Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breast Milk Handling
Core12 08:05 AM 12-07-2016
Hello! Thanks to everyone who has helped so much with all of their tips!!!! This is the best forum ever!
I really need some advice...
How do u guys hand breast milk? I have one parent who brings a frozen bag of milk for the week and another who brings a day of thawed breast milk in five individual botttles. For the past couple of days the parent who brought the frozen milk asked me if I had any left over milk...I always tell her yes, bc it's hard to speculate the ant of milk to thaw...then this parent asks me for the time the milk has been sitting out.
The other parent who brings the bottles just brings 20 oz and that's the end of it.
Just asking if u guys take out a designated amount the night before for frozen breast milk? Then if the baby doesn't come...do u just throw it away? I feel it's asking a lot to thaw it out on demand...which is what I feel like I'm doing bc she is trying to connserve her milk.
midaycare 08:09 AM 12-07-2016
Have her thaw it out daily. That's nuts.
happymom 08:21 AM 12-07-2016
She brings like one big bag of frozen milk? Or is it frozen in smallish increments?
mommyneedsadayoff 08:26 AM 12-07-2016
If she brings little individual bags of frozen bm, i just take 3-5 out in the morning and let the defrost in the fridge.
finsup 08:31 AM 12-07-2016
I require about a week's worth, frozen. Then I just thaw what I need every morning. I provide bottles so all mom needs to do is remember milk on Monday. I just keep her up to date if I need more or am all set for a while. The only downside is the freezer space it takes up, but eh...small price to pay for not having to deal with daily drop offs. I had so many leaks, forgetting etc that way.
No thawed milk leaves the house I do one bag at a time until I can better gauge what's needed for the day.
jenboo 08:55 AM 12-07-2016
Everyone comes with prepared bottles daily here
Pestle 09:54 AM 12-07-2016
Wait, ONE bag of milk for the week? Or several frozen bags which she wants you to keep in your freezer?

I get an insulated bag each morning, with freshly pumped milk, plus sometimes one serving of frozen milk if the mom had a low supply day yesterday.
Jupadia 10:10 AM 12-07-2016
She may be asking about how long the milk been out to see if she can still use the left overs. It's good for 4 hours if bottles not been used and 1 hour if bottle toched baby's mouth.

Once thawed and refigeradited it's good for 24 hours. So you should be good to take out about that amount depending on how many ounces each bag is and how much baby eats when there.
Also if your not sure about amounts the bags will thaw fast in a bowl of cool then warm then hot water within a half hour at most.

As for why one asks and the other dose not she may be having trouble pumping milk and is worrying about her supply. I know I had troubles with both of mine.

I don't have any baby's that are on breast milk but I would have no problem with them bringing fresh or frozen but would require some frozen for any baby on breast milk just in case I go threw lots in one day or if parent some how forgets to bring the fresh stuff that day.
happymom 10:44 AM 12-07-2016
It really shouldn't take long to figure out how much milk the baby is drinking in a day in order to not overfeed/waste milk.

I'd ask mom how much baby should eat per serving and then feed on demand, and try not to feed to close to pick up. If baby usually has 3 bottles in a day but sometimes has 4....only thaw enough milk for 3 bottles and if needed you can thaw the 4th.

Mom is trying to conserve her milk and not let any go to waste. Being a working/pumping mom is difficult to keep up with, especially once you hit the 5-6 month mark...
happymom 10:51 AM 12-07-2016
I never sent frozen milk to daycare aside from an extra bag for just in case for some reason baby needed more or if milk got spilled or something. I'd just send like 10oz of fresh or thawed milk and expect daycare to use it all each day (at least offer it all) and discard the rest.
KSDC 11:40 AM 12-07-2016
Thawing breast milk isn't something that I have time for. Nor do I do long term storage. I request that the parents bring the milk daily. If there is any left at the end of the day, it goes back home.
Current DCM brings it in a couple of 8 oz bottles without nipples. I then poor smaller serving sizes into the bottles I use to feed the baby.
laundrymom 12:03 PM 12-07-2016
I ask for frozen milk in two or four ounce portions (a gallon zip bag full)and thaw as needed. It takes literally a moment under cool water to thaw and then warm.
I text end of day w how much baby ate. Baby comes next week w zip bag of how ever many they ate week before. I use up old before new and we cycle it through.
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 12-07-2016
Originally Posted by happymom:
It really shouldn't take long to figure out how much milk the baby is drinking in a day in order to not overfeed/waste milk.
I agree....it doesn't take much more than the first two weeks to figure out what is "normal" for baby during the day.

I have parents bring a week's supply of frozen milk.

In the morning (or even the night before) I take out one bag of frozen milk and thaw it either overnight in fridge or the morning of in room temp water. When baby has eaten that serving, I remove another bag and thaw. Rinse and repeat as many times as the baby eats during the day. My infant (age 7 mos) usually eats 3 to 4 times a day depending on drop off/pick up times.

If it's getting close to pick up time, I will try to hold baby off so mom can nurse verses having to bottle feed.

I've never had issues with having frozen milk brought. Most mom's bring a big zip lock baggie with a week's supply of 4 to 6 oz bags. I don't allow fresh prepared bottles to be brought. Too many opportunities for parents to add something and I'm not even going to go there....
happymom 01:25 PM 12-07-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I've never had issues with having frozen milk brought. Most mom's bring a big zip lock baggie with a week's supply of 4 to 6 oz bags. I don't allow fresh prepared bottles to be brought. Too many opportunities for parents to add something and I'm not even going to go there....
Although I personally believe it to be minimal, did you know that "freezing destroys some of the immune properties in human milk, so it’s best if your baby is given fresh milk–milk that has been expressed and then refrigerated." (dr sears)?

I'm sorry I am completely at a loss to relate to your fear that someone will (poison?) their child via breastmilk while they are in your care. I mean, I suppose if this was someone's intentions they could also mix and then freeze?

Sending fresh can be so much easier on moms for a few reasons. First, it's easier to manage pumping output vs what baby drinks when you can see it right away and make changes accordingly. Next, measuring breastmilk in a plastic bag is highly inaccurate. Last, just the waste of those expensive plastic bags/more plastic in the landfill that can be easily avoided by simply serving fresh bottles of breastmilk and saving the frozen plastic bags for an extra stash of milk.

Not saying you're wrong for protecting yourself in this way, by the way, I just can not fathom this fear.
LysesKids 01:34 PM 12-07-2016
Although I personally believe it to be minimal, did you know that "freezing destroys some of the immune properties in human milk, so it’s best if your baby is given fresh milk–milk that has been expressed and then refrigerated." (dr sears)?

I'm sorry I am completely at a loss to relate to your fear that someone will (poison?) their child via breastmilk while they are in your care. I mean, I suppose if this was someone's intentions they could also mix and then freeze?

Sending fresh can be so much easier on moms for a few reasons. First, it's easier to manage pumping output vs what baby drinks when you can see it right away and make changes accordingly. Next, measuring breastmilk in a plastic bag is highly inaccurate. Last, just the waste of those expensive plastic bags/more plastic in the landfill that can be easily avoided by simply serving fresh bottles of breastmilk and saving the frozen plastic bags for an extra stash of milk.

Not saying you're wrong for protecting yourself in this way, by the way, I just can not fathom this fear.
I do the same as BC... I have had parents in the past send formula bottles prepared AND DONE WRONG... moms wouldn't put in enough formula because it's too expensive, then baby gets sick because it's not getting proper nutrients; I've also had moms add Tylenol to fresh milk and tell me just as they walk out the door (big NO NO for licensing reasons alone). It's a liability issue not a fear that we have these policies
Blackcat31 06:16 PM 12-07-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I do the same as BC... I have had parents in the past send formula bottles prepared AND DONE WRONG... moms wouldn't put in enough formula because it's too expensive, then baby gets sick because it's not getting proper nutrients; I've also had moms add Tylenol to fresh milk and tell me just as they walk out the door (big NO NO for licensing reasons alone). It's a liability issue not a fear that we have these policies

@happymom. I totally understand and agree with what you are saying but the choice to "have to" freeze is on the parent (when they choose to enroll).

I have to protect myself and my business first and foremost.

After 2.5 decades in the business I'd like to say every parent puts their child's needs ahead of their own, is honest and knows better but I'd be lying.
Solandia 09:31 AM 12-08-2016

Not poison, but add drugs...absolutely. It happens frequently. I had one mom who would add Motrin or benedryl to the lunchtime baby food jar for teething/better nap/sniffles...One mom who would add formula to boost the calories in the breastmilk...or add water to "make it go further". Same with formula..either mixing it less concentrated to cost less...or more to give extra vitamins. It was all with good intentions, nothing nefarious about it...but not on my clock, and my liability. I HAVE to know what is in the food, and no...I cannot trust the parent to be honest on this, my experience tells me i cannot.There are no signs on which wonderful parent will do this without telling you.

I didn't take me but a year or two into the daycare scene to not allow opened foods & I prepped formula bottles myself. Especially leary of parents who would label certain bottles for specific times of the day.
happymom 12:43 PM 12-09-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

@happymom. I totally understand and agree with what you are saying but the choice to "have to" freeze is on the parent (when they choose to enroll).
Very true, and from what I can see you run a fantastic program and are likely at capacity so it's working out well for you!
Tags:breast milk
Reply Up