't go off (my phone is my alarm). I jump out of bed dressed in my DH white t-shirt and taran-tarans - knock knock knock - I rush down the hall and down the stairs - knock knock knock - I feel horrible and panicked. I've only ever slept in once in the whole time that Ive been doing daycare and the other time was with this same DCM . I reach the front door and quickly glance at the clock ...

It's 6:05 in the morning .

I take a deep breath and decide to open the door. There I am in all my glory wearing nothing but an over-sized t-shirt, hair looking like a hot mess, barefoot and now angry. Mom gives me this look .
ME - "I wasn't expecting you for another 15 minutes. I was sleeping. My alarm isn't set to go off for another 5 minutes." Blank stare.
DCM - "Um yeah, I know I'm a little early."
ME - "Didn't we just over this the last time you were here?"
DCM - "Yeah ... um ... sorry" Stares at me. A couple of seconds of silence while I just stare back.
ME: "You can either wait until 6:20 or pay the early drop off penalty fee." A couple of seconds more of silence, both still just staring at each other.
DCM: "I'll pay the fee"
ME - "Do you have it now?" Two seconds of silence.
DCM - "Yes"
I move out of the doorway and let her in, she sets DCK on couch and pulls out cash and hands it to me and without another word she walks out uncomfortably. She looked like a chastised child. I only spoke to her in short clipped sentences so I guess sometimes less is more. I think she got the point .

Now I just have to figure out whether or not I want to hand her a termination letter or not .

I know, not really a point to this story but I just wanted to share with those that I know would understand .
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 AM
mom2many's Avatar
mom2many mom2many is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,211
Default

TGIF!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

She's LUCKY you even open the door. I ignore, ignore, ignore anyone who comes early. They only do it once or twice and it never happens again since all they end up doing is waiting on my porch bored to tears.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 AM
snbauser's Avatar
snbauser snbauser is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,385
Default

Good for you. It is sad that in so many cases when we try to be understanding and accomodating we get taken advantage of. And then so many people wonder why we don't want to accomodate changes.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:26 AM
Texasjeepgirl's Avatar
Texasjeepgirl Texasjeepgirl is offline
Director Licensed Care
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 304
Default

I love it...
EXCELLENT job with the BACKBONE
and..
Reminds me how happy I am that I have a chain link fence and double wide gate that is locked each night with a padlock..
I don't unlock the gate till about 2 minutes before opening time...
so I don't have to worry about someone knock knock knocking too early...
__________________
~ t ~
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:35 AM
HomeMADE's Avatar
HomeMADE HomeMADE is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Thompson Station TN
Posts: 79
Default

Wow!!! I hope she gets the point.
__________________
HomeMADE
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
I exercised my backbone this morning and I didn't feel guilty this time .

Quick Back-story:
Family asks me if I could accommodate a PT child that would come only every other Friday and Monday and I agreed.
Family needed early drop off of 6:30am (30 minutes before I opened) and I agreed for an extra fee because I wake up my DD at that time anyway.
I set my alarm for 10 minutes before they are scheduled to arrive (enough time for me to get ready)
Two months later and DCM starts to drop off at 6:25am then after 3 times shows up at 6:20 twice. Each time I mention that I was in the middle of getting ready, she apologizes each time but still shows up early.
I talk to her about showing up early without notice after the second 6:20am drop-off, mention that she can't do that without asking, ask her of she needs an earlier drop-off time and she says yes.
Signs a new contract with a 6:20 drop off time and earlier pick up time on February 25th (last day her child was scheduled)

Fast forward to this morning (her child's next day of attendance since the last time he was here):

-knock knock knock. I wake up and reach for my phone to check the time, phone is dead I forgot to charge it last night. Oh crap, my alarm didn't go off (my phone is my alarm). I jump out of bed dressed in my DH white t-shirt and taran-tarans - knock knock knock - I rush down the hall and down the stairs - knock knock knock - I feel horrible and panicked. I've only ever slept in once in the whole time that Ive been doing daycare and the other time was with this same DCM . I reach the front door and quickly glance at the clock ...

It's 6:05 in the morning .

