Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare's with Employees/Helpers....
Abigail 10:42 PM 01-23-2013
What is your policy on being sick? How many sick days are "okay" and what kind of advance notice do you require?

I have someone who missed a lot of days back in the fall mostly because of her child, but sometimes she was gone 3 days in a row when I feel that she should have "split" the sick days with her husband or other family so she could come to work. I didn't "NEED" help for the ratio then and now I do since I'm going on maternity leave any day now.......ok or weeks if I go til 40 weeks. She was sick looking on Tuesday and texted (which I have told her a few times to CALL not text) telling me she was really sick possibly flu and that she wouldn't be in today. She texted last night not too late so it was okay.

Now I don't know if she is coming tomorrow yet, but it's not my responsibility to ask how she is or ask if she is coming in. Last time I would call she wouldn't answer so I would text and immediately she would text back saying she was still sick and didn't know so I just didn't contact her at all this time just wondering if she will show up. Sometimes she has texted or called at 7:30 when I have all the kids arriving saying she is sick or can't make it which really screwed me over cause I don't do my meals in advance and can't bring any kids to the kitchen (daycare is separate from home space) so that day everything was random food that met food program but it was not fun.

Anyways, what are your general policies? I know the daycare I use to work at before opening my own I didn't miss many days at all, maybe 2 all year? Once I was sick puking until I had to go in and I just needed to go in during nap to "be a body" for ratio even though kids slept but my boss was nice and let me sit off away from kids with my bucket in case I needed it and when the first few left at the end of nap I was able to go. lol. I'm not in the position where I feel I can say "You NEED to come in puking or not" but I feel she misses a lot of days. Maybe 10 days now since August? 2-3 days in arow a few times.

What do you write on their time sheet? I don't have a handbook that says any days missed are excused or unexcused. I use to write "sick" but now for 2013 records should I write "Texted in Ill" or "Called In Night Before" or what?
Play Care 03:04 AM 01-24-2013
I would address it with her. I make it clear during interviews that this is a "real" job and being reliable is a part of that. Personally I wouldn't want my assistant to come if she were sick, but I use her for my sanity not for numbers I would say 3-5 sick days per year sounds reasonable but then she needs to call you to let you know ASAP.
daycarediva 03:44 AM 01-24-2013
Is this her first year working in child care?

I was sick a LOT my first year. I really WOULD have called in 10+ times if I had a 'real' job. I think when you are a childcare provider, you can't allow those days where "I am just so exhausted from being sick..." you HAVE to be more reliable.

I think the last thing you want is to have to deal with 3 days in a row absent while you are on maternity leave. Closing daycare or coming in yourself, etc.

Maybe that type of conversation can be had now. "I know that you haven't been feeling well, but your absences are becoming excessive. In child care we have to be reliable for parents as they are depending upon us. If you are absent more then X times in the next X months, I will have to find someone else."
daycare 12:04 PM 01-24-2013
I would sit and talk with her about this concern of yours. Really its all that you can do to see if you can fix things.

Yes, she may be getting more sick due to working with the daycare kids, but this means she needs to take better care if herself if she intends to keep the job. I would let her know that she needs to be more dependable since you are going to be heavily relying on her for your maternity leave.

My hubsand had to stay fit, pass test and what not to keep his job as a firefighter. He knew this when he took on the job. Same thing with her. IF she plans to work with kids then she needs to do what is necessary to prepare for the job.

I give my asst 5 sick days per year. Her son was really sick in december and between herself, husband and mom they took good care of him.

working at a daycare is NO different than any other job and she needs to understand this.

I would tell her that unless it's an absolute emergency that she needs to be at work. If she does not think that she can do this, then she needs to go. I would also require a doc note for her or her child the next time they are out ill.

Did the two of you sign a contract when she started that outlined all of this?
wdmmom 12:08 PM 01-24-2013
I address sick days when I interview. I don't do sick days. Unless you are contagious (after being diagnosed from a doctor), you have a schedule and you come to work. I don't call off sick, you don't call off sick.

