Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Half Day?
Unregistered 11:01 AM 03-30-2021
A parent signed their child up for a summer camp for one week a few hours a day and wants to bring their child the rest of the day to daycare. She asked if I’d hold a plate of lunch back for her kid when she gets here at 12:15 ish.

Would you allow drop off in the middle of the day?

I kind of feel like a jerk if I don’t allow it but also feel like the parent shouldn’t have just expected I’d allow drop offs that late and hold back a lunch for her kid.

How do I nicely tell her she can’t drop her off that late??
Snowmom 11:18 AM 03-30-2021
"My program doesn't allow me to change the schedule and sufficiently supervise all the children in group care here. I'm afraid I'm just not able to accept a drop in mid-day."
Blackcat31 11:24 AM 03-30-2021
I require kids to be present 15-30 minutes prior to lunch being served. We eat at noon. I would not save a plate nor allow drop off in the middle of a meal and/or rest time.

This is the parents to issue to figure out as one family doesn’t have the right to mess up everyone else’s routine.
e.j. 11:26 AM 03-30-2021
I've had preschoolers come in during lunch and it has worked out ok for me. They're usually exhausted by nap time and go right to sleep. I wouldn't allow younger kids to come in at that time, though, because usually, they've napped or slept late in the morning and can be very disruptive. If it doesn't work for you, though, I'd just tell the parent that and tell her she'll have to find alternative care for that day.
Cat Herder 12:00 PM 03-30-2021
I don't allow drop-offs after breakfast. Our planned day has begun at that point. (barring pre-arranged well checks with updated forms from doctors office)

With so many teachers here I would go crazy, otherwise.

They have a tendency to want to sleep in then drop them off late all summer and breaks. Nope. I refuse to work harder in the summer or on school closure days for people who don't even have to go to work at all that day.

I love the teachers and all, but they should know better than anyone why that can't fly. Kids who are off-schedule are moody, disruptive and make everyone else's day go south. Especially if they thought they were staying home and settled in.
284878 12:21 PM 03-30-2021
I feel each situation is different, based on parents, child, (the rest of the crew), and time of the day. This would be a no-go for me even though, I have done 1/2 days in the past.
Gemma 07:21 AM 03-31-2021
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I require kids to be present 15-30 minutes prior to lunch being served. We eat at noon. I would not save a plate nor allow drop off in the middle of a meal and/or rest time.

This is the parents to issue to figure out as one family doesn’t have the right to mess up everyone else’s routine.
This is me as well
Sunshine69 07:31 AM 03-31-2021
I would take the child for a half day as long as the child is still able to nap at nap time.

I would not hold lunch if lunch is served and cleaned up earlier than the child arrives. I make an exception on that rule within 20 minutes of scheduled lunch if the child is attending half-day pre-k because the parent doesn’t control the bus schedule and has to send their child to school. Summer camp is a choice so I would leave it up to the parent to make sure the child is fed before they’re dropped off.

I wouldn’t be giving a discount as they’re still taking up a spot.
Tags:half day care, late arrivals, late drop off, late drop offs, late for meals
Reply Up