Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New DCM Asking for Refund!
Boymom 09:20 AM 01-31-2016
Ok, so I had a dcg start on January 22nd. On Monday the 25th, I had to call her mom in the middle of the day to come pick her up because she had a fever. Well she ended up being sick all week and so she wasn't here at all except for those few hours on Monday. I just got a text from dcm asking to see if she could get refunded. My contract clearly states that they still pay no matter if the dcg is here or not. It's to hold her spot. I just feel bad that I have only watched her one and a half days total. Would y'all stick to your contract and not refund? I feel like I'm not going to keep this family long because I keep having to reiterate my contract. It's very frustrating because I spent soooo much time on this contract!!
Rockgirl 09:24 AM 01-31-2016
If you bend on this, enforcing your written policies goes out the window. Just remind her what the contract states.
finsup 09:39 AM 01-31-2016
Take the emotion out of it, that's always helpful (not easy, but helpful). Since you keep having to reiterate our contract to them, yes, I would hold them to it. They need to know your serious on your policies. I would just send a message saying "As per our contract payments are based on enrollement not attendance. No discounts are given. Hope dg is feeling better and we look forward to seeing her next week!" End of discussion
Boymom 10:24 AM 01-31-2016
Thank you both! She just texted me back saying she was just asking because dcg was literally here for 4 hours...

Ugh
snbauser 10:26 AM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by Jgrantham:
Thank you both! She just texted me back saying she was just asking because dcg was literally here for 4 hours...

Ugh
It may suck, but it's business. I would simply respond with something like "I know it's unfortunate timing that dcg was sick her first week but your payment is for the space and not for attendance. Although she may have not been here, your payment ensured that the spot would still be available to use as soon as she was well enough to attend."
Blackcat31 10:35 AM 01-31-2016
Rates are based on enrollment NOT attendance or time used.

Rinse and repeat.
Thriftylady 10:42 AM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Rates are based on enrollment NOT attendance or time used.

Rinse and repeat.
This. And my contract say "there will be no refunds given for any reason".
daycare 12:01 PM 01-31-2016
I tell parents at enrollment, it is a risk they have to take. Kids always tend to get sick when they first start due to getting acclimated to new germs, not all kids, but most.

If this were me, would just remind them that they have to pay for the spot and there will be no refund, but that you will not require a two week notice or such if they wish to not continue on.

Let dcm know. I had this spot open and ready for you to use and it was not available to anyone else, so it needs to be paid for.

if she gets mad, let her get mad. Don't worry about how she is going to feel about your decisions you make with your business. rules are rules. she signed on with those rules I am sure.
Josiegirl 02:18 PM 01-31-2016
I'm going against the tide here but you have to realize I am not a strong-willed person. I certainly agree with everybody and the points they made BUT being she was only there 4 hours her whole first week, I probably would have made a compromise of some sort. I guess I always believed in 'what goes around comes around' or hope it works out that way for the most part. I get that this is business and that is how my contract reads too(pay 52 weeks a year no matter what). Plus I guess I'm extremely lucky in that none of my parents try to take advantage of me thereby making me feel compromises are a good thing.

But that's just me.
daycare 02:23 PM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I'm going against the tide here but you have to realize I am not a strong-willed person. I certainly agree with everybody and the points they made BUT being she was only there 4 hours her whole first week, I probably would have made a compromise of some sort. I guess I always believed in 'what goes around comes around' or hope it works out that way for the most part. I get that this is business and that is how my contract reads too(pay 52 weeks a year no matter what). Plus I guess I'm extremely lucky in that none of my parents try to take advantage of me thereby making me feel compromises are a good thing.

But that's just me.
I personally would have just started their week the next week. If the shoe was on the other foot I know I wouldn't be happy.

But I would be very clear that this was a one time thing and be very clear you would not be doing this again.
mommyneedsadayoff 02:32 PM 01-31-2016
I can see both sides, but as a parent, newly enrolled, the last thing I would do is ask for the provider to compromise her policies. I would feel bad asking for a favor one week into our relationship. It stinks, but if you give break now and dck continues to get sick frequently (she may be a kid who gets sick a lot), it could really bite you in the bum later on
childcaremom 03:18 PM 01-31-2016
One thing I have learned the hard way... Start off the way you want to continue.

I like how snbauser worded her reply. Friendly yet firm.

If you are having to keep reiterating your contract with her, I think you need to be firm 100% of the time. Refer her back to the contract. As per your contract.... etc etc etc.
LysesKids 04:23 PM 01-31-2016
I have a paragraph in my illness policy that allows a 50% credit (not a refund) towards the next week /month that states IF a parent has to keep their child out 5 straight days (I would count the Monday child left early) AS LONG AS they bring me a Dr's note with diagnoses that same week stating said child has to be out for this amount of time due to said illness... it stops parents from trying to use it as credit for last minute vacation time, but sucks if the family doesn't see a DR. No note, no discount.

I get that kids get sick and raising mine as a single mom, I get the missing so much work crap, but I don't want a parent thinking they can pull one over on me either if they decide not to work one full week - I figure it's my way of compromising
Unregistered 04:58 PM 01-31-2016
My son attends a small daycare center and they have a policy where if a child is out 3 consecutive days, that week's tuition is half off (we pay Mondays for that week's care, so the following week we just need to pay half). I've always thought this was a very fair policy, but I can see it not working in a home daycare, as that could be a big loss of income (I know for me, if my paycheck was $100 less one week than I expected, it would be difficult for me to pay my bills on time). As a parent I can see being frustrated paying for a week your child wasn't able to attend, but at the same time, you signed a contract. And I would also never ask my dcp if I could not pay for that reason.
Blackcat31 05:19 PM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:

But that's just me.
What makes her circumstance or story any different than someone else's?
Where do you draw the line?