My daycare parents don't care if I'm sick or not, I don't care if my staff assistant is sick or not. When we have several sets of parents relying on us, it's part of the job!
Abigail 12:18 PM 01-24-2013
I didn't have any of my employees sign a contract. I am starting my second year in child care and have RARELY been sick because I keep it clean and wash my hands. This girl I remind a lot, still a few times, to wash hands after changing a diaper. I even see parents change a diaper once in a blue moon here and they don't wash their hands and it grosses me out, lol.

She is gone for unusual things and even keeps her son home from K if he has a cough. I have even let her bring him in THREE times and one of those three times, most recently 2 weeks ago, he was actually contagious but none of us got it because he stayed in the nap room half the day til nap started then went home and had his own bed. STILL I have been flexible. I've given her 4-5 pay "advances" even though it was earned it was paid part the first week and the rest at the next week's final payperiod date. I get irritated because she talks about how her family wants her to get a better paying job but she says she likes it here she doesn't have to be on her feet cashiering or in an assembly line kind of work.

She doesn't have childcare experience, but I did match her pay at $8.50 (was 8.25 at her other job) to get her here. I really can't "warn her or she is gone" because I don't have anyone. This summer after maternity leave I will be interviewing again trying my best to find someone with a passion in child care just like my current new helper. When this morning girl comes late or calls in, I don't have anyone because my afternoon new helper is a full time college student with lots of potential.

So do you have advice for creating a handbook or contract for employees and topics to include about being on time and NOT texting when missing work? I certainly will talk to her about if she has something come up and needs to contact me that 5:30 am IS NOT OKAY because it's not like I have someone to call at 6 or 7 am to come in for the day. It's just me and my husband here and my afternoon helper who can't come in for the day so why should I have to be woke up at 5:30 am? I'm just more angry now because I'm hormonal.

I'm also over ratio on T/TH for 2 more weeks until another child's birthday. I'm at 1.38 and the limit is 1.34 for one provider. Yes i only have 7 children here with my license for 12, but I shouldn't have to have my husband be up and helping. He is home today so it was nice, but he doesn't have the basics for childcare and I'm not going to "train" my husband, lol. He will get his "training" soon enough with our own child. LOL

I'm scared to be firm with her also because I can't read her and if she gets mad and walks I would be left working because I have wayyyy to many great families to close daycare. I just don't want my business to fall apart and am trying not to stress.
daycare 12:24 PM 01-24-2013
so what you don't want is for her to know that right now she has you eating out of the palm of her hand. You need her more than it sounds like she needs you??

Your other employee does she have any one she knows at her school that would be willing to help out as a perm employee or as a back up?

Hate to also say this, but when push comes to shove in a family business, your husband is going to have to help. Despite recent issues, my husband has had to help to keep me within ratios, to keep things running smoothly and so on. Its not like it will be forever, but this girl just sounds way to wishy washy and it's not good stress for you especially being prego....

I can share with you my employee contract...
Play Care 12:35 PM 01-24-2013
I pay my assistants $10-15 per hour based on experience. I found when I paid the bare minimum, I got the bare minimum. I don't use them all day, every day though. Just a thought.
kitykids3 12:39 PM 01-24-2013
Have a talk with her. In the meantime, you can't put up ads and be looking for someone new? I had issues with my employee a couple months ago about always being late and calling off 4 times in 6 weeks (she only works 3 days a week part time). I told her that I have families that need us. If she isn't feeling well she needs to still be here. If she questions it, then she calls me and ask if I need her because of ratios or being contagious. She was sick last week, but she made sure she had dr. note from the ER. Other than that, she's been better. I personally do not 'allow' sick days, but what are you going to do if they are really sick. Make sure she's taking care of herself so she doesn't get sick as often and someone else should be helping to watch her child (dad) when he's sick.
itlw8 01:03 PM 01-24-2013
It does not sound like you can depend on her to be there during your maternity leave. If it was me I would start looking for someone new now. If you find someone you like the day they start you call the current person aside and let her go. You do not give notice as you do not want someone mad around the children.

Do update your employee handbook before hiring someone new.
Abigail 07:38 PM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
so what you don't want is for her to know that right now she has you eating out of the palm of her hand. You need her more than it sounds like she needs you??

Your other employee does she have any one she knows at her school that would be willing to help out as a perm employee or as a back up?

