Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>When Did You Break The News?
Unregistered 07:47 PM 06-04-2012
I am a little over 7 weeks pregnant and I have a new family signing up in July. I haven't told her yet that I'm pregnant. When should I? I was thinking I'd wait until I'm around 12 weeks or so. Advice?
AnneCordelia 04:02 AM 06-05-2012
I always wait until 12 weeks to tell.

I have three clients pregnant right now and they also waited until they were 12 weeks to tell me.
AfterSchoolMom 04:53 AM 06-05-2012
I think that, if you can, waiting until 12 weeks is a good idea. This pregnancy I had to tell my existing clients earlier (about 8-9 weeks) because I was VERY VERY ill. Congratulations!
GretasLittleFriends 06:00 AM 06-05-2012
I think it depends partially on how you're feeling. How long are you planning on taking off when the little one is born? When I had my last one, I think we told everyone (including daycare parents) by 8 weeks. I was too excited to keep it a secret.

Some people found out early. We hosted a bachelor's party and my hubby's cousin's wife didn't want to come up with her DH, as she couldn't party because she was pregnant. It's my house I wasn't leaving... Anyway, we ended up telling them before the rest of the family so she came. I have a delicious recipe for virgin strawberry daquiris if you're interested. I was about 4 weeks then. The grandparents (our parents) found out at 5 or 6 weeks.

Even if you wait until you're 12 weeks, that still gives your parents more than 6 months to find back-up care depending on what your return to work plans are.
Unregistered 07:50 AM 06-05-2012
Wait till 12 weeks or later. They will either stay or go regardless of when you tell them.
DCBlessings27 09:23 AM 06-05-2012
I'm 10 weeks pregnant. I've told a couple of parents. But, one was one who recently left bc she was going on 3 months maternity leave. The other is my currently pregnant dcm. I only told them because they both knew we'd been trying for over a year. They were happy for me.

I've been avoiding telling the other parents. I'll tell the others after 12 weeks. I'm taking 3 months off though, so I'm hoping the parents don't leave when I tell them.
cheerfuldom 09:40 AM 06-05-2012
I told at 14 weeks and also included details on what my maternity leave will be like. I dont think most parents will care that you are pregnant so long as they know that you will not be taking off an enormous amount of time with the birth and that you will still be capable of doing your job both before and after the birth. I'm lucky though in that this is my 3rd pregnancy while doing daycare. I know for sure what works for me and what I can handle and none of the parents blinked an eye about the pregnancy. I had to tell my new parent at the interview and they still started this week! I am 16 weeks along.
Tags:pregnancy - parent notification, provider pregnant
Reply Up