Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Quick Advice On Possible Sick Kid?
JennyBear 06:16 AM 12-14-2011
I have this dcg that came on Friday with a very bad runny nose (i literally had to sit beside her the whole day and wipe every 20 seconds or so...she is just over 2 but can't tell me she needs a kleenex or her nose wiped). She get's a fever of 99.9 so I call mom. I get permission to use Advil and mom wants to wait until after work to p/u kid so comes right at 3:30. I got the vibe that mom thought I should have just sucked it up and never made it an issue. I didn't force the issue b/c I lack the confidence to be firm

So Monday morning comes and dad calls telling me that he went in to wake up dck and noticed she was sick through the night in her bed (And dad had the flu-they went away for weekend and were with sick family and now are sick as well) so dad was keeping her home for the day. Mom called monday night and told me that dcg was last sick at 9:30am and hasn't had any medication and wanted to bring her Tuesday. It didn't sit well with me so I asked her to keep her home one more day to be safe because other kids here had slight colds and I didn't want anyone to get sick especially with the Christmas holiday coming up. I could tell Mom wasn't too impressed (because they were missing work) but said ok.

So today rolls around and dcg comes. She seems okay and dad said she still had a bit of a runny nose but it wasn't as bad. About 30 minutes ago dck had a major poop (very loose...In a cloth diaper to top it off) and it ruined her pants (and mom and dad didn't bring any spares to keep here). The BM smells horrible! and it actually made me gag a couple of times while trying to clean up (and is now in a grocery bag in the garage it smells that bad...just doesn't smell right) I just took her temp and its only 98.6. She still has a runny nose but it's not as bad as it was. She is sitting here in the kitchen with me, in just a shirt and a diaper (because she doesn't have spare pants) and I don't know what to do. I don't want to make a huge deal to mom again making her come and pick her up if it ends up not being much of anything, but I don't want her here if she isn't well....and I don't have pants for her to wear all day.

I don't want to p*ss mom off or be a drama queen about this so I'm looking for advice on what to do.
Help please!!
Mandy_Jane 06:54 AM 12-14-2011
Well, she is probably going to have loose stools for a few days at LEAST. My whole family had whatever stomach bug this is going around, and it took me, an adult, at least 3-4 days before I was mostly over it. I feel so sorry for that poor child. How old is she? Regarding the pants issue, I really think you should wash and dry them and put them back on her so she doesn't get too cold. You should have insisted that mom and dad bring at least two changes of clothes to leave with you, and reminded them every day until you received them. But you shouldn't make the baby go pant-less just because you did not make the parents bring spares.
JennyBear 06:59 AM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by Mandy_Jane:
Well, she is probably going to have loose stools for a few days at LEAST. My whole family had whatever stomach bug this is going around, and it took me, an adult, at least 3-4 days before I was mostly over it. I feel so sorry for that poor child. How old is she? Regarding the pants issue, I really think you should wash and dry them and put them back on her so she doesn't get too cold. You should have insisted that mom and dad bring at least two changes of clothes to leave with you, and reminded them every day until you received them. But you shouldn't make the baby go pant-less just because you did not make the parents bring spares.
I have her wrapped in a blanket to keep warm right now. I have made it well aware to all parents (verbally and through letters) that all children need several extra clothes (especially since it's winter and we get wet easily). Her mom and dad aren't always exactly 'with it' and tend to slack in this area and i have a very hard time refusing care when parents don't bring extra stuff...I don't want them to get mad at me and think I'm being ridiculous
Growing1atime 07:03 AM 12-14-2011
Even if she isn't sick you would need to call the mom and ask her to bring your some cloths. You can't have a child in your care that doesn't have any pants on. It is their responsibility to provide a change of cloths. That would be the first part of the conversation.

Do you have a policy about diarrhea? My handbook states that children that have diarrhea aren't allowed to attend. It just isn't feasible to take care of a child that has diarrhea and other children at the same time. You have no idea if she is getting it because of food, medication, or because she is actually sick.

I have had enough experiences where I thought it was just nothing and didn't want to upset the parents and then it turned out to be something really bad.

Good luch!
Mandy_Jane 07:06 AM 12-14-2011
Are you new to daycare? It sounds like you may be. I used to do exactly what you do. I didn't want to make a fuss over anything because I didn't want the parents to get mad at me. I slowly learned as I went, that you absolutely HAVE to enforce your rules. Otherwise who is running the show? The PARENTS are. And it is supposed to be YOUR business. You let them get by without bringing spare clothes, and then next thing you know, they are breaking another rule, and then another.

I say this in the nicest way possible, but you need to get a BACKBONE, and stop being afraid to make parents follow the rules of your daycare. It's only going to hurt you in the long run. You'll be out of business in no time at all if you run your daycare always afraid to make parents angry. Anyhow, I do think you should wash the baby's pants and then tonight, tell dcm that dcg can not be admitted without spare clothing on hand in case of an accident such as today. And in fact, if she has another poop explosion today, I would tell dcm that she needs to stay home tomorrow because it is a health hazard to the daycare having her there with diarrhea that can leak out on to things. Good luck!
JennyBear 11:05 AM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by Mandy_Jane:
Are you new to daycare? It sounds like you may be. I used to do exactly what you do. I didn't want to make a fuss over anything because I didn't want the parents to get mad at me. I slowly learned as I went, that you absolutely HAVE to enforce your rules. Otherwise who is running the show? The PARENTS are. And it is supposed to be YOUR business. You let them get by without bringing spare clothes, and then next thing you know, they are breaking another rule, and then another.

I say this in the nicest way possible, but you need to get a BACKBONE, and stop being afraid to make parents follow the rules of your daycare. It's only going to hurt you in the long run. You'll be out of business in no time at all if you run your daycare always afraid to make parents angry. Anyhow, I do think you should wash the baby's pants and then tonight, tell dcm that dcg can not be admitted without spare clothing on hand in case of an accident such as today. And in fact, if she has another poop explosion today, I would tell dcm that she needs to stay home tomorrow because it is a health hazard to the daycare having her there with diarrhea that can leak out on to things. Good luck!
Yes I am fairly new to this and I agree completely...I do need to get a backbone (which I am working on )
I held firm and called dcm after dcg had more diarrhea and she came to pick her up. I had asked that dcg not return for at least 24 hours (symptom free) and I could tell mom wasn't too impressed, but seemed compliant. I also told her (again) that dcg will need to have extra clothing kept here.

I think it's tough for me b/c I understand that employers aren't understanding when parents have to miss work b/c their children are sick and can't go to daycare. I don't want to be the reason they loose jobs or get into trouble. I know rules are rules and I definitely don't want sick children here to pass around anything but I hate that it seems as if I'm the bad guy. I'll get over it and toughen up though!
Thanks again for everyone's advice.
Unregistered 11:12 AM 12-14-2011
I have in my illness policy that kids with excessively runny noses need to be at home. Even if the snot is clear, I can not and will not be wiping, wiping, wiping all day. Other kids need attention too and if it runs that much it is not allergies. I have sent home with excessive runny noses 2x and both moms agreed its no fun for anyone to be around that child.

I also have in my illness policy that sick kids need to be picked up within 1 hour of the first call I make (even if they don't answer). After 1 hour I call emergency contacts and parents get charged $10 per hour of sick care. If they do answer I remind them they need to be picked up within one hour and ask "so, who will be here by ___ (time) to pick up____?" They get the point.
e.j. 12:27 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by JennyBear:
I think it's tough for me b/c I understand that employers aren't understanding when parents have to miss work b/c their children are sick and can't go to daycare. I don't want to be the reason they loose jobs or get into trouble. I know rules are rules and I definitely don't want sick children here to pass around anything but I hate that it seems as if I'm the bad guy. I'll get over it and toughen up though!
Thanks again for everyone's advice.
You will never be the reason a parent loses a job or gets into trouble for leaving work to pick up a sick kid. It is not your fault that their child is sick. Having kids comes with certain responsibilities and caring for them when they get sick is one of them. Parents may get upset with you for calling them to pick up their child but really, it's not your fault they don't have a back-up plan to deal with this kind of problem.
daycare 12:46 PM 12-14-2011
loose stool will occur after a chld has been sick.
Slight colds should be ok.

YOu really need to make sure that your parents are keeping sufficient amount of supplies at your house at all times. I have in my PHB that it is the parents responsibility to have enough supplies for their child. If your child does not have sufficient amount of supplies to meet their needs while in daycare, your child will be sent home. I have had to do it more than once. I require that the parents check the cubby boxes at least 2 times a week.

Must have in cubby box daily:
2 full changes of clothes, including socks
1 jacket
5-10diapers and 1 package of wipes
1 blanket

I have also turned parents away in the morning becuase they failed to bring the supplies. I make them go home and get them and then they can come back. But NO child will stay here with adequate amount of supplies.
MommieNana4 12:53 PM 12-14-2011
Getting a verbal over-the-phone to give medication is NOT a good thing. If she had a reaction to the medication (Advil) that warranted her being taken to the hospital it would not have been good for you.
daycare 01:07 PM 12-14-2011
Originally Posted by MommieNana4:
Getting a verbal over-the-phone to give medication is NOT a good thing. If she had a reaction to the medication (Advil) that warranted her being taken to the hospital it would not have been good for you.
oh yes this is a very good point to bring up...BTW
starting jan 1st, I will no longer give any form of medication unless:

1. has been prescribed by a doctor
2. has specific written orders by the doctor
3. reason why child must have
4. must be in original bottle came in from the pharmacy
5. parent must fill out permission to administer form each and every time their child takes a different form of medication.
6. this includes OTC meds as well. I will not give OTC meds without doctors orders above stated...
7. provider will keep a log sheet of time and amount given
8. parents will inform provider of any meds given before drop off at daycare and will be required to sign a form stating so.

FYI VERBAL anything is never good in this line of business. You always need to CYA. cover your A$$. Always get it in writing..
Tags:illness policy, sick policy
Reply Up