Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant HiMama Childcare App

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-17-2019, 03:57 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Am I Being Too Strict Re: Pink Eye?

dck age 1 was diagnosed with pink eye on Saturday. Has been on drops for the minimum 24 hours but is waking from sleep with crusties.

My rule on pink eye is 24 hours on drops AND no drainage.

My concern is the child rubbing their eyes and transferring dried drainage that way. Being 1 I don't have a concrete way to ensure the child does not rub their eyes. Nor do I have a way to separate the child all day. I have said no drainage before returning to care.

Am I being too strict? What would you all do with regards to the child returning to care?
Old 11-17-2019, 04:49 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBee View Post
dck age 1 was diagnosed with pink eye on Saturday. Has been on drops for the minimum 24 hours but is waking from sleep with crusties.

My rule on pink eye is 24 hours on drops AND no drainage.

My concern is the child rubbing their eyes and transferring dried drainage that way. Being 1 I don't have a concrete way to ensure the child does not rub their eyes. Nor do I have a way to separate the child all day. I have said no drainage before returning to care.

Am I being too strict? What would you all do with regards to the child returning to care?
Personally, I'd ask dcm to keep the child home if the eye is still draining. I just googled it and based on what I read, kids can be contagious 24 - 48 hours after starting treatment. Depending on when treatment was started on Saturday, the child may still be contagious. Given how easily it spreads, I'd ask for one more day out of day care to minimize the risk that the other kids will end up with it, too. Just my opinion. I tend to err on the side of caution with these things.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:10 PM
Daycare.com Member

24 hrs is not enough. This is what it says in my Handbook under "Keep Us Healthy" policy:

"Children are not allowed to attend daycare with eyes that are red, swollen, goopy or crusty, and/or eyes that are weeping with clear or cloudy drainage. They must be completely free of both running and dried drainage around their eyes before they can return to daycare. We do not accept doctor's note allowing children to return to daycare after treating conjunctivitis if the redness, drainage, and/or crusts over eyes/eyelashes are still present."

There. No is a NO.
Old 11-19-2019, 05:47 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Pink eye must be completely clear before returning. It is one of those illnesses that is so easily spread, even after drops are administered. So I donít think you are being strict enough!
Old 11-19-2019, 08:46 AM
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith

I get pink eye really easily. My policy is 24 hours on drops and no drainage. So no you're not too strict.
Old 11-19-2019, 09:32 AM
Day Care Owner

I realized at lunchtime that I had pink eye on Halloween. I did an online appointment during nap and started meds after work. I was closed the next day, when I reopened Monday, the itching had stopped. No one touched my eye and I continuously washed my hands.

I got pink eye from my DS coughing in my eye.

Now, I knew what I was doing and was able to keep my infection from spreading. But I would not trust a toddler to do the same and I would have to exclude. Only one DCM noticed my eye and By Monday you couldn't tell.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:45 PM
New Daycare.com Member

My policy specifically states no drainage as well. Pink eye is so contagious-you donít want that for yourself let alone the other kiddos and their families.

Tags
pink eye, pink eye policy