Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas

Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas Post breakfast items, lunch items, and snack items that are all child friendly here. Each posting should include ONLY ONE meal option. The SUBJECT of each message should be ONLY the name of the food you are describing.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Blessed

Default Crockpot Whole Chicken

I would love some ideas for crockpot meals that use whole chicken, not just thighs or chicken breast. I got a package of 3 chickens from Costco.

I made a batch of soup with one.

Today I put celery, carrots, potatoes on bottom of crockpot with chicken on top.
I seasoned it with hot sauce, garlic, lemon, s&p.

But I need some new ideas - sauces, different veg or something - otherwise I can see that chicken staying in the freezer for a while!

Please help
Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM
Daycare.com Member

I do soup one day, then thicken the leftovers with some wheat flour, line pans with biscuits and top with 'soup' for a homemade chicken pot pie. I also put it over rice or potatoes for chicken ala king. I do a whole chicken crock pot meal atleast once a week!
Old 02-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycarediva View Post
I do soup one day, then thicken the leftovers with some wheat flour, line pans with biscuits and top with 'soup' for a homemade chicken pot pie. I also put it over rice or potatoes for chicken ala king. I do a whole chicken crock pot meal atleast once a week!
Thank you. Chicken pot pie sounds good! Do you make your own biscuits or buy them? Could you let me know a recipe or brand please.
Old 02-21-2013, 05:18 PM
Daycare.com Member

I usually use bisquick mix (not my style at all but my kids LOVE it), but have used pillsbury crescent rolls before and lined cupcake tins for individual pot pies.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I roast a whole chicken and make stock all the time in my crockpot.

Cut 3 or 4 onions in half to make a base for the chicken to sit.
Wash and dry chicken and rub with spices.
Place the chicken on top of the onions.
Cook on high for 5-6 hours. Don't add any liquid!
Pull meat off the chicken with tongs. The chicken will fall apart when you cut into it so I remove the meat right in the crockpot.
Add a celery stick, carrot and bay leaf.
Fill with water and turn to low.
Leave overnight and wake up to yummy stock.
Make soup or freeze in jars for later.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:16 AM
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyou View Post
I roast a whole chicken and make stock all the time in my crockpot.

Cut 3 or 4 onions in half to make a base for the chicken to sit.
Wash and dry chicken and rub with spices.
Place the chicken on top of the onions.
Cook on high for 5-6 hours. Don't add any liquid!
Pull meat off the chicken with tongs. The chicken will fall apart when you cut into it so I remove the meat right in the crockpot.
Add a celery stick, carrot and bay leaf.
Fill with water and turn to low.
Leave overnight and wake up to yummy stock.
Make soup or freeze in jars for later.

Thanks! I really appreciate the ideas.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:38 AM
New Daycare.com Member

OMG I just read this an it's amazing. I never would have thought to use the crockpot to make my stock.
I make a whole chicken usually once a week and we have soup later in the week. MY kids just love brown rice soup.
Thanks for the wonderful idea. It makes my clean up and cooking time so much easier now.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:41 AM
Preschool Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothewoods View Post
OMG I just read this an it's amazing. I never would have thought to use the crockpot to make my stock.
I make a whole chicken usually once a week and we have soup later in the week. MY kids just love brown rice soup.
Thanks for the wonderful idea. It makes my clean up and cooking time so much easier now.
How do you make your brown rice soup?
Old 03-16-2013, 10:29 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

thanks for the ideas. I usually buy the already cooked chicken at coscto (3 at a time) its our favorite.

Tags
chicken, crock pot, crockpot - whole chicken