Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Overwhelmed-advice please
Onawhim 05:46 AM 06-30-2015
Today is my first day with a full house all 8 dcks. Two 6 year olds, a 4 year old, two 3 year olds, two 2 year olds and a year old. And I am feeling very overwhelmed already. I know once I get onto having them all again it'll be fun but until then it's craziness! They are all super excited to see each other. Any advice on how to make it through?
kendallina 05:54 AM 06-30-2015
With that age spread, make sure that the older kids understand that they're there to help the younger ones. Help them understand that when the 2-year old takes something, well, he's two so don't bully it back from him or get upset. Instead have the older kids ask the 2-year old to give it back, etc. And then give the older kids some extra lee-way with things. I let my older kids go out in the fenced in backyard as soon as they're done with snack, while I stay in with the youngers as they finish up, etc. These two things have been lifesavers for me this summer...

Have fun today!!
Heidi 05:57 AM 06-30-2015
Get outside! Since it's summer, that'd be my #1 strategy for dealing with a crowd like that.

#2...give them work. I mean, assign chores to everyone 2+, like setting the table, helping prepare lunch, wiping the table, sweeping, feeding fish, watering plants, dusting, and anything else you can think of. Have a daily "chore time", or make up a chore chart. Even if they're work isn't done perfectly, it gives them a sense of responsibility and takes a little off the load off you. Most kids love to help.

#3-Assign a "buddy" to the older children. Let them help you with that child, getting shoes on, bibs, etc.
childcaremom 08:05 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by kendallina:
With that age spread, make sure that the older kids understand that they're there to help the younger ones. Help them understand that when the 2-year old takes something, well, he's two so don't bully it back from him or get upset. Instead have the older kids ask the 2-year old to give it back, etc. And then give the older kids some extra lee-way with things. I let my older kids go out in the fenced in backyard as soon as they're done with snack, while I stay in with the youngers as they finish up, etc. These two things have been lifesavers for me this summer...

Have fun today!!
I have a big age spread and do a lot of this, as well. I have also created 2 play areas so that the littles can play separately from the big kids when they are getting a little too physical. The bigger ones can then be more active and not have to worry about the littles. I also will set up activities for the older ones and they can check those out without the littles getting them, and so on.

Second the outdoor time, too.
nothingwithoutjoy 09:39 AM 06-30-2015
As much outside time as you can, plus some good rich sensory play. Shaving cream? Water? Playdough? Mud? There's lots of clean-up involved, but it's worth it for the good long focused play.

It'll get easier as you get into routines. I've got kids on vacation this week, and 5 kids seems tiny compared to the 8 I've had the past two weeks. Your perspective shifts.
Onawhim 10:06 AM 06-30-2015
We made it through the bulk of the day. We did an hour outside but the bugs here are terrible!! 3 more hours!! I was use to have 3-4 kids 3 days a week and 5-6 2 days a week so this is a big jump.
Annalee 11:24 AM 06-30-2015
Originally Posted by Onawhim:
We made it through the bulk of the day. We did an hour outside but the bugs here are terrible!! 3 more hours!! I was use to have 3-4 kids 3 days a week and 5-6 2 days a week so this is a big jump.
My days are always a little crazy in summer...so many on vacations or with other family members. It does give me a break, though, until we get more structured for preschool in September. In the summer, as long as meals & naps are on schedule, I am good with that!
Controlled Chaos 12:45 PM 06-30-2015
Give it time It will become the new normal. I have had a light week (my folk are in town so they have been taking my kids on adventures leaving me with only 6 kids...feels empty lol).

Get a routine. Do a sensory activity everyday. Then have the big kids show the littles how to stack blocks/look at books/do a puzzle while you clean up.
Establish different areas or centers you can separate the kids in. A baby block area, a big kid doll area, a coloring area etc. I think 9 kids in my small space doesn't feel like a lot because there are never more than 3 in one area.
Reply Up