Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>You Think?!!!
Christian Mother 05:06 PM 06-03-2011
Well, it hasn't happened quiet yet, but dcd picked up son 20 min late with no call or text and when I texted with "are you on your way your late over 15min". he never responded. He did show up 5 min. later but I told him "hey, your late today...his response..Oh well...WHatt??!! I followed him out to his car just after that comment and said listen this is a warning...you need to be here at 4:30pm if your late you need to call me. A call needs to be made or a text...it's just rude and disrespectful to not do so. He said he wasn't trying to be rude he thought he had til 5pm. and I looked at him with What? I said you need to clearly read your agreement one you signed bc it says that you need to be here right at your agreed time and if your past 15min. you need to text otherwise there's a late fee i will charge. He said that if i can make demands on him then he can make demands on me and the care I give his son. And I laughed. I said this is group care not Little Jimmy's care. If he would like that type of care he will need to find a diff. daycare. This is my daycare and I will run it the way I feel fit to run it. He just got in his van and left. Termination letter..you think???? I've never had to term but there is no way that I will ever have a parent ever disrespect me. Ever...now, have any of you termed bc of something like this similar or did you send a email with termination right there and then or do you wait for monday to come and term. I really just have had it with this family over all. My policy handbook states I will term for any reason specially for disrespect. But, I do not have a term. on record to give parents. Any handy you want to send me?
Christian Mother 05:11 PM 06-03-2011
Yea!! Just talked to mom...they are terming!! No more horrible family!!
e.j. 05:16 PM 06-03-2011
That was easy!
nannyde 05:25 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
Yea!! Just talked to mom...they are terming!! No more horrible family!!
Is this the Dad who hangs out with his kid at your house?
Christian Mother 05:47 PM 06-03-2011
Yes!! It was bound to happen...right?!! lol!! I think I was just waiting for something like this to happen. To many things with this father for me to continue care. I am washing my hands of this family and welcoming them to another. I don't get paid enough to put up with rude parents.
momma2girls 05:49 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
Yes!! It was bound to happen...right?!! lol!! I think I was just waiting for something like this to happen. To many things with this father for me to continue care. I am washing my hands of this family and welcoming them to another. I don't get paid enough to put up with rude parents.
I hear ya, sister!!
Unregistered 08:03 PM 06-03-2011
Must be nice to be able to get rid of kids/parents when they're annoying (which is the impression I'm getting from this board.) I actually do this as a business/job/life calling, and I need the income - and will find ways to work w/ parents and to love the kids no matter what. Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere ( or had other sources of income) where it would work to term term term. Hear a lot of that on here! But I know how much kids need stability. Sometimes I wonder how they make out after the day care ditches them because a parent says the wrong thing.
Christian Mother 11:44 PM 06-03-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Must be nice to be able to get rid of kids/parents when they're annoying (which is the impression I'm getting from this board.) I actually do this as a business/job/life calling, and I need the income - and will find ways to work w/ parents and to love the kids no matter what. Sometimes I wish I lived somewhere ( or had other sources of income) where it would work to term term term. Hear a lot of that on here! But I know how much kids need stability. Sometimes I wonder how they make out after the day care ditches them because a parent says the wrong thing.
It is only nice if the family in question is worth get rid of. In my case...ohhh yes! I am; unlike you... don't need to run a daycare to supplement income. My husband has a great paying job that allows me to be home with my children. But, I've always wanted to run a daycare and have a house full of little ones running around. And more often then not it is never the child's doing that will pertain to a termination. It's the parents. Because I don't have to worry about income, I don't charge much and bc I don't charge much I will NOT tolerate disrespect! No one should for the sake of money. Having a backbone allows me to be choosy on who to except into my care. Terming is always the last resort in behavior that won't change. In there case it was only getting worse.
Kaddidle Care 06:14 AM 06-04-2011
Sweetie, that is the joy of being self employed. You get to choose who you have to deal with. Having the attitude that you have no choice is not going to make you happy.

There are a lot of parents that treat Child Care workers with about the same respect as the dirt underneath their fingernails. I think it has to do with the low hourly rate. It's rather twisted to think that they are trusting their most precious gift with someone they think so little of.

That said, there are plenty of parents that see how happy their little ones are at Daycare and have no problem treating their Child Care Provider with respect and as a child rearing partner.
MyAngels 06:41 AM 06-04-2011
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Sweetie, that is the joy of being self employed. You get to choose who you have to deal with. Having the attitude that you have no choice is not going to make you happy.

There are a lot of parents that treat Child Care workers with about the same respect as the dirt underneath their fingernails. I think it has to do with the low hourly rate. It's rather twisted to think that they are trusting their most precious gift with someone they think so little of.