Hate to also say this, but when push comes to shove in a family business, your husband is going to have to help. Despite recent issues, my husband has had to help to keep me within ratios, to keep things running smoothly and so on. Its not like it will be forever, but this girl just sounds way to wishy washy and it's not good stress for you especially being prego....

I can share with you my employee contract...
I would love to see what you have for a contract. How many employees do you have and how many hours do they work? I need someone to work ALL DAY everyday because I am going to expand to where 2-3 people need to be here at any given time. It's financially beneficial to me and I enjoy the task sharing of diapers and crafts and outside supervision and cleaning, etc.

My new employee just moved to our town and is in her second week of college so I can't use any of her friends or classmates. I need someone available all day everyday not just a few hours here and there. My current morning girl does great in general and parents like her and she has been here since August, BUT I am not to the point of letting her go yet. I just don't want to tick her off where she leaves or walks out. My husband does help some like during meal time to supervise an infant or two while I do all the rest, but my husband makes 4x as much as I do and works 50-60 hours a week. I do not intend to use him other than in an emergency. He doesn't have "the basics" that a high school girl would have for childcare so I definitely don't feel comfortable about him being a part time helper in general, poor guy, lol.

Originally Posted by Play Care:
I pay my assistants $10-15 per hour based on experience. I found when I paid the bare minimum, I got the bare minimum. I don't use them all day, every day though. Just a thought.
I would pay someone more, but I only have 6 full time children and 1 part time. All my kids are here by 8 am and none leave until 4 or later so I need someone 8+ hours a day and that is too costly.

Originally Posted by itlw8:
It does not sound like you can depend on her to be there during your maternity leave. If it was me I would start looking for someone new now. If you find someone you like the day they start you call the current person aside and let her go. You do not give notice as you do not want someone mad around the children.

Do update your employee handbook before hiring someone new.
I just don't have the time to train someone new now. Just starting my afternoon helper 2 weeks ago (was suppose to be 3 weeks, but something came up) and I felt nervous because I want them to get very good at running the daycare on their own. I charge high rates for childcare and don't want to screw up with minimal training for employees. Most of my parents have high expectations and I like that but it does add some stress. I'm comfortable with all the parents, but I feel like I need "warn" employees on certain behavior like "catch them up" to the year of experience I have with the parents. I'm pretty much full term, but I did talk to my afternoon helper about how much work she is missing since I've offered her more hours the last few days and I told her I think I will balance out the hours better this summer if she was interested instead of only giving her 3 hours when I need someone almost 9 hours a day. I also told her that I will have to hire a fill in or part time help and she said she was interested in picking up a lot more hours since she'll be available all day so that made me feel great! LOL.

I just need to relax. I hope my morning girl comes in tomorrow. I have not called or texted her today except during nap wishing her that she is feeling better and rested and told her to get a work excuse for yesterday and today from the dr to bring to me. I never got a response. I'm not sure if she is still sick or what, but if she really were she better darn well have called me to give me the heads up and have no problem getting a dr. note. Tomorrow I really want to go out to the daycare I use to work at--i'm friends with my former boss--and want to show off my big pregnancy belly, lol, and chat with her. I also need to stop at the court house building to get tax forms for my employee for 2012 so it's kind of all business related, but I am not in the mood to work with her at all right now especially if she may be sick or getting over something.

It sure takes a lot of work to train someone in and I feel like I know a lot more now than I did last summer. I paid for her cpr/first aid and offered her a higher starting wage without experience. Now I tell potential employees that they must aquire their first aid and cpr and that when it expires I will pay for it. I also start at a basic wage and will work my way up with pay raises. Originally I was going to give my morning girl a pay raise at 6 months which would be February 10? Now I just get so frustrated that I almost want to wait until her 1 year date. I do want to give my afternoon helper a raise at 3 months because she totally deserves it right now. What do you think I should do about that?
sahm1225 06:45 PM 03-09-2013
Abigail - any updates?

To pp- Can you share your employee contract w me too?
Does everyone pay their employees 10-15/he?
HomeMADE 07:49 PM 03-09-2013
It seems that you have your mind set to keep your "morning girl", however I agree with the majority of the other providers that she does not sound like a keeper. I think more important than calling out is the ability to communicate and respect. It does not sound like she has those for you.

