Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Mrs.Ky's Avatar
Mrs.Ky Mrs.Ky is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 133
Default Do Some Parents Think It’s Actually Ok To Hit

Yesterday we where outside playing and it was closing time my DD who is 3 pushed down my DCB who is 2 in front of his Dad. I told her it wasnt nice and we dont push (all children get 1 warning and if they do it again they go to time out) well the Dad speaks up and says she better watch it he will push her back wont you (DCB name). My mouth dropped here I am telling my DD its not nice to push and he is encouraging his Son to push back I dont get some parents do they really think its ok to do this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-14-2011, 06:32 AM
momofsix's Avatar
momofsix momofsix is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: michigan
Posts: 1,842
Default

I had one boy that told me his dad told him he could hit anyone that was picking on him. This was after he punched his little brother who had been bothering him. I had a talk with mom, she had no idea dad said this.
There is NO hitting/pushing allowed here.
Dad said he was worried dcb was getting picked on at school, and wanted him to defend himself. He's 5 years old...I would think that's not neccessary yet. they hadn't even talked about other ways to react in that type of situation. I could maybe see if an older kid keeps getting picked on, then teaching hem to defend himself, but for young children it's up to the adults to keep them safe from violence.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-14-2011, 06:40 AM
My Daycare's Avatar
My Daycare My Daycare is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 236
Default

My pet peeve quote is, "Oh, they are just boys."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-14-2011, 06:45 AM
morgan24's Avatar
morgan24 morgan24 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Just around the river bend
Posts: 694
Default

I would of said to dcb. Oh, You don't want to do that because then you won't get to play. Then to the dcd I would of said I don't allow that type of behavior from any of them including my own. So please don't suggest to him that it is okay.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-14-2011, 06:48 AM
MG&Lsmom's Avatar
MG&Lsmom MG&Lsmom is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Central MA
Posts: 551
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsix View Post
I had one boy that told me his dad told him he could hit anyone that was picking on him. This was after he punched his little brother who had been bothering him. I had a talk with mom, she had no idea dad said this.
There is NO hitting/pushing allowed here.
Dad said he was worried dcb was getting picked on at school, and wanted him to defend himself. He's 5 years old...I would think that's not neccessary yet. they hadn't even talked about other ways to react in that type of situation. I could maybe see if an older kid keeps getting picked on, then teaching hem to defend himself, but for young children it's up to the adults to keep them safe from violence.
Unfortunately I've experienced that 5 is not too young for bullying and violence to start. In my DD's Kindy class last year there was a girl who was eventually removed from the classroom because she was so physical with the kids. She hit my DD and shoved her off the bench at the lunch room table. She also bit her and several other students. Another 5yo girl on her bus strangled another student on the way home, older than her, and an ambulance had to be called. Several boys have been playing a "grab the girls" game on the playground this year leaving bruises and scrapes from their roughness. We live in a small suburban town. Good mix of all income levels and races. I have been shocked at the level of violence in our elementary school. My DD is also in an inclusion classroom with 2 teachers and 3 full time aides. It is not the special education kids either, it's the "peer models" in the class.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-14-2011, 07:01 AM
missnikki's Avatar
missnikki missnikki is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,037
Default

Ugh...this dad is teaching his son that:
1) Pushing/hitting is ok in response to frustration
2) Pushing/hitting girls is ok
3) Pushing/hitting the Daycare provider's kid in front of her is ok
4) Arguing or disobeying the DCP is ok
5) Threatening is OK

What a maroon. I'd have a few words with the guy. Something along the lines of, "Threatening the other kids through your son is very inappropriate, and I'm going to ask that you knock that off. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you don't go home and tell him to go around pushing people, so why don't you let me handle it next time?"

Or something like it.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-14-2011, 07:33 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

I have several kids who I know their parents tell them it is okay to hit or push others. One does it under the disguise of "sticking up for ones self". I even have one dad who tells his 4 yr old dd that farting, burping and picking your nose are all normal body functions and it is okay to do any of those things whenever the need arises even if it is in the middle of a public place.

I know, dad is a moron, but I gave up trying to change parent views and child rearing philosophies a long time ago. I am now only concerned with what goes on here on MY time. Here, we do not hit or push and we do not burp or fart on purpose or without an "excuse me" and we do not pick our nose with out a tissue.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-14-2011, 07:58 AM
elle73's Avatar
elle73 elle73 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 69
Default

I once had a dcg grab my daughter by the hair and slam her head into the wall very hard, dcm was there and said to my daughter oh just hit her back and we will call it even, I couldn't believe it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-14-2011, 09:06 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I think its more of a dad thing to be honest. I had a kid here one time who was just pushing buttons all day to all of the kids. Even though he was younger, he was bigger in size than most of the kids.

