Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Kid Hitting Himself

I have a 15 month old dcb who likes to it himself on the head and face. Is this normal? This morning at drop off I had dcb in my arms and out of nowhere started hitting himself on the face saying "ouch" mom just looked and said "your crazy" lol now isn't this something weird
Old 03-19-2013, 09:15 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have in the past had kids that did this. It was like a game and I put a stop to it...I would say things like we only say ouch when we are hurt.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I totally hate this.

My youngest ds does this all of the time!

I usually tell him, "hey, don't hurt my Evan. I love that cheek!"

I don't know why he does it
Old 03-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Chaos Coordinator :)

I've had a few DCKs that did this, I usually would correct them like the other suggestions but really once they gave themselves a good smack and it really hurt they stopped on their own, like "oh man that really does hurt!"

My DD (15mo) does it sometimes after another kid falls, but she's just learned how to say "ouch" and use it in context so I think it's her way of understanding the situation that just unfolded.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Daycare.com Member

I care for a 20 month old that mom says does the same thing at home. He has never done it here though, and dcm said she talked to the doctor about it and he told her it was normal behavior and nothing to worry about.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:32 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks for all the replies..... It just freaked me out lol
Old 03-19-2013, 11:28 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

It's usually sensory seeking behavior. Same thing goes for kids that pull their own hair, pinch their own skin, bonk their heads into things.....

I would redirect onto an equally stimulating activity or reevaluate to sort out if the child was over tired, overwhelmed, hungry etc. Regulating the environment can help tremendously.

Since this happened during drop off transition I would try to have something near the door waiting to engage the kiddo in immediately so they don't project their feelings onto themselves. Might be as simple as having a stuffed animal to stick into his arms to hug to keep him from projecting that anxiety/angst onto himself again.
Old 03-19-2013, 12:46 PM
Daycare.com Member

Just reminded me of the movie Parenthood where the little boy put a bucket on his head and kept hitting the wall with it lol

Tags
hitting