Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>So Torn! Outside, Or Inside?
SilverSabre25 07:08 AM 03-15-2012
1. Gorgeously warm, but not sunny, day. High of 77 (wild for this time of year!)

2. Forecast of scattered thunderstorms

3. Soggy yard from rain overnight.

In or out? In or out? I can't decide! I don't think all the parents are quite prepared for muddy soggy messy children and I know *I* don't quite have things set up for muddy soggy messy children, so I'm tempted to spend the day inside getting ready for the mud and sog and mess, but then again, it's so WARM it feels like a crime to stay inside!
Zoe 07:10 AM 03-15-2012
I've been dealing with that for a couple of weeks now. Can you take them on a walk before it rains and bring covers in case it starts before you're home? That's what I did while my yard was drying up. Also, do you have a deck or driveway that the kids could play on? 77 is awesome, sunny or not. I say try to enjoy it!
Heidi 07:39 AM 03-15-2012
I am SO glad I sprang for a yard full of wood chips!

Wet, but never muddy. I don't have any infants, though. I'd have to put down mats and do a super-gate thing if I did.
meganlavonnesmommy 11:19 AM 03-15-2012
Our backyard is a complete mud pit when its wet outside. It takes days to dry out. On days like that we take walks outside, or color with chalk in the front sidewalk instead.
Not sure if those are options for you or not.
WImom 11:27 AM 03-15-2012
I've been like that too here. I do take them out to the patio to color or ride bikes but I still feel bad that they can't just run and be free. A little muddy is fine but after big rains where my shoes sloshing around, not so fun.

We are looking into some woodchips in some areas this year since there are spots that are just mud and grass is too hard to grow in the daycare space.
melskids 11:34 AM 03-15-2012
We've been in the mud all week...and I wouldn't have it any other way.

http://mountaintopdaycare.blogspot.c...ve-of-mud.html

I went to class Monday night with it in my hair, as I didn't have time to wash it out between the last pick up and when I had to leave the house. Gave the other girls a good chuckle.
SunshineMama 11:39 AM 03-15-2012
We're staying in. I don't want the divets in my yard, and the grey sky isn't very motivating today. I also dont feel like being on mud cleanup duty today lol.

I saved a bunch of paper towel rolls and we made telescopes for our indoor treasure hunt today.
SilverSabre25 12:00 PM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:

I went to class Monday night with it in my hair, as I didn't have time to wash it out between the last pick up and when I had to leave the house. Gave the other girls a good chuckle.
*snicker* "PLEASE don't send anything you care about, I PROMISE to clean them up as best I can"...hee hee. Sounds like what I've been saying to my daycare parents about my plans to put in a mud pie kitchen and a dirt digging pit (both complete with rain barrels nearby to add to the muddiness)!

It's going to be a HUGE wake-up call for my dcf who think that daycare is an episode of Toddler and Tiaras!
SilverSabre25 12:01 PM 03-15-2012
We ended up staying in *sigh* not because of the mud but because I couldn't manage to get both babies fed and changed and napped before lunch. My DS woke up in Velcro-mode today and would hardly stand to be put down all morning.
Hunni Bee 05:51 PM 03-15-2012
Originally Posted by melskids:

I can't do this though.

One, I'd be drawn and quartered by the dcp's.

Two (and the real reason), I know I couldn't manage the clean up. I'd have to strip everyone down to their underwear outside to avoid ruining the entire daycare (my room is on the second floor) and I can't bathe 7-10 kids from the sink.

I have a Mud Bucket, though (until the Digging Area is ready) and I allow us one occasion of complete mud chaos when we "plant the garden" *evil snicker*. I warn dcp's in advance.
Tags:outside play, weather forecast
Reply Up