Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Feeling Disrespected
Unregistered 04:18 AM 01-02-2017
I hate this constant feeling that my daycare parents don't respect me.

Before the holidays, I sent a very detailed email about taking some time off and that I needed to know what children would be attending on the days I am open and who would not be. I had several requests from families that don't normally attend to possibly take their children, and I looked at it as an opportunity to make a little extra money.
Well, my first day open after Christmas was last Tuesday and 3 families suddenly decide to keep their kids home because they aren't working. Not only did I turn away kids, and lose that potential income, one of the families that was scheduled to attend didn't bother to pay me for that day.
I was off Thurs and Fri and reopen today. It is Monday and I also specifically asked people if their kids would be attending today. All 8 kids were supposed to attend. It is also payday Monday, and I am supposed to be paid for the week at drop off time.
Last night I start receiving text messages; 'we won't be there tomorrow as I don't have to work' over and over. 'My child won't be attending....over and over'. So I end up with 1, possibly 2 out of 8 kids attending. Yes, it will be an easier day, but I also now have 5 families not paying me today and I am mad! There is no way they just found out on Sunday evening that their work was closed! There is no way that they could not have communicated this with me at an earlier date and left me a check for today's payment. Now I am in a pickle with bills hitting today. I did end up telling 2 families that live close by that they need to run a check over this morning.
And, only one family said 'thank you' for the parent gifts and the gift I gave to their child. It is always a ton of work to make the parent gifts, but the kids really love doing it, so we continue to do it.
I do not know what is going on here, but I end up feeling so disrespected on a daily basis. I don't know how much clearer I can get with my communication and I don't want to start sounding 'bitchy' in every email/text.
How do you all handle this feeling when you have it?
Cat Herder 04:47 AM 01-02-2017
We have all been there. Being disrespected and working in the service field kind of go hand in hand. There is a movement to change our industry from "service" to "education", in the hopes of fixing that, but it will take a generation or two.

I handled it by closing any loopholes families had to my peace, my money and my time.

Pay in advance.

Tuition not based on attendance.

Arrival cut-off times.

Set schedules.

I decide if I am open or closed, no in-between. If I am open, they pay tuition whether they attend or not.

It is not "bitchy" to expect to be paid for your services. Be strong.
Second Home 05:07 AM 01-02-2017
All my families know that they pay in advance on the first scheduled day of the week . If they choose to keep their child home they still need to pay on the first scheduled day or they will be assessed the late fee ( $10 per day ) .

So they can either pay on the last day of care the week before , stop by on the first day of care even though the child will be absent or pay the late fee .

I also charge for the spot not attendance . If they keep their child home regardless of the reason and I am open then they owe for that day .
midaycare 05:24 AM 01-02-2017
Good advice above. Definitely pay for the spot, not attendance. Of course that also means you will have a lot more kids on parents' day off (they want their moneys' worth!)

I didn't do parent crafts this year and it felt amazing. I bought gifts for the kids, $15 each.

I decide when I'm open and closed, and since parents pay - the kids are generally here. No staying home to save money.

I have had very few problems with payments, but a few here and there. Parents spend too much at Christmas and my check bounces type of thing. I have a dcf right now that has a cash only pay because of too many bounced checks.
Unregistered 05:31 AM 01-02-2017
OP here. I have very well written policies in place, they just don't follow them. I sent a text message at 5 pm yesterday, just got a response this morning at 5:15 am. You can't tell me it takes 12 hours to respond. A 2nd family never responded at all. I still don't know if they are coming.

My policies also say I need 48 hours notice on schedule changes (unless the child is ill) AND I am to be paid on time regardless of attendance.

So frustrating.
Cat Herder 05:49 AM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
OP here. I have very well written policies in place, they just don't follow them.
What does your contract say will happen if they don't?

Do that.

Every single time.
Play Care 05:58 AM 01-02-2017
OP here. I have very well written policies in place, they just don't follow them. I sent a text message at 5 pm yesterday, just got a response this morning at 5:15 am. You can't tell me it takes 12 hours to respond. A 2nd family never responded at all. I still don't know if they are coming.

My policies also say I need 48 hours notice on schedule changes (unless the child is ill) AND I am to be paid on time regardless of attendance.

So frustrating.
I agree with Cat Herder. Your polices are only as good as your enforcement of them.

I used to have a sign up sheet for these days. There was a three family minimum, and if they signed up they had to prepay, and the money was not refundable if they changed their minds. This forces them to really think about if they want to send their kids or not, as well if I didn't make my numbers they could see it in black and white if I was open.
If no one signed up because they wanted to wait and see, I would just be closed.
Took the guess work and anixety out of it.
Now I'm just closed with pay.
Second Home 07:37 AM 01-02-2017

So frustrating.
I have found that there has to be a large consequence
(usually a big inconvenience) to the actions ( or lack of actions) for some dcp to follow the policies whether it is a large late fee or denied care .
Leigh 12:27 PM 01-02-2017

So frustrating.
Text them all a reminder: This is a courtesy text to remind you that payment is due by 5PM today to avoid a $1,000,000 late fee. Please drop off by 5PM.
nanglgrl 10:03 AM 01-02-2017
I hate this constant feeling that my daycare parents don't respect me.

Before the holidays, I sent a very detailed email about taking some time off and that I needed to know what children would be attending on the days I am open and who would not be. I had several requests from families that don't normally attend to possibly take their children, and I looked at it as an opportunity to make a little extra money.
Well, my first day open after Christmas was last Tuesday and 3 families suddenly decide to keep their kids home because they aren't working. Not only did I turn away kids, and lose that potential income, one of the families that was scheduled to attend didn't bother to pay me for that day.
I was off Thurs and Fri and reopen today. It is Monday and I also specifically asked people if their kids would be attending today. All 8 kids were supposed to attend. It is also payday Monday, and I am supposed to be paid for the week at drop off time.
Last night I start receiving text messages; 'we won't be there tomorrow as I don't have to work' over and over. 'My child won't be attending....over and over'. So I end up with 1, possibly 2 out of 8 kids attending. Yes, it will be an easier day, but I also now have 5 families not paying me today and I am mad! There is no way they just found out on Sunday evening that their work was closed! There is no way that they could not have communicated this with me at an earlier date and left me a check for today's payment. Now I am in a pickle with bills hitting today. I did end up telling 2 families that live close by that they need to run a check over this morning.
And, only one family said 'thank you' for the parent gifts and the gift I gave to their child. It is always a ton of work to make the parent gifts, but the kids really love doing it, so we continue to do it.
I do not know what is going on here, but I end up feeling so disrespected on a daily basis. I don't know how much clearer I can get with my communication and I don't want to start sounding 'bitchy' in every email/text.
How do you all handle this feeling when you have it?
Ah the problem of us women being afraid to be assertive because when a woman is assertive it's called being bitchy. I've never heard a man afraid of this. We've all been there. I finally had to do a lot of things that might have seemed bitchy to clients but it paid off. Just fill in any loopholes, make a policy about it, be very clear with parents about whT you will and will not put up with and give consequences.
ColorfulSunburst 08:37 PM 01-02-2017
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Ah the problem of us women being afraid to be assertive because when a woman is assertive it's called being bitchy. I've never heard a man afraid of this.
OK, I am a man :-)
If someone calls me a bitch, I always answer " I know I am".
DaveA 04:11 AM 01-03-2017
Originally Posted by nanglgrl:
Ah the problem of us women being afraid to be assertive because when a woman is assertive it's called being bitchy. I've never heard a man afraid of this.
Nah- we get called jacka@@ or SOBs when we do it.

Seriously- what PPs said- close loopholes in your policies, tailor them to fit YOUR needs, and enforce them. Not fun initially, but much better in the long run.
Madeline 04:30 PM 01-02-2017
As a parent I also say hold them accountable to your policies. By nature I appreciate understanding the rules and try to hold myself accountable to them. I'd be upset if I knew other parents didn't have to follow the same rules that I was following.

In the spirit of treating all of your clients the same so that they all trust you to be fair across the board I'd hold everyone accountable the same way. There's nothing bitchy about that. If my work called me at the last minute and told me we were closed and I wasn't getting paid I'd be job hunting, you could be family hunting.
Tags:backbone, business management, enforcing policies - consistency, paying in advance, time management
Reply Up