I take a deep breath and decide to open the door. There I am in all my glory wearing nothing but an over-sized t-shirt, hair looking like a hot mess, barefoot and now angry. Mom gives me this look .
ME - "I wasn't expecting you for another 15 minutes. I was sleeping. My alarm isn't set to go off for another 5 minutes." Blank stare.
DCM - "Um yeah, I know I'm a little early."
ME - "Didn't we just over this the last time you were here?"
DCM - "Yeah ... um ... sorry" Stares at me. A couple of seconds of silence while I just stare back.
ME: "You can either wait until 6:20 or pay the early drop off penalty fee." A couple of seconds more of silence, both still just staring at each other.
DCM: "I'll pay the fee"
ME - "Do you have it now?" Two seconds of silence.
DCM - "Yes"
I move out of the doorway and let her in, she sets DCK on couch and pulls out cash and hands it to me and without another word she walks out uncomfortably. She looked like a chastised child. I only spoke to her in short clipped sentences so I guess sometimes less is more. I think she got the point .

Now I just have to figure out whether or not I want to hand her a termination letter or not .

I know, not really a point to this story but I just wanted to share with those that I know would understand .
Good for you! I would be sure to remind her that in the future you will not be answering the door before your agreed upon drop-off time. And then stick with it!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:44 AM
My3cents's Avatar
My3cents My3cents is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,842
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
I exercised my backbone this morning and I didn't feel guilty this time .

Quick Back-story:
Family asks me if I could accommodate a PT child that would come only every other Friday and Monday and I agreed.
Family needed early drop off of 6:30am (30 minutes before I opened) and I agreed for an extra fee because I wake up my DD at that time anyway.
I set my alarm for 10 minutes before they are scheduled to arrive (enough time for me to get ready)
Two months later and DCM starts to drop off at 6:25am then after 3 times shows up at 6:20 twice. Each time I mention that I was in the middle of getting ready, she apologizes each time but still shows up early.
I talk to her about showing up early without notice after the second 6:20am drop-off, mention that she can't do that without asking, ask her of she needs an earlier drop-off time and she says yes.
Signs a new contract with a 6:20 drop off time and earlier pick up time on February 25th (last day her child was scheduled)

Fast forward to this morning (her child's next day of attendance since the last time he was here):

-knock knock knock. I wake up and reach for my phone to check the time, phone is dead I forgot to charge it last night. Oh crap, my alarm didn't go off (my phone is my alarm). I jump out of bed dressed in my DH white t-shirt and taran-tarans - knock knock knock - I rush down the hall and down the stairs - knock knock knock - I feel horrible and panicked. I've only ever slept in once in the whole time that Ive been doing daycare and the other time was with this same DCM . I reach the front door and quickly glance at the clock ...

It's 6:05 in the morning .

I take a deep breath and decide to open the door. There I am in all my glory wearing nothing but an over-sized t-shirt, hair looking like a hot mess, barefoot and now angry. Mom gives me this look .
ME - "I wasn't expecting you for another 15 minutes. I was sleeping. My alarm isn't set to go off for another 5 minutes." Blank stare.
DCM - "Um yeah, I know I'm a little early."
ME - "Didn't we just over this the last time you were here?"
DCM - "Yeah ... um ... sorry" Stares at me. A couple of seconds of silence while I just stare back.
ME: "You can either wait until 6:20 or pay the early drop off penalty fee." A couple of seconds more of silence, both still just staring at each other.
DCM: "I'll pay the fee"
ME - "Do you have it now?" Two seconds of silence.
DCM - "Yes"
I move out of the doorway and let her in, she sets DCK on couch and pulls out cash and hands it to me and without another word she walks out uncomfortably. She looked like a chastised child. I only spoke to her in short clipped sentences so I guess sometimes less is more. I think she got the point .

Now I just have to figure out whether or not I want to hand her a termination letter or not .

I know, not really a point to this story but I just wanted to share with those that I know would understand .
IF the drop off fee is good, very high and very good. Consider just waking up and taking it every time!!! As long as you can handle opening that early.
I would be blunt and tell her that early drop off is discussed in advance and you don't want it to happen again. It was awkward for both of you and if you wanted early hours you would have set your hours to be at that time. I would give her one last harsh warning. Then next time ask her to leave- I am mad for you!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:48 AM
butterfly's Avatar
butterfly butterfly is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,630
Default

Thank for the inspiration! I've very proud of you!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-08-2013, 11:50 AM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

Good job!

I wouldn't have been so nice though. I would have made her wait.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:03 PM
CedarCreek's Avatar
CedarCreek CedarCreek is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,529
Default

That had happened to me twice! Only I've just let them in and stared at them menacingly..

I should have charged them a fee like you did! Great job!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:24 PM
TheGoodLife's Avatar
TheGoodLife TheGoodLife is offline
Home Daycare Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,368
Default

I hope you have a good early drop off fee- just curious what yours is. What a way to start your Friday!!!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 PM
just_peachy's Avatar
just_peachy just_peachy is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 180
Default

Wow she sounds totally clueless! I guess if you give an inch...

Totally unrelated, but I think it's amazing you can be ready in 10 minutes! I can dress and do my face that fast, but I need a solid 30 minutes AT LEAST to wake up enough to handle kids. I love sleep but I'm completely useless without veg time in the morning. (Don't you drink coffee?!?)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:32 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2many View Post
TGIF!!!!
OMG, you're telling me . At least 2 of my DCKs are out today so it's been a nice slow day so far. Kind of makes up for being scared the crap out of in the AM because I thought I was running late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist View Post
She's LUCKY you even open the door. I ignore, ignore, ignore anyone who comes early. They only do it once or twice and it never happens again since all they end up doing is waiting on my porch bored to tears.
Yes, she was lucky but at that point I wanted to express my distaste for her showing up early so bad that I wanted to open the door at that exact moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbauser View Post
Good for you. It is sad that in so many cases when we try to be understanding and accomodating we get taken advantage of. And then so many people wonder why we don't want to accomodate changes.
Tell me about it. I had already accommodated her earlier drop off and then literally the last time that DCK came I changed her contract to accommodate the 10 minute earlier drop-off time. I HAD LITERALLY JUST TALKED TO HER ABOUT DROPPING OFF EARLY!!! What the heck?!?! I wasn't okay with dropping off 10 minutes early, what makes you think that dropping off early 15 minutes more after I just extended your drop-off time by 10 minutes?!?! That means dropping off 55 minutes before my official opening time, PLUS my first client doesn't arrive until 7:30am .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasjeepgirl View Post
I love it...
EXCELLENT job with the BACKBONE
and..
Reminds me how happy I am that I have a chain link fence and double wide gate that is locked each night with a padlock..
I don't unlock the gate till about 2 minutes before opening time...
so I don't have to worry about someone knock knock knocking too early...
My next home will have a fenced in yard, barbed wire and a moat with sharks with frickin lasers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3cents View Post
IF the drop off fee is good, very high and very good. Consider just waking up and taking it every time!!! As long as you can handle opening that early.
I would be blunt and tell her that early drop off is discussed in advance and you don't want it to happen again. It was awkward for both of you and if you wanted early hours you would have set your hours to be at that time. I would give her one last harsh warning. Then next time ask her to leave- I am mad for you!
I charged her $1 a minute so I made $15 on top of the $40 a day that she paid for today. If she wouldn't have wanted to pay it then she would have sat outside for those extra 15 minutes. I'm still debating on whether to just let her go now or wait and see how it goes next Monday. She already KNOWS I don't appreciate early drop offs without notice. That's why I had her sign the new contract duh. he dumb part is that she obviously had somewhere to be because she hesitated for a bit when I gave her the choice to pay or wait. I don't think she wanted to pay the fee because she seemed reluctant so she probably had to be at work early today and knew it. Why not just call me yesterday and ask to drop off earlier? It would have saved her the $.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Heeey. I want sharks with lasers, too.

How early are you willing to accommodate her? It seems like her drop offs just get earlier, and earlier, and earlier, and earlier.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:53 PM
My3cents's Avatar
My3cents My3cents is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,842
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
OMG, you're telling me . At least 2 of my DCKs are out today so it's been a nice slow day so far. Kind of makes up for being scared the crap out of in the AM because I thought I was running late.



Yes, she was lucky but at that point I wanted to express my distaste for her showing up early so bad that I wanted to open the door at that exact moment.



Tell me about it. I had already accommodated her earlier drop off and then literally the last time that DCK came I changed her contract to accommodate the 10 minute earlier drop-off time. I HAD LITERALLY JUST TALKED TO HER ABOUT DROPPING OFF EARLY!!! What the heck?!?! I wasn't okay with dropping off 10 minutes early, what makes you think that dropping off early 15 minutes more after I just extended your drop-off time by 10 minutes?!?! That means dropping off 55 minutes before my official opening time, PLUS my first client doesn't arrive until 7:30am .



My next home will have a fenced in yard, barbed wire and a moat with sharks with frickin lasers.



I charged her $1 a minute so I made $15 on top of the $40 a day that she paid for today. If she wouldn't have wanted to pay it then she would have sat outside for those extra 15 minutes. I'm still debating on whether to just let her go now or wait and see how it goes next Monday. She already KNOWS I don't appreciate early drop offs without notice. That's why I had her sign the new contract duh. he dumb part is that she obviously had somewhere to be because she hesitated for a bit when I gave her the choice to pay or wait. I don't think she wanted to pay the fee because she seemed reluctant so she probably had to be at work early today and knew it. Why not just call me yesterday and ask to drop off earlier? It would have saved her the $.
I would remind her at pick up time. Please give me advanced notice if your going to need an early drop off and I will see if I can accommodate. Then if she says yes you can either go into is this going to be a service you need every day? Wow.

Some people on the boards stand out more then others and I notice that you go above and beyond to help your clients and be fair. It stinks when your treated with no respect and you see other "co-workers" deal with this. and hope you enjoy that $$$ Thanks for being an inspiration for backbones across all daycares- Being in sleep mode I don't know as if I would have handled this as well. I probably would have scared her......lol I am a tosser and a turner and I look like some frazzled mess till I shower up and am ready for the day.

My baby just farted so loud that if I had anyone else here with me they would have insisted it was me that did it. Nothing that small should be able to be that powerful.........wow I am lucky he didn't wake everyone else up.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM
TheGoodLife's Avatar
TheGoodLife TheGoodLife is offline
Home Daycare Provider
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
I charged her $1 a minute so I made $15 on top of the $40 a day that she paid for today. If she wouldn't have wanted to pay it then she would have sat outside for those extra 15 minutes. I'm still debating on whether to just let her go now or wait and see how it goes next Monday. She already KNOWS I don't appreciate early drop offs without notice. That's why I had her sign the new contract duh. he dumb part is that she obviously had somewhere to be because she hesitated for a bit when I gave her the choice to pay or wait. I don't think she wanted to pay the fee because she seemed reluctant so she probably had to be at work early today and knew it. Why not just call me yesterday and ask to drop off earlier? It would have saved her the $.
I sure hope you don't ever allow any early drop-offs for her without pay, EVEN if she asks beforehand! I wouldn't do her any favors... if you do decide to keep the family!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Crystal's Avatar
Crystal Crystal is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,955
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3cents View Post
I would remind her at pick up time. Please give me advanced notice if your going to need an early drop off and I will see if I can accommodate. Then if she says yes you can either go into is this going to be a service you need every day? Wow.

Some people on the boards stand out more then others and I notice that you go above and beyond to help your clients and be fair. It stinks when your treated with no respect and you see other "co-workers" deal with this. and hope you enjoy that $$$ Thanks for being an inspiration for backbones across all daycares- Being in sleep mode I don't know as if I would have handled this as well. I probably would have scared her......lol I am a tosser and a turner and I look like some frazzled mess till I shower up and am ready for the day.

My baby just farted so loud that if I had anyone else here with me they would have insisted it was me that did it. Nothing that small should be able to be that powerful.........wow I am lucky he didn't wake everyone else up.
ROFLMAO!!!!!

Last edited by Blackcat31; 03-08-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: fixed quote marks
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:39 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist View Post
Heeey. I want sharks with lasers, too.

How early are you willing to accommodate her? It seems like her drop offs just get earlier, and earlier, and earlier, and earlier.
That's what I'm worried about. That she'll just keep bringing him earlier and earlier which I'm not willing to do. When I first agreed to 6:30 I was fine with it because 6:30 is the time that I wake up my DD for school and I get up 10 minutes earlier than that. With the 6:20 am drop-off I need to get up 10 minutes before I usually do in order to be ready. That wasn't so bad because he's a sweet boy and I was still able to get some quiet time to myself while he played or laid back down if he was still tired.

But I draw the line at being taken advantage of after I've been more than accommodating.

