Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Squealing toddlers
Sunchimes 06:43 PM 10-01-2015
I took a 13 month old a couple of months ago. Mom and dad said that he had a high pitch squeal, it had been going on for months, they hadn't been able to stop it, and they just wanted to warn me. I just figured it was a passing thing and didn't give it much thought.

Big mistake. Now I wonder if that isn't what forced his old provider into retirement. Now, the other toddler his age has picked it up. It turns into a squealing contest-who can squeal the loudest and longest.

When he is happy, or frustrated, sometimes when he is just calmly sitting in the floor playing, he lets out this ear-pearcing scream. It will bring you up out of your chair! It isn't usually associated with anger--he has a whole other sound for that, but sometimes, it almost seems like the joy is just bubbling up inside and has to explode.

I've had 2 kids in behavior therapy, the head of the challenging behavior program is a friend, I've been trained by experts on challenging behavior, and this has me stumped. I've used everything I can think of, and both parents are on board.

I've ignored, pointedly turned my back, looked them in the eye and firmly said No, put them in their beds for a few minutes, stopped playing with them when they squeal, etc.

Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm about ready to give up and buy earplugs.
daycare 10:22 PM 10-01-2015
Ouch that sounds like nails on the chalk board.

I would stick with a firm no firm face and the remove what they have.

I have the cutest little girl who was doing the and I would look at her with the stink eye ans say NO firmly. If she didn't listen to me I repeated and then gave her a calming jar removing her from the class room.

You can be mad sad happy whatever but you can't scream in the classroom no
Josiegirl 03:04 AM 10-02-2015
I have 2 young 2 yo's that do that! Not a lot but it doesn't take a lot to drive you crazy. They do it for attention so don't feed into it. One of them does it when I lay them down on their cots and put my finger to my mouth whispering ssshhh, she'll screech a couple times. I just walk away. I've been trying hard to ignore it and hoping they outgrow it sometime soon.
SilverSabre25 06:17 AM 10-02-2015
His issue might be more intense than what I've got, but I have a couple squealers. I say "oooo OUCH, that hurts ears! Shhh."

It might also help to model a whisper screech or something more acceptable
littletots 09:03 AM 10-02-2015
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
His issue might be more intense than what I've got, but I have a couple squealers. I say "oooo OUCH, that hurts ears! Shhh."

It might also help to model a whisper screech or something more acceptable
Exactly!
Tags:squealing
Reply Up