Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Advice On Children Misbehaving During Tours With New Clients. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
JLH 09:42 AM 02-13-2013
Yesterday I did a tour and completely bombed it. I really needed it to go well and it was all going well until 2 children started acting out. I have a 2 and a half year old boy with obvious signs of being developmentally delayed (he doesn't talk yet and has no social skills). He always pushes the other kids and he's bigger than most of them. He pushed someone in front of the parent that was doing the tour and then when we took him into the kitchen to calm down, he proceeded to throw a massive tantrum on the floor yelling and crying, and even tried to hit my assistant. The other child that was acting up is a 4 year old boy that has figured out I won't correct him or say no in front of tours and parents. Now he acts out every time a tour comes. Plus, he wants all the attention, all the time. He's cost me a few tours now with his behavior. He started running in the house and asking things over and over, like if he could run in the house or scream in the house. Questions that he obviously knew the answer would be no to, but he wanted to see if I would really say no in front of a tour. So... what do I do? I just got re-licensed and reopened my daycare 5 months ago. I can't really afford to let go of these kids but they're causing me to lose tours and making me lose money at the same time when I'm still trying to get full. What do you guys do with kids that misbehave a lot during tours? Does anyone have any advice? My group is mostly boys that are around 2 to 3 years old so attention spans only last about 3 minutes. If I keep the kids busy I can't focus on the person that is coming over for the tour but if I don't keep the kids busy they go crazy and it looks bad. I feel trapped in a no win situation. By the way, this is our only source of income for a family of 5 so failure is not an option. We NEED to be full and can't keep losing tours.
butterfly 09:47 AM 02-13-2013
Why don't you tell him no infront of interviewing clients? I would!! The interviewing clients need to see that you discpline. I wouldn't allow a child to act that way.

I also would tell the parents that are interviewing that the children like to act up and see what they can get away with when new people are here. As I'm sure they know, but I wouldn't want them to get the impression that this is how things are always run.

Or start doing interviews after hours when the kids aren't there to interrupt.
SunnyDay 09:51 AM 02-13-2013
I don't do tours during daycare hours. My clients would not want random people walking through while their children are present.
countrymom 09:53 AM 02-13-2013
I don't do interviews around the kids. I usually hold them at nap time or when no one is here. I did an interview once when the kids were around the boy hit a dck so the dck hit him back and the parents didn't like the fact that the child was hit back.
MsCathy 09:55 AM 02-13-2013
Hi....I never have tours/interviews during daycare hours. Occasionally I will at rest time but that's it. I always do them in the evenings. I simply explain that I can't give my full attention to the kids and to the interview at that same time.

I would never get any new customers if they saw the way my kids act in front of "visitors"
rmc20021 10:04 AM 02-13-2013
I prefer to do my interviews during business hours so they can see the other kids, and see how things operate and how the kids behave and the discipline I use. The daycare kids always enjoy 'showing' the new possibility around and that can occupy them as well.

BUT...they ALWAYS act up when someone is around. I also have a foster care license and foster children, so I get caseworkers, kids attorneys etc in and out all the time. And every single time the kids will try to act up to see what they can get away with.

I make it clear the same rules apply when someone is here, as they do when there's nobody here, no matter who the adult is.

I once had to put one of my foster children (aged 4) in time out when a caseworker was here...he threw a tantrum, screamed, hit, kicked, threw the chair across the room and when I changed out the wooden chair for a heavy plastic little tykes chair I knew he couldn't destroy, he began banging it on the floor and I eventually took that as well. But they all knew I would discipline them no matter what. Of course this childs behaviors were much worse than a typical child due to the neglect and abuse he'd received at home.

It's hard at that age to find something to do to keep them focused long enough, fortunately mine are at least 3 yo and I can sit them down with play doh...greatest thing on earth.

But at your kids ages, I would continue to stay focused on the kids...playing with them as you speak to the adults, talking to them when possible and keeping them with you if you're moving from one room to another...I know it may be hard, but I'd rather herd them all together, than leave any room for acting out.

Parents should appreciate the fact you are focusing on the kids even in situations which makes it difficult.

If it's too hard to do that, then schedule interviews or your tours when there's the least amount of kids, or when the worst ones are not there. If that doesn't work for you, the only other option would be to do it after hours.
JLH 10:09 AM 02-13-2013
Oh wow! I'm so glad you guys "get it"! That's exactly it. They are good kids until there is a visitor but with the way that act in front of visitors I will never get new kids. I love the idea of holding tours at naptime. I think I've been going about this completely wrong. I'm definitely going to tell people to come at naptime, whereas I used to say no tours at nap. That makes perfect sense to me.
JLH 10:12 AM 02-13-2013
Doesn't it figure that my only 2 kids that are my problem kids, are the only ones that come 5 days a week. lol. Thanks for the advice. Very helpful!
Unregistered 10:17 AM 02-13-2013
Nap time is a great time if evenings aren't convenient. I usually show the family around and then have them sit in the kitchen and go over any questions. I bring a few toys for the child to play with. It works out fine....and much calmer.

I've also had people comment on how impressive it is that all the kids sleep at the same time.

Good luck.... Here in CT...free preschools are really taking away a lot of daycare business so every prospective customer is valuable. First impressions are vital....
Meeko 10:19 AM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
I don't do tours during daycare hours. My clients would not want random people walking through while their children are present.
This!

My daycare parents LOVE the fact that random people aren't wandering through the daycare and interacting with their kids.

I either interview...or take care of my daycare kids.
I don't do both at the same time.

I want to give prospective clients my undivided attention. I want to be able to focus on them and their questions...to "read" their faces and ask lots of questions myself. I want to be able to give their child a lot of attention and get a feel for their personality and so on.
wdmmom 11:29 AM 02-13-2013
I require 3 in person interviews before signing a client on.

If this is a 1st interview, I would do it during naptime or after hours.

2nd interviews are for touring, Q&A session and securing deposit if they are interested.

3rd interview is to tie up any loose ends, get paperwork, signed contract and get a start date ready. If it's a new baby starting that's already secured a deposit, I like to meet the baby and discuss their needs during this meeting.
Meeko 11:40 AM 02-13-2013
Originally Posted by JLH:
Oh wow! I'm so glad you guys "get it"! That's exactly it. They are good kids until there is a visitor but with the way that act in front of visitors I will never get new kids. I love the idea of holding tours at naptime. I think I've been going about this completely wrong. I'm definitely going to tell people to come at naptime, whereas I used to say no tours at nap. That makes perfect sense to me.
I hope it works out better for you!

Just a thought though.....what will you do if they bring a child to interview who wants to pull out all the toys, run around, be loud, screams when told they have to leave (happens a lot when I interview because they don't want to stop playing with all the toys).... etc and wakes up all your napping kids? Will your nappers coming running?
JLH 02:13 PM 02-13-2013
We have 2 siblings that get picked up every day during nap and the children have gotten accustomed to sleeping through their noise. All I can do is hope and pray that they sleep through tours too. lol
Meeko 02:17 PM 02-13-2013
We have 2 siblings that get picked up every day during nap and the children have gotten accustomed to sleeping through their noise. All I can do is hope and pray that they sleep through tours too. lol
Go for it!
grandmom 02:17 PM 02-13-2013
If you absolutely must have a tour during business hours do this:

Schedule one with a friend who the kids haven't met. Tell the kids ahead of time that you expect good behavior. And then discipline the kids strongly. You may have to have several friend interviews before the kids get it.

I'd just do it after hours.
Mom&Provider 05:11 PM 02-13-2013
This is the reason I don't do interviews during working hours. I have a small group and can't imagine possibly giving a family my proper attention with little ones running around everywhere!?

I would suggest having interviews after working hours or have your assistant take everyone outside while you stay inside to complete the tour.
Auntie'sHouse 05:13 AM 02-14-2013
Parents knock on my door during daycare hours but i make it very clear i never do interviews when the children are present for their safety...i trust no one!!!! I think it also makes the parents feel good about leaving their children with me...
LK5kids 10:53 AM 02-14-2013
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
Me too!
Tags:interview tour
Reply Up