I was already toying with the idea of letting this family go because I have a gap of Tues, Wed, Thurs where I can fit another child. I also have every other Monday and Friday open. If I let this family go I can then free up those Mondays and Fridays and I can get a FT child in here but I felt bad. Now I don't feel so bad .

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3cents View Post
I would remind her at pick up time. Please give me advanced notice if your going to need an early drop off and I will see if I can accommodate. Then if she says yes you can either go into is this going to be a service you need every day? Wow.
I literally just talked to her about showing up earlier than contracted time without notice, and I did ask her if she needed to drop off earlier since she started dropping off first 5 minutes earlier then 10 minutes earlier. She said yes so I changed her scheduled hours from 6:30 to 6:20am. Today is her first day back to daycare since signing the new contract and me talking to her about being earlier than her contracted time and she showed up 15 minutes EARLIER than her NEW EARLIER contracted time!

Had I not given her a new contract to sign she would have been 25 minutes earlier than her contracted time. When I asked her if she needed an earlier drop off time (when we signed the new contract) I asked her what time she needed to drop off because I needed to know if she needed to drop off earlier than what I was willing to accomodate. She said that 6:20am was what she needed. Then the very next day of attendance she brings him at 6:05am .

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3cents View Post
Some people on the boards stand out more then others and I notice that you go above and beyond to help your clients and be fair. It stinks when your treated with no respect and you see other "co-workers" deal with this. and hope you enjoy that $$$ Thanks for being an inspiration for backbones across all daycares- Being in sleep mode I don't know as if I would have handled this as well. I probably would have scared her......lol I am a tosser and a turner and I look like some frazzled mess till I shower up and am ready for the day.
I do try to accommodate my clients if I am able without compromising my values or way that I do business. I am VERY flexible and VERY willing to work with my clients on any matter. I'm glad it shows in my posts. What I am not willing to do is just allow a client to assume that I will be okay with whatever they decide they want without first discussing this with me.

I'm the type of person that is more than willing to share my plate of food with my DH but if he reaches out for it without asking me first I will chew his face off . It bothers me that people don't ASK first. I don't even go to my family's house and use their bathroom without first asking if I can use it even though they always tell me that I don't need to ask. I know they won't say no ... but I still want to ask. It's just good manners but I guess not everyone is built like that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by My3cents View Post
My baby just farted so loud that if I had anyone else here with me they would have insisted it was me that did it. Nothing that small should be able to be that powerful.........wow I am lucky he didn't wake everyone else up.
This is the funniest thing I've heard all day. It totally made me LOL. I'm lucky I didn't wake the napping kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella View Post
I sure hope you don't ever allow any early drop-offs for her without pay, EVEN if she asks beforehand! I wouldn't do her any favors... if you do decide to keep the family!
No I wouldn't allow an earlier drop off even with notice without pay. My fees cover my client's scheduled hours only so any extra time that they need is charged extra. Had she asked in advance I would have charged her $5 for the extra time ... but because she didn't I charged her my early drop off fee so she paid $10 more than she would have had she just asked me yesterday.


I think I just decided to give her a 2 weeks notice. I'll give it to her on Monday when she picks up and that way she'll have 2 weeks to find another daycare.
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Thetotspot's Avatar
Thetotspot Thetotspot is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: California
Posts: 80
Default

I did the exact opposite. I was told wednesday that one of my dck would be here at 7:30 which is about every other drop off no big deal. 7:25 i get a phone call and i answered...oh cr@p...i was still at home. It took me almost ten minutes to get to daycare. Good thing parent was early. I felt very bad. This only happened once before...and that time mom had failed to tell me they moved her back to earlier shift show now she understands i need a schedule (my husband says this morning all witty " give me your schedule...so i can be late")
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-08-2013, 02:09 PM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

I'm glad you're giving her 2 weeks notice. Finding a full-time client who respects you will be really nice.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-08-2013, 03:06 PM
daycarediva's Avatar
daycarediva daycarediva is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 11,377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist View Post
She's LUCKY you even open the door. I ignore, ignore, ignore anyone who comes early. They only do it once or twice and it never happens again since all they end up doing is waiting on my porch bored to tears.
I would have let her continue to knock, and knock, and knock and then opened the door at the right time ready. GOODNESS people are SO RUDE!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 PM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
That's what I'm worried about. That she'll just keep bringing him earlier and earlier which I'm not willing to do. When I first agreed to 6:30 I was fine with it because 6:30 is the time that I wake up my DD for school and I get up 10 minutes earlier than that. With the 6:20 am drop-off I need to get up 10 minutes before I usually do in order to be ready. That wasn't so bad because he's a sweet boy and I was still able to get some quiet time to myself while he played or laid back down if he was still tired.