That said, there are plenty of parents that see how happy their little ones are at Daycare and have no problem treating their Child Care Provider with respect and as a child rearing partner.
Well said. Those "good" families are the ones that I will allow to use my services. Those others - not so much .
littlemissmuffet 07:27 AM 06-04-2011
I too am in childcare as a business, a job and a life calling. I too find ways to work with my parents. I too love my daycare babies very much. But I certaintly do not love, or have to love parents who are RUDE.
If you walked into any other job 15 minutes late and told your boss, "oh, I thought I had until such and such time to get here" and the boss said "NO, you need to be here at such and such time" and you proceeded to tell that boss basically "well if you can tell me what to do, I will can tell you what to do" and then just walk away, completely ignoring the fact that you just behaved like a little brat and totally unprofessional, you'd be fired by the end of the day.
There are consequences for every action. Too many parents think they can just walk all over us, and they use their children and their money as leverage. I don't care how much I love your child, or how much you pay me each month - you're not coming in my house and disrespecting me. End of story.

How often do you see posts on here about parents who completely abuse the space their child keeps in a provider's home and the provider is completely miserable and stressed out, but keep the family because they are desperate for the money? TOO OFTEN! Too many parents take advantage because they know that the provider NEEDS the money. Thankfully, my parents don't mess around, because they know I'm a great provider, I'm valuable, and that there is a long line of other parents and children waiting for a space in my home.

I say good on you, OP, for standing your ground! Embrace this new opportunity!!
PitterPatter 07:45 AM 06-04-2011
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I too am in childcare as a business, a job and a life calling. I too find ways to work with my parents. I too love my daycare babies very much. But I certaintly do not love, or have to love parents who are RUDE.
If you walked into any other job 15 minutes late and told your boss, "oh, I thought I had until such and such time to get here" and the boss said "NO, you need to be here at such and such time" and you proceeded to tell that boss basically "well if you can tell me what to do, I will can tell you what to do" and then just walk away, completely ignoring the fact that you just behaved like a little brat and totally unprofessional, you'd be fired by the end of the day.
There are consequences for every action. Too many parents think they can just walk all over us, and they use their children and their money as leverage. I don't care how much I love your child, or how much you pay me each month - you're not coming in my house and disrespecting me. End of story.

How often do you see posts on here about parents who completely abuse the space their child keeps in a provider's home and the provider is completely miserable and stressed out, but keep the family because they are desperate for the money? TOO OFTEN! Too many parents take advantage because they know that the provider NEEDS the money. Thankfully, my parents don't mess around, because they know I'm a great provider, I'm valuable, and that there is a long line of other parents and children waiting for a space in my home.

I say good on you, OP, for standing your ground! Embrace this new opportunity!!
Worth repeating!! I have been stuck in this exact spot a few times!! What's worse is when the parent is state funded and has that entitled attitude and only pays .75c for the days care!!! THAT totally irks my nerves!!
Christian Mother 10:17 AM 06-04-2011
Thank you ladies!! That is exactly what I tried putting across. Maybe it didn't come out right since I wrote right after the incident. I was righting in the heat of the moment..lol. But you ladies make a point that i need to stress on. Taking care of others children is a life calling. I believe we each are given gifts from God and no matter we're all pulled to do what we're called to do. I absolutely love what I do...and I don't do it for money. I do it bc it truly makes me happy and I feel blessed that I have the ability to live my dream. I can not have anymore children so being able to care for other and having that house full of children is just such a gift and not something I could put a price tag on. Being able to provide for my family in this way is just an added bonus.
e.j. 10:59 AM 06-04-2011
I also work with families to avoid termination whenever possible, mostly because I love the kids but also because I can't afford to lose the income.
I think in this instance, though, it went beyond the parent "saying the wrong thing". If I'm not mistaken, there were on-going issues; this one was just the straw that broke the camel's back. Dealing with "annoying" behavior is one thing, total disrespect is another. Life is short - way too short to allow rude people to make it miserable for you on a daily basis.
Mom_of_two 11:24 AM 06-04-2011
I have never termed a family but most definitely would not work with families who are completely disrespectful, or a bad fit for my business! BIG DIFFERENCE from 'being annoying' as all of us, in ANY career will be 'annoyed' by people sometimes!!

If I had to keep disrespectful, rude families who did not adhere to the contract THEY signed, or kids that are a bad fit for significant issues I would not be able or willing to do this job. I would advise anyone in that situation to look for other employment options rather than be resigned to abuse. That actually, to me, is a sign of an unhealthy provider-someone willing to settle for anything.
cheerfuldom 11:43 AM 06-04-2011
hey I do this for the income too and wouldn't be doing this if I had another option BUT that still does not make me desperate enough to other people treat me, my home or my family like dirt. Its up to me to teach people how to treat me. If they can't learn, there's the door, don't let it hit ya on the way out. These kids are special but so are my kids and so am I. I will not allow parents to mistreat me for any amount of money.
Mom_of_two 11:52 AM 06-04-2011
^^^^^ yes!
Tags:late arrivals, rude parents, terminated
Reply Up