Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Christmas Eve/Day- Payments On Sat/Sun ??
jojosmommy 07:55 AM 09-27-2011
Christmas Eve and Day fall on a Sat and Sunday this year. I have it written in my contract both are paid holidays however I don't think its fair to charge for a Sat and Sun when parents never have their kids here those days. Someone just turned in their remaining dates for vacation and put those two down. I feel like it would be unfair to use up their vacation on two days I am never open (sat/sun) anyway. I am also usually closed the following week.

What are you doing for this holiday sched and payment wise?
Meyou 08:02 AM 09-27-2011
I'm closed Tuesday in lieu of Sunday. I'm also closed Monday for Boxing Day in Canada. They will still pay me for a full week. Most business's other than retail will be closed Monday and Tuesday here anyway so my families expect "in lieu" closures to match the bank holidays.
odskids 08:12 AM 09-27-2011
Most working parents will get Friday as the paid day for Saturday (Christmas eve) and Monday for the paid holiday for Sunday (Christmas). Same holds for New Years day since it falls on a Sunday too this year, you would get that Monday. That is what I put on my calendar and always take the week between Christmas and New years as vacation anyways so it's a couple days extra for me this year! You should do the same, you deserve those paid vacation days!!
Meeko 08:14 AM 09-27-2011
I get paid for Christmas and New Year too.

I have it in my contract that I am closed those days with pay or on the nearest observed day. If the holiday falls on a weekend, I am closed on the "observed" date.

So if a holiday falls on a Sunday, I am closed with pay on Monday. If the holiday falls on a Saturday, I am closed with pay on the Friday before.

Don't give away your paid holidays because they fall on a weekend!
mom2many 08:22 AM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I get paid for Christmas and New Year too.

I have it in my contract that I am closed those days with pay or on the nearest observed day. If the holiday falls on a weekend, I am closed on the "observed" date.

So if a holiday falls on a Sunday, I am closed with pay on Monday. If the holiday falls on a Saturday, I am closed with pay on the Friday before.

Don't give away your paid holidays because they fall on a weekend!
I was just discussing this with my hubby! I have always gotten paid for the 24, 25 and 26 per my contract and need to make a change to ensure I get paid for the holidays this year since they fall on the weekend. I will updating and making this change today!
MarinaVanessa 09:03 AM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Christmas Eve and Day fall on a Sat and Sunday this year. I have it written in my contract both are paid holidays however I don't think its fair to charge for a Sat and Sun when parents never have their kids here those days. Someone just turned in their remaining dates for vacation and put those two down. I feel like it would be unfair to use up their vacation on two days I am never open (sat/sun) anyway. I am also usually closed the following week.

What are you doing for this holiday sched and payment wise?
I'm with you. I'm not charging this year for Christmas and Christmas Eve since they fall on Saturday and Sun. I'm calling it their Christmas present. I am however adding a note on their invoices reflecting this so that they KNOW that I should have closed and gotten paid but instead will stay open.
AnneCordelia 09:09 AM 09-27-2011
I also take off a paid day in lieu of christmas and New Years. I take off the day the bank's observe...so Dec 27th for Christmas and January 2 for New Years. Off and paid.
momma2girls 09:35 AM 09-27-2011
I have it in my contract- all Holidays paid, regardless on days that they land on- if they land on a Sat. then I take Fri. off as a paid Holiday.
If it lands on a Sun. I will take Mon. off and as the paid Holiday.
If both Sat. and Sun. taking the Fri. and Mon. off as paid holidays!!
daycare 09:39 AM 09-27-2011
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
I have it in my contract- all Holidays paid, regardless on days that they land on- if they land on a Sat. then I take Fri. off as a paid Holiday.
If it lands on a Sun. I will take Mon. off and as the paid Holiday.
If both Sat. and Sun. taking the Fri. and Mon. off as paid holidays!!
Ditto this forme too
renodeb 09:51 AM 09-27-2011
The way xmas falls this year should not effect payments. I take eve/day and day after off no matter how it falls. I wouldnt charge them for sat and sunday if your off those days any ways.
Debbie
wdmmom 09:54 AM 09-27-2011
I am closed Friday for Christmas Eve and Monday for Christmas Day. I also took off Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday as personal days and Friday for New Years Eve and the following Monday for New Years day. Any parent that has payment due December 24 - January 2nd is due in full December 23rd.
Tags:christmas, new years, paid holidays
Reply Up