But I draw the line at being taken advantage of after I've been more than accommodating.

I was already toying with the idea of letting this family go because I have a gap of Tues, Wed, Thurs where I can fit another child. I also have every other Monday and Friday open. If I let this family go I can then free up those Mondays and Fridays and I can get a FT child in here but I felt bad. Now I don't feel so bad .



I literally just talked to her about showing up earlier than contracted time without notice, and I did ask her if she needed to drop off earlier since she started dropping off first 5 minutes earlier then 10 minutes earlier. She said yes so I changed her scheduled hours from 6:30 to 6:20am. Today is her first day back to daycare since signing the new contract and me talking to her about being earlier than her contracted time and she showed up 15 minutes EARLIER than her NEW EARLIER contracted time!

Had I not given her a new contract to sign she would have been 25 minutes earlier than her contracted time. When I asked her if she needed an earlier drop off time (when we signed the new contract) I asked her what time she needed to drop off because I needed to know if she needed to drop off earlier than what I was willing to accomodate. She said that 6:20am was what she needed. Then the very next day of attendance she brings him at 6:05am .



I do try to accommodate my clients if I am able without compromising my values or way that I do business. I am VERY flexible and VERY willing to work with my clients on any matter. I'm glad it shows in my posts. What I am not willing to do is just allow a client to assume that I will be okay with whatever they decide they want without first discussing this with me.

I'm the type of person that is more than willing to share my plate of food with my DH but if he reaches out for it without asking me first I will chew his face off . It bothers me that people don't ASK first. I don't even go to my family's house and use their bathroom without first asking if I can use it even though they always tell me that I don't need to ask. I know they won't say no ... but I still want to ask. It's just good manners but I guess not everyone is built like that .



This is the funniest thing I've heard all day. It totally made me LOL. I'm lucky I didn't wake the napping kids.



No I wouldn't allow an earlier drop off even with notice without pay. My fees cover my client's scheduled hours only so any extra time that they need is charged extra. Had she asked in advance I would have charged her $5 for the extra time ... but because she didn't I charged her my early drop off fee so she paid $10 more than she would have had she just asked me yesterday.


I think I just decided to give her a 2 weeks notice. I'll give it to her on Monday when she picks up and that way she'll have 2 weeks to find another daycare.
Good for you for thinking of terming! BTW - your CL ad rocks & I am guessing you will have no problems filling a FT opening!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-08-2013, 04:10 PM
Angelsj's Avatar
Angelsj Angelsj is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,323
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
My next home will have a fenced in yard, barbed wire and a moat with sharks with frickin lasers.
It has been a tough day, and this just cracked me up!!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Lucy's Avatar
Lucy Lucy is offline
Hurt Betrayed Confused
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: NW
Posts: 1,648
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist View Post
She's LUCKY you even open the door. I ignore, ignore, ignore anyone who comes early. They only do it once or twice and it never happens again since all they end up doing is waiting on my porch bored to tears.
Me too. Anything more than 60 seconds early and they wait outside.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-10-2013, 08:16 AM
momofboys's Avatar
momofboys momofboys is offline
Advanced Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,434
Default

Give us an update this week after you give your notice!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:08 PM
MarinaVanessa's Avatar
MarinaVanessa MarinaVanessa is offline
Family Childcare Home
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ventura County, CA
Posts: 7,200
Default

Okay so I did it. I gave DCM her 2 weeks notice. I wrote her a nice termination letter with a vague "due to personal reasons" excuse but gave her a really great parting letter. All in all although I did have issues with her coming earlier than contracted she really was a great client and her DS was a great kid. The early drop-offs were the ONLY issue I had with her. She never lingered, she always paid on time or early, she never picked up late, she was never rude, she was always thoughtful and thankful etc. All in all I really was sad when it came time to give her the notice.

