Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What To Charge For Over Night
Unregistered 07:51 PM 09-04-2013
I just had a mom ask me if I would take her 3 girls overnight from Sunday to Monday. They are very high maintenance girls that do not listen. One of the girls has a sensory issue and freaks out over everything. Their ages are 8, 5, and 17 months. I usually charge and hourly rate, but am wondering how to charge this out. Especially since I consider Sunday overtime since it is my family day. What are your thoughts?
angiescott 08:09 PM 09-04-2013
My son has sensory issues and I would never ask anyone to keep him overnight, especially for that many days. Just to warn you, we tried this with my parents, who live next door to us that he sees a TON. First day was ok, first night was rough, by the second night, my parents couldn't handle it even with his therapist there trying to help him cope with the change. Napping at your house normally is one thing, but sleeping at your house at night most likely won't go over well. Unless you're desperate for money, there is no way I would do it if I were you, especially if you don't have a ton of experience doing this, like you have a child with sensory issues. I couldn't imagine taking on someone elses sensory child, it's overwhelming when it's your own and you deal with it on a daily basis and know exactly what to do. If she freaks out about everything as it is, it's only going to get worse when there is no break between your house and her own comfort zone in her house.
Leigh 08:12 PM 09-04-2013
Originally Posted by angiescott:
My son has sensory issues and I would never ask anyone to keep him overnight, especially for that many days. Just to warn you, we tried this with my parents, who live next door to us that he sees a TON. First day was ok, first night was rough, by the second night, my parents couldn't handle it even with his therapist there trying to help him cope with the change. Napping at your house normally is one thing, but sleeping at your house at night most likely won't go over well. Unless you're desperate for money, there is no way I would do it if I were you, especially if you don't have a ton of experience doing this, like you have a child with sensory issues. I couldn't imagine taking on someone elses sensory child, it's overwhelming when it's your own and you deal with it on a daily basis and know exactly what to do. If she freaks out about everything as it is, it's only going to get worse when there is no break between your house and her own comfort zone in her house.
I get $25 per day (per child) during "regular" hours, and I charge $50 per 12 hour shift for overnights. If the child is dropped off at 8PM and picked up at 6AM, it's $50. If the child is picked up at 9AM, it's $100. Hope that helps.
butterfly 08:44 AM 09-05-2013
No advice from me. I'd say NO. My weekend time is too important to me and I need that down time.
Blackcat31 08:56 AM 09-05-2013
I ONLY provide care during regular business hours too but in my area there are several providers that offer overnight and weekend care.

The rate for ANYTHING before 7AM and/or after 6PM is billed at 2x the regular rate.

These hours are often referred to as "non-standard" hours around here. Even the state child care assistance program pays a much higher rate for those non-standard hours.
Brooksie 09:04 AM 09-05-2013
Originally Posted by butterfly:
No advice from me. I'd say NO. My weekend time is too important to me and I need that down time.
This. Especially if the children are difficult and one of the girls has sensory issues. She needs a family member to watch her in HER home where she is most comfortable. I would just say NO. No reasonable amount of money would make me take that on.

If you REALLY DO want to do it I would charge MAX fee. Overtime is generally time and a half. So with those ages, for me the 8yo would be $30 per 10 hour time slowt. The 5 year old would be $37.50 and the 17 month would be $52.50. All for a 10 hour extra slot. That's $120.00 for one night of care. No sibling discounts available for overtime.

But again, I would say no.
Tags:after hours care, charging hourly, overnight care, overnight rates, therapist
Reply Up