Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>After School Care/Rate
kcnjason 01:04 PM 07-23-2012
School will be starting very soon and this will be the first year that I will have a few "after school" kids. I am unsure of what to charge. Do I charge and hourly rate, set rate, what do others do for after school care?
Country Kids 01:13 PM 07-23-2012
I'm $75 a month for before or after school care.
$100 a month for before and after school care.
melissa ann 01:39 PM 07-23-2012
When I had sa kids I charged $50/week.
I know the daycare center down the street charges $75/week but doesn't include no school days and $90 to include no school days so your kids is guaranteed a spot for those days.
Nickel 04:52 PM 07-23-2012
Here the ymca does after school care at the school for $160/mnth to include early release days. No school days are an additional fee and then they have spring break camp.

The base is on a tiered rating system, but they charge about $40-50/week. I was thinking of doing school age care and charging about $35/week but only to the school down the street. It's a tough call because they can really be self sufficient or a total nightmare.

The biggest thing I think is having a schedule after school. Pick up snack, homework, play. It will prevent them from acting crazy in your home. I have a girl scout troop and there are days when they are just wild and drive me nuts!!! Other days they are little angles
momma2girls 07:03 PM 07-23-2012
Around here the rate is $50-$80.00 per week for both before and after school.
daycarediva 03:04 AM 07-24-2012
I charge $75/w for before and/or after school. Half days from school are an additional $5, full days off are an additional $15 (so $150/w in summer)

Still not worth it, imo. The school aged kids are more hassle then my infant. (and they whine more)
DCMom 05:47 AM 07-24-2012
I charge $50/wk for before OR after; $75/wk for before AND after and $100/wk for before, after and guaranteed spot for school off days and summer. They must choose a rate and have a set schedule at the time of signing the contract. If they choose before and/or after options, they are NOT guaranteed a spot on a school off day.

I have always done school age care and never had as many issues as I have had in the last few years. I only take school-age if they have a sibling here full time; half of my kids are school aged and aging out this year. I'm taking the opportunity to phase out school age care completely in the fall. I prefer the pre-schoolers anyway; the hard part will be turning away my former kids next summer because they always want to come back for a day or two.

I have often thought a SA only daycare would be great for someone enjoys school age; the problems with SA comes with mixing them with preschoolers, IMHO.
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 07-24-2012
Originally Posted by DCMom:
I charge $50/wk for before OR after; $75/wk for before AND after and $100/wk for before, after and guaranteed spot for school off days and summer. They must choose a rate and have a set schedule at the time of signing the contract. If they choose before and/or after options, they are NOT guaranteed a spot on a school off day.

I have always done school age care and never had as many issues as I have had in the last few years. I only take school-age if they have a sibling here full time; half of my kids are school aged and aging out this year. I'm taking the opportunity to phase out school age care completely in the fall. I prefer the pre-schoolers anyway; the hard part will be turning away my former kids next summer because they always want to come back for a day or two.

I have often thought a SA only daycare would be great for someone enjoys school age; the problems with SA comes with mixing them with preschoolers, IMHO.
Love your method fro handling the SA rates.....seems reasonable and good for both you and the families.

I also phased out SA care a while back and no matter where you draw the line, there is a group that missed being able to come back

I also agree 110% that the problem isn't SA kids...it is when they are mixed with other age groups. I wouldn't mind any ONE age group just so long as it is not mixed with any other group.
Reply Up