So the day goes on and little johhny is getting attacked by the button pusher. Finally little johnny hauls off and socks him in the stomach.

I send both kids to time out.

When I am telling the DCD that little Johnny went to time out for hitting the other kid, he asks wellk what happened that caused him to hit? I tell him and he says oh well that kid deserved it? I hope he learned not to push my kids buttons again or he will get a can of woop a$$. WTH

Deserved it or not hitting is not ok was my response. I don;t tolerate any kind of such behavior for any reason. Dad did not agree with me....

However, this same situaion happened again, same kids two weeks later. But this time mom came to pick up little johnny. I told her what happened and she went off on little johnny. Telling him that he lost his ice cream for the night and that it was NOT ok to hit ever....

Lol, like I said I know its not all men, just most......
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I think its more of a dad thing to be honest. I had a kid here one time who was just pushing buttons all day to all of the kids. Even though he was younger, he was bigger in size than most of the kids.

So the day goes on and little johhny is getting attacked by the button pusher. Finally little johnny hauls off and socks him in the stomach.

I send both kids to time out.

When I am telling the DCD that little Johnny went to time out for hitting the other kid, he asks wellk what happened that caused him to hit? I tell him and he says oh well that kid deserved it? I hope he learned not to push my kids buttons again or he will get a can of woop a$$. WTH

Deserved it or not hitting is not ok was my response. I don;t tolerate any kind of such behavior for any reason. Dad did not agree with me....

However, this same situaion happened again, same kids two weeks later. But this time mom came to pick up little johnny. I told her what happened and she went off on little johnny. Telling him that he lost his ice cream for the night and that it was NOT ok to hit ever....

Lol, like I said I know its not all men, just most......
I have the exact opposite situations...the two 'hitters' I have are boys and when I tell the dads they seem to be really strict and NOT happy about their child's behaviors and if I tell the moms of both those kids, the one mom kinda rolls her eyes and the other one laughs and says "Boy will be boys" so in my case, it is the mom's who make excuses for their kids.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-14-2011, 11:00 AM
newtodaycare22's Avatar
newtodaycare22 newtodaycare22 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 664
Default

I started off teaching 2nd grade and had a very "girly" boy in the room. He got picked on occasionally.

During my first EVER parent-teacher conference, the dad opened with, "Just to let you know, Nicholas is told to hit other kids whenever he feels it is necessary. He WILL defend himself."

WOW. (Nothing had EVER been physical in my classroom, but that's besides the point. I responded with, "Just to let YOU know, that type of behavior will find him in the prinicipals office. There is zero tolerance for violence in my classroom-no matter what the reason."

It's a scary world
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-14-2011, 11:01 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I have the exact opposite situations...the two 'hitters' I have are boys and when I tell the dads they seem to be really strict and NOT happy about their child's behaviors and if I tell the moms of both those kids, the one mom kinda rolls her eyes and the other one laughs and says "Boy will be boys" so in my case, it is the mom's who make excuses for their kids.
lol thats funny... I guess it just depends on the parent....ggeeerr it makes me so mad when they say that.... BOys will be boys... I don't care what sex you are you don't hit...........
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-14-2011, 12:58 PM
Missani's Avatar
Missani Missani is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Here, we do not hit or push and we do not burp or fart on purpose or without an "excuse me" and we do not pick our nose with out a tissue.
Am I the only one that laughed at this? I love it! Pretty much sums up the rules of life, Blackcat!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-14-2011, 04:13 PM
momatheart
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Once again something that could be added to the handbook. Daycare rules that the children will ahear to.

1. No hitting. Not by the victim or the agressor. (sp?)
yadda yadda yadda.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hitting, parent - with attitude

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Parents Forgetting Field Trip Fees queenbee Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 23 08-23-2020 02:48 PM
Annoying Parents In Your Daycare??? Mychildreportcard Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 06-06-2012 11:10 AM
How Do You Handle the Constant Questioning That The dc Kids Do? sahm2three Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 07-21-2010 07:49 PM
Laundry's Contract (Three Parts) laundryduchess@yahoo.com Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 02-02-2010 01:10 PM
Free the Parents Faja Parents and Guardians Forum 17 09-23-2009 01:21 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:00 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming