Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Walk Thru Baby Gate....
acuda73 07:36 AM 01-19-2014
I have a 2.5 yr old that can open the gate and don't know what to do...do I really have to go buy a different walk-thru gate? He has watched the other kids open it and now I can't keep him out of the kitchen.
Blackcat31 08:00 AM 01-19-2014
Welcome to the forum!

I use this one. The latch is a twist and lift method that requires an adult hand to operate. I also teach the kids that the boundary to NOT cross is actually before the gate so none of my kids ever touch the gate themselves.

http://www.amazon.com/Sure-Secure-De...ough+baby+gate
acuda73 09:18 AM 01-19-2014
The one I have now is a slide and lift....I'm afraid to spend the money and only have him learn how to open that one also I saw a pic of a gate made from the bottom half of a door and a slide latch on the kitchen side of the door.......
Blackcat31 09:25 AM 01-19-2014
Originally Posted by acuda73:
The one I have now is a slide and lift....I'm afraid to spend the money and only have him learn how to open that one also I saw a pic of a gate made from the bottom half of a door and a slide latch on the kitchen side of the door.......
My DH is a woodworker and on one of my doors he just cut it in half and added hardware to make it a half door.

Here is a picture of my half/whole door. Post #13 https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...202#post390202

I think at the age of 2.5 yrs though you are better off just teaching him proper boundaries and not relying on the gate to keep him in or out of something.

2.5 is plenty old enough to listen and follow your rules.
Sugar Magnolia 09:48 AM 01-19-2014
I'm with Black Cat, I would definitely try "No. Close the gate please. You can't come in here right now." before you invest in a new gate.
acuda73 02:29 PM 01-20-2014
the boundary rule has worked as long as I am not in the kitchen but as soon as I am in there he wants to 'help'..... I have asked his mother for permission to allow him in when I am in there to prepare his snack/lunch so he can 'help' and she was fine with that I will probably still do the dutch door though......
Thank you so much for your help.
Tags:baby gate
Reply Up