She did ask me why and was persistent and so I was honest with her and told her that because of my pregnancy I was cutting down on my numbers for PTers and getting one FT child. I also told her that the early hours were not working for me. She wasn't angry or upset and she thanked me. I did also give her a list of other FCC providers in the area and DCB is now old enough to go to pre-school so she has more options now than she did before. I wished her well and I will be seeing her again one more time for 2 days unless she finds child care arrangements sooner (I let her know that I would be willing to release her from her contract early). I gave her son a hug before she got here to start my "goodbyes" and almost cried.

Should I mention that this morning she was here at 7:12 am . (drop off is at 7:20)
__________________
Daycare Ninja, CA
Helping Hands Childcare
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:46 PM
Luna's Avatar
Luna Luna is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa View Post
Okay so I did it. I gave DCM her 2 weeks notice. I wrote her a nice termination letter with a vague "due to personal reasons" excuse but gave her a really great parting letter. All in all although I did have issues with her coming earlier than contracted she really was a great client and her DS was a great kid. The early drop-offs were the ONLY issue I had with her. She never lingered, she always paid on time or early, she never picked up late, she was never rude, she was always thoughtful and thankful etc. All in all I really was sad when it came time to give her the notice.

She did ask me why and was persistent and so I was honest with her and told her that because of my pregnancy I was cutting down on my numbers for PTers and getting one FT child. I also told her that the early hours were not working for me. She wasn't angry or upset and she thanked me. I did also give her a list of other FCC providers in the area and DCB is now old enough to go to pre-school so she has more options now than she did before. I wished her well and I will be seeing her again one more time for 2 days unless she finds child care arrangements sooner (I let her know that I would be willing to release her from her contract early). I gave her son a hug before she got here to start my "goodbyes" and almost cried.

Should I mention that this morning she was here at 7:12 am . (drop off is at 7:20)
If there was any question whether or not you did the right thing, there's your answer. Well done!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM
LaLa1923's Avatar
LaLa1923 LaLa1923 is offline
mommyof5-and going crazy
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,094
Default

good for you!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-11-2013, 07:53 PM
JLH's Avatar
JLH JLH is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Washington
Posts: 124
Default

Good for you for letting her go! I love stories like this! They are so inspiring for those of us who have a hard time telling our daycare parents no.

I have had a situation going on just like that that came to a head today as well.

Mom asked me to open at 5:30 for a couple of days while she got trained into a new dept. at work. I said okay if just for a couple of days. The next week it was a few days. Then it changed to 5am drop-off. Then she showed up last Monday at 4:45am. My hubby went out in his pajama pants to take the garbage out and there she was on the doorstep. I was still in bed asleep and not happy when he woke me. When she came to pick up I asked her if it would be an early drop-off every day this week. She said yes, she had told her work to make her schedule that permanently. I couldn't believe it! I never agreed to that as a permanent schedule and she never even asked me! I told her she needed to change her schedule back to a 7am drop off, as it is not fair to my 3 kids to be woken up at 5am every morning and it is unrealistic to expect my husband and I to work from 5am to 5:30pm, 5 days per week. And we weren't even charging her extra!!!
Well, today she came in and told me that tomorrow would be his last day. She said she was sorry for the short notice but she was on a waiting list at a place closer to her home and they finally called her today and told her that they had room for her son. I was livid! I am so thankful for all of you ladies on here because you have given me the backbone that I needed for this situation. I told her that we have a policy in our parent handbook that requires she pay 2 weeks notice. I told her I had 3 tours last week and if I had known she was leaving, one of those kids may have been able to take her spot, but since she didn't give me time to enroll someone else she would have to pay the full 2 weeks notice.
What a total slap in the face!!! On the bright side though, I am so happy to be done with this family! The child costs me about 3 different tours that would have enrolled if he hadn't acted out. Now that I know he will be gone, I am excited to hold tours and see how it goes!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
backbone

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Frustrating Morning! bunnyslippers Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 10-26-2012 02:56 PM
Backbone wahmof3 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 10-19-2012 12:10 PM
Morning Activities, First Arrivals daycare Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 24 06-22-2012 12:09 PM
Friday Morning Vent Breezy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 06-15-2012 08:35 AM
Thanks for the Backbone laundryduchess@yahoo.com Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 19 04-26-2010 09:30 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:36 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming