Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Sure How To Handle This
jenboo 02:52 PM 12-17-2013
DCG 5 yrs old lies a lot. I can never get a straight story out of her. Even when I witnessed the incident, she will still make up 4 different stories (ex, she hit a child today and kept telling me she didn't do it).
Today I went to the bathroom and when I came back DCG startled a little and was pulling up her pants (they were mostly up but i could tell she was pulling on them). I couldn't get a straight answer from her about what she was doing. I talked to other DCG 4 yrs old who was next to her and she told me that DCG5 told her (DCG4) to pull her pants down. DCG5 told me this wasn't true and made up 2 different stories as to what was really happening. DCG4 stuck to what she had told me.

How would you handle this situation? Im not sure what i should do. I plan on talking to mom about the lying and hitting today.
preschoolteacher 08:15 PM 12-17-2013
If I had to guess, she was playing at something (playing "doctor", pretending to go pee, etc.) and she knew she wasn't supposed to be naked, so she startled and covered up. It sounds like something a kid that age might do... wanting to experiment, push boundaries, but older enough to realize that taking your pants down in public is not okay!

She might not want to tell you what she was doing because she is afraid to get in trouble. Even if what she was doing was innocent, although immature.

I would focus on the lying and hitting with mom. Serious consequences for both.
Play Care 02:47 AM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
If I had to guess, she was playing at something (playing "doctor", pretending to go pee, etc.) and she knew she wasn't supposed to be naked, so she startled and covered up. It sounds like something a kid that age might do... wanting to experiment, push boundaries, but older enough to realize that taking your pants down in public is not okay!

She might not want to tell you what she was doing because she is afraid to get in trouble. Even if what she was doing was innocent, although immature.

I would focus on the lying and hitting with mom. Serious consequences for both.

When you have a child in your care who is lying, they need to be with you at all times. Stop asking her what she was doing as you already know she won't tell the truth. Make it so you KNOW what she is doing by keeping her with you/in your sight. She is old enough to be told "I can't trust you to be truthful so you have to stay with me." Make sure you are documenting everything and in constant with her parents regarding the situation. I had a SA dck who was a manipulative liar and it's been a couple years and I'm still not over the whole experience
jenboo 07:37 AM 12-18-2013
Thanks guys!! I will have her sit in the hallway now when ever i have to leave the room. I will also make sure im documenting everything. They like to play babies and doctor a lot and I have talked to them about keeping their clothes on before. I just wasn't sure if I should have mom talk to her about that since she isn't listening to me.
Tags:expose, hitting, lying, nakedness
Reply Up