Why does the provider have to lose income because of an illness DCG picked up somewhere else? She'd only been in care for 4 hours so I doubt she picked up anything in that small time frame.
... and Hmm 4 hours in? Just in time for the Tylenol to wear off...

Who knows really... point is I dont think the daycare provider should suck it up and take the loss. It's that parent' child. Their responsibility.

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My son attends a small daycare center and they have a policy where if a child is out 3 consecutive days, that week's tuition is half off (we pay Mondays for that week's care, so the following week we just need to pay half). I've always thought this was a very fair policy, but I can see it not working in a home daycare, as that could be a big loss of income (I know for me, if my paycheck was $100 less one week than I expected, it would be difficult for me to pay my bills on time). As a parent I can see being frustrated paying for a week your child wasn't able to attend, but at the same time, you signed a contract. And I would also never ask my dcp if I could not pay for that reason.
Absoloutely!
The business model/plan for a center and how they charge their clients differs greatly from an in home provider.

Your discount, when absent more than 3 days, doesn't come directly out of the providers pocket.
284878 08:41 PM 01-31-2016
Originally Posted by Boymom:
Ok, so I had a dcg start on January 22nd. On Monday the 25th, I had to call her mom in the middle of the day to come pick her up because she had a fever. Well she ended up being sick all week and so she wasn't here at all except for those few hours on Monday. I just got a text from dcm asking to see if she could get refunded. My contract clearly states that they still pay no matter if the dcg is here or not. It's to hold her spot. I just feel bad that I have only watched her one and a half days total. Would y'all stick to your contract and not refund? I feel like I'm not going to keep this family long because I keep having to reiterate my contract. It's very frustrating because I spent soooo much time on this contract!!
Wait this just happen to me. Dcb was fine here on his first day, but got sick at home. When asked I said no refunds, you pay for spot.
Josiegirl 02:59 AM 02-01-2016
BC her circumstance isn't all that different than others and while I consider this a business, it's a very different kind of business than most. It's extremely personalized. And I have given breaks in the past for different things. Did my income take a hit? Sure, and if I couldn't afford it I definitely wouldn't be doing it. Luckily I haven't had families take advantage in a very long time; I'm lucky to have respectful and appreciative dcfs now. For instance, I have a dcm out on maternity leave until April when her older dd will be returning. All I required from her was 50. to keep her spot open. Why, when I probably could have filled it and kept making $$$$$$? Plain and simple I love the family, love the little girl and now I'll have the baby starting in the summer too. If it was an eh family, I wouldn't have saved her the spot. Twice in recent years I didn't charge dcfs due to a loss in their family, once to the tune of $265.
I remember soon after our ds died, we had to bring our car in to be repaired. We didn't know the mechanic all that well, just somebody we dealt with. He never charged us. I always remembered that. So I guess what I believe in is sort of the 'pay it forward' movement.
As I said, if you can afford it and your dcps treat you right, you treat your dcps right, I believe in karma. Word gets spread around. And as I said, I wouldn't do it for everyone, but the dcfs I know who don't take advantage are the ones who receive my consideration.
Now in the OP's circumstance, the dcfs' first week there so OP doesn't really know yet what kind of dcf they are as far as respect, etc. That's why I mentioned compromise. Maybe reduce that week's rate by half or something.
I believe having this business is about making a living, paying your bills, but I also believe we're in a situation where we can help too. That's the beauty of being self-employed; we get to choose.
JMO
Play Care 03:12 AM 02-01-2016
The only families I give breaks to are ones who have been with me forever and have proven their worth - paying on time, picking up on time, keeping sick kids home, not constantly asking for "special" paying for the rare days *I'm* sick without asking if they have to, etc.

A new parent who just started? They would get snbauser's response. Sympathy without a discount.
nannyde 03:27 AM 02-01-2016
I would tell her the fee is for the slot not attendance. It's not any different than the cable internet company charging when you are on vacation. It's the same as the cell phone company charging whether or not you are using the phone. It's not any different than the landlord expecting full rent if you are gone for two weeks.

It's done in many businesses. I don't get why patents don't have a problem with other companies using pay in advance and pay regardless of use.

I would tell her that she needs to be extra cautious about the baby being around sick people and good hand washing and sanitation when in public now that she's paying for daycare. Be extra vigilant while at the doctor's office. With her attending four hours she was obviously infected before arriving.

No discount but a good opportunity to teach methods to decrease likelihood of exposure.
MotherNature 10:54 PM 02-01-2016
Originally Posted by daycare:
I personally would have just started their week the next week. If the shoe was on the other foot I know I wouldn't be happy.

But I would be very clear that this was a one time thing and be very clear you would not be doing this again.
agreed-this. 4 hrs is nothing...as long as you got paid
Ariana 08:29 AM 02-02-2016
I switched starting weeks with my current family due to sickness but the only reason I did it was because I did not want her here for a full 7 days. She had foot and mouth disease so I didn't want it spreading. To ensure she stayed home I switched her start week to the week after and lost that income. I did this because it worked for me...not the other way around.
Reply Up