On top of that if she is unreliable now, how will it be when you are on maternity leave. She may call out and your not able to work at all. Scary.

I would suggest, if you can afford it, to hire someone to work her same schedule with her. That way you are both training the new person. Tell her that you are doing this so she will have a back up while you are on maternity leave, seeing as she has been out a lot. Then if the new person works out, you will have a back up and or a replacement. It may also motivate her to get it together.

Just a thought.
Abigail 06:45 PM 03-12-2013
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
Abigail - any updates?

To pp- Can you share your employee contract w me too?
Does everyone pay their employees 10-15/he?
Originally Posted by HomeMADE:
It seems that you have your mind set to keep your "morning girl", however I agree with the majority of the other providers that she does not sound like a keeper. I think more important than calling out is the ability to communicate and respect. It does not sound like she has those for you.

On top of that if she is unreliable now, how will it be when you are on maternity leave. She may call out and your not able to work at all. Scary.

I would suggest, if you can afford it, to hire someone to work her same schedule with her. That way you are both training the new person. Tell her that you are doing this so she will have a back up while you are on maternity leave, seeing as she has been out a lot. Then if the new person works out, you will have a back up and or a replacement. It may also motivate her to get it together.

Just a thought.
My new afternoon helper should be a motivator. They NEVER work together. I am only making $150/week right now before taxes so I'm not coming out ahead and can't afford (esp. with all the unpaid time my husband has taken off work to help care for our newborn) can't afford to have someone else on staff until I have more kids. When I go back to work I will go back to my routine of "do this" and "do this". I feel like I trained my afternoon girl extremely well and she has so much potential.

This summer my new girl doesn't have classes so I talked to her about how many hours she needs so I will be giving her more hours and cutting my morning girls hours. I also feel that since I told my morning girl that she doesn't need to pay for child care because he was starting school two weeks after she started training. Now this summer he'll be here all summer if she is working here so I figure I would put in an employee handbook that employees needing childcare may enroll their children if a spot is available for 25% off regular rate. This is about $15/half day so maybe she would decide then if she wants to keep working because I know she expects free childcare. I really wish I would have done an employee handbook for 2013 but had so much on my plate. Now with a newborn demanding me around the clock and having MAJOR baby blues I don't have energy or the mind to do it yet.

I actually have 15 hours of online training I HAVE to get done in the next 2 weeks to qualify for this child care program that I've been involved in for almost a year. I have to make sure I get that done to earn my credits and spending money for daycare improvement. I also have been spending time typing up "reminders" for very specific things that I need her to change. I am still having issues 3 weeks into maternity leave but I know she doesn't like working with me. She did tell my afternoon girl a few weeks ago that she doesn't want me to expand (fill anymore spots) because she doesn't want to work with anyone else. She does the basics for quality care but doesn't know any licensing rules or best practices until I repeat them 50 times. I go above and beyond for everything and really do care, but I hate being a constant reminder. She does fine when I put things in writing but after a week she forgets half of it and goes back to her old ways.

Well I'm done venting. Time to rest before baby wakes again. She called my husband this morning who opens daycare while he is on patenity leave ending this week...........she called at 8:17 when she is scheduled to work at 8:00. She said she overslept and will be here by 8:45. I was upset when I took my newborn to daycare to help my husband prep breakfast. He has no training in meal times but did a good job. I was upset that she was late, but what REALLY blew my whistle was when she walked in at 8:45 and said "sorry the time change threw me off".......UMMM the time change was over the weekend and she was on time on Monday and today is Tuesday. If she kept her mouth shut I would not have been so upset all day. Wonder why I am on high bp medication?! LOL OK now I'm done venting.
sahm1225 04:07 PM 03-13-2013
Pm me later if you need to vent and we can swap stories!

Congrats on the baby - boy or girl?
Sprouts 07:24 PM 03-13-2013
wow i think u had my assisatnt! I know how u feel, EXACTLY how u feel....I remmeber when you were looking for a helper, a contract is sooooo important, it helps to make EVERYTHING clear....its never too late for one, and you def. need to keep track of EVERYTHING! keep all of your texts and document all of the excuses and everything....put it in writing, give her a warning and show it to her....
Tags:employee, helper
Reply Up