Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Do People Sign Up If They Won't Be Here
Country Kids 09:15 AM 09-20-2012
Why do people sign up for preschools and daycare if they aren't going to be there?

I thought about having be here by a certain time or not come but thought it was a bit harsh. Maybe I should have!

I have three parents today that have been are very late-one arrived and two are still on their way-sometime. We only have about 45-60 min left in our preschool day.

One to two arrive late every single morning and disrupt whatever we are doing as the kids think they all have to get up and see who's here.
lovemykidstoo 09:30 AM 09-20-2012
This, IMO, goes right to a respect issue. So many parents (not all) really don't have the respect for what we do. They really are clueless as to what it takes to run a daycare and/or preschool.
cheerfuldom 09:39 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Why do people sign up for preschools and daycare if they aren't going to be there?

I thought about having be here by a certain time or not come but thought it was a bit harsh. Maybe I should have!

I have three parents today that have been are very late-one arrived and two are still on their way-sometime. We only have about 45-60 min left in our preschool day.

One to two arrive late every single morning and disrupt whatever we are doing as the kids think they all have to get up and see who's here.
I would have an arrival time that everyone HAS to be there, especially if you do a curriculum. Mine is 9am. if you arent here by then, you cant come at all (and you still pay for the day)
daycare 09:44 AM 09-20-2012
I had this issue and put a stop to it by setting a cut off time.
And a nice morning walk.

Class stArts at 9:05. If you are not here by then, then you will need to wait until after lunch 1pm to drop off.

Of course if there is something going on and you need to drop later for some reason, I will arrange to allow you to arrive later.

I sent my best Client home 4 times last year.
Country Kids 09:45 AM 09-20-2012
I do a curriculum so then I either have to try and send it home (the things they missed), put it aside or throw it away. Its just very, very frustrating.

I wonder if parents do this in outside the home preschools/centers. I would be curious to know.
Nickel 10:02 AM 09-20-2012
I think a lot of parents dont realize that they are even doing anything wrong. As a parent I would have never thought twice about showing up only when my child had to be there. So if I wasn't scheduled to go in until x time I would drop my dd off as close to that time as possible. Because I want my child with me, kwim??? I am also always late. Usually only a few minutes, but still. I wouldn't even think that I was being disruptive to the day. Not that I was purposely being disrespectful, just that I was ignorant.

I think there are two types of parents. Those that would rather there child be in daycare ever minute of the day, and those that only have their child in daycare when they absolutely have to. (With some parents that fall in between.) Maybe you have the latter parents????
Sugar Magnolia 10:11 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I do a curriculum so then I either have to try and send it home (the things they missed), put it aside or throw it away. Its just very, very frustrating.

I wonder if parents do this in outside the home preschools/centers. I would be curious to know.
Yep. They sure do . I do try to make it clear that if they miss the designated time, they likely won't get a chance to do the project, activity or worksheet for that day. If I have time.in the afternoon, I will try to give the late-arriving child a chance to do it, but parents know if they miss morning preschool they are not guaranteed afternoon time.
Country Kids 10:12 AM 09-20-2012
No, I have a few that come just for preschool-about 1/2 my clients. These are the ones that always run late-always. We are talking anywhere from 15 min-45 min. almost every single day!
Nickel 10:47 AM 09-20-2012
wow! yea i can see how that would get aggrivating. then yes what is the point if you dont show up....
daycare 02:51 PM 09-20-2012
I have a mom that was great and so was the child that was with me for 4 years. HOWEVER, they were late every single day. NOt one time did they ever make it on time. Well the DCF decided to pull the DCK and put DCK in a preschool. \

It started at 815am and mine started at 905......of course mom asked me for the last two weeks she was in my care if she could come earlier to prep her for her new school????? Of course I said yes....

The mom did not see me as anything other than a babysitter, even though I do an entire preschool program.

Oh and by the way....the mom called me on the 2nd week and said I feel so stupid for taking her out of your care, we are paying $700.00 more a month, get less hours of care and she is doing the same exact stuff you did with her, some she has already done...............

What do I say...................no mater what you do, sometimes you just cant win...